Persistent Jetting Problems

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by leo015, Feb 20, 2014.

1. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    If the new gasket does not solve the leaking, what should i turn my attention to? Also the leaking continues after the scoot is turned off, maybe it's a clue.

2. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    You have seen the gasket is damaged. repair it (and eliminate that from the equation) and then move onto the next step.

3. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Yep, right thinking. Just ordered from Dellorto, also purchased a 112 Main Jet as the 110 bogged for like a second before accelerating, hope this will solve it. Do you know how many days they take to ship? I live in Cyprus.

4. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    4 days or so?

5. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Hmm, i hope it doesn't take longer! I need my scoot :( Hope 112 is enough and i don't need a bigger one. My nerves are starting to break down. Thanks for the advice all by the way.

6. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Remain calm. He who accomplishes great things does so one thing at a time. You are getting to the bottom of it - and you're learning as you go. Everybody who knows anything about motors goes through it. Just remember -
    Keep calm
    Work methodically and carefully
    Air-tightness is everything
    Eliminate problems one at a time and think rationally about what the symptoms are and what might be causing them.

7. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Hehe, good one! Are there any symptoms i should look for to see if 112 is still a bit lean?

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    "Good things come to those who wait..." Your patience will be rewarded.

A lean mixture makes the engine sound a bit 'strained and ragged' in the way it runs and the centre insulator of the plug will be pale grey to white in colour. Once the mixture is correct the engine's running will feel comparatively smoother and more refined.

9. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Hey, when applying the gasket is there any special paste or something i should use or just put it on?

10. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Just put it on. Make sure it's in the groove so it doesn't get pinched when you tighten the bowl up. This is one of those rare occasions where sealant is no good. The petrol attacks it and then it tends to come away and block the slow circuit/jets.

11. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Alright thanks. I'm waiting for the gasket to arrive. Temporarily, i closed the bowl without any air leaks using the 110 jet so i can at least use my scoot, even with the leaking.

12. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Okay so the gasket got completely destroyed and it's no where near air tight. As a result the bike won't move because even the 120 jet is too small to compensate with the air loss. While i'm waiting for the gasket from Dellorto, is there anything i could do temporarily to at least use the scoot?

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You could try a cardboard gasket as an emergency measure. I have used cornflakes packets in the past for this and they work well.

Place the cardboard over the float bowl, print side down and while holding it all still, run your finger around the inside of the float bowl to create a crease in the cardboard that you can use as a cutting guide for the shape to cut out. Mark around the outside and the screw holes with a pencil and set to it with the scissors, making sure that once it's cut out, that it follows the metal contact area as closely as possible. Punch out the screw holes with a match stick, paper clip or the scissors if they are pointed, tidy the holes up so that the screws fit through easily, fit it and try it.

You might be surprised as to how effective it is as an emergency gasket.

14. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Thanks, i'll try it!

15. leo015

leo015 Member

Rides:
    Beta Ark LC
    Is it normal if i just kickstart - without the engine running, and it's pouring down? I mean could it lead us to something else?