Oxford or Mammoth chain and disk lock

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eddy89, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Eddy89

Eddy89 New Member

Hi,

As per previous post, I'm looking to get a Honda Vision 110cc and have received great advice on helmet choices.

My question now is in regards to security.

I am looking to get a chain and disk lock and have narrowed down to the following:

Chain
    Oxford Hardcore XL Motorbike Chain Lock - 12mm Links (around £75)
    or Mammoth Thatcham Square Chain - 12mm Links (around £55)
    Is the Oxford chain worth the extra £20 over the Mammoth? They both have 12mm links.

Disk Lock
    Mammoth Thatcham 11Mm Shackle Disc Lock (around £25)
    What do you think of this disk lock? would you recommend any other disk lock for the same price or slightly cheaper?

Does anyone have any of the above? If so, what's been your experience with these?

That's all I am considering for security, am I missing anything essential?

Thanks

2. Tim

Tim New Member

Hi

I can't offer you any advice on those particular products, but from personal experience make sure you check the weight of whatever you buy. I went a bit overboard when I bought my security gear last year because of the local theft risk. I had to buy a second chain for out and about because the first one would have been like riding 2-up all the time :).

After a lot of shopping around I got my gear from here: http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/ (sorry can't get the link pop-up box to work properly). Not sure if they're still competitive but they were last year and the service was good. The shackle lock I got, which fitted through my front disc, claimed to be too chunky for bolt cutters as did the chain for at home.

If you're looking for security at home I got one of these to help secure my bike at home (front of the house was the only option and not the best area) http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/concave-built-in-anchor and it's immense. I had to dig a hole and concrete it in but there's nothing above ground to attack when it's done.

Sorry this isn't exactly the answer you were after but I hope it helps.

Tim.

Eddy89 likes this.
  3. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    have a look on you tube for folk testing security chains...I cant remember the link but it certainly opens your eyes to how easy and speed at which some of them are compromised

Eddy89 likes this.
  4. james

james Member

Both chains are ok at best but can be cut with bolt croppers easy if saomeone wanted to.

If you want "the best" there is only one choice ALAMX. The almax chains are the best hands down
    and will keep your pride and joy safe as long as it's bolted to something secure.

All them cheapo disc locks and chains can all be beat and very fast in some cases, yes they
    are ok to stop the local rif-raf in most cases or at least put them off but anyone who wants
    your bike/scooter will get pass them easy if they want to, but saying all that it's better to have
    either one of them than nothing.

Yes the Almax does cost a bit but me myself i'd rather pay more now than pay a whole lot more
    when your bike/scooter is gone.

Link to Almax http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Eddy89 likes this.
  5. technodimwit

technodimwit Active Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R

Eddy89 likes this.
  6. Eddy89

Eddy89 New Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, that video is a real eye opener. :eek:

Almax look really impressive. I'm surprised with how easy it is to break the Oxford chain.

Does anyone know how much the Almax 16mm 1.5m chain weighs?

Also, how does the Squire SS65CS Lock fair against attacks with freeze compressed air?

7. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    oxford tend to price things a little high as they have a name a lot of ppl trust. Mammoth make good stuff. i have a master lock that cost £35 from B&Q.

dont pay too much for a chain. at the end of the day ppl will take what they want all you can do is slow them down a £70 oxford one is no better that my master lock that as the same rating

Eddy89 likes this.
  8. technodimwit

technodimwit Active Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R
    Whilst i agree with the clip from yuo tube, that's a massive set of bolt croppers to be carrying around.
    might look a bit suspect carrying them down the road..

"i'm just helping my nan with the pruning of her rose's..;)

Tim and Eddy89 like this.
  9. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000

agree partly with what you say...thing is, folk dont see a big f'off van pull up in the middle of the street, a couple of blokes get out with angle grinder, cut thro' a chain and throw a 1000cc top of the range bike into the van.

some folks would miss a set of crops if they were the size of a London Bus...its a sad world when you cant leave something locked up in a secure location and expect it to be there when you return

Eddy89 likes this.
  10. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    NO WORD OF A LIE. there was 9 bikes stolen from my place of work in 3 days. the locks was cut with bolt cutters. shit happens

Eddy89 likes this.
  11. Eddy89

Eddy89 New Member

I'm convinced on the Almax, it's going to be the 16mm series III as I can fit it under the scooter's seat when out and about.

Just tried to get some insurance quotes via a comparison website to see how much the Almax would take off the premium but these chains are not on the list of security devices??? Pretty much every other chain is (Oxford, Mammoth, Abus...) but not Almax, why is that?

12. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    crap chain???? i dont know just asking

13. james

james Member

Have no idea why they aint on the insurance database as almax have been around for years now, but i
    can tell you first hand these are the best chains you can get end of, they are solid as anything and make
    "ALL" of the known makes and the ones posted above look like they are made of cheese.

The 16mm chain is what you need as it's more than upto the job, my mate downstairs has the 19mm
    version on his CBR600 motorbike and the thing is MASSIVE and weighs a ton.

If you use this chain and bolt it to something solid your scooter/bike aint going anywhere.

Eddy89 likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim New Member

It was a 19mm link chain that I went for... which was the reason I had to buy a second chain that I could ride around with. I should have read the "weight per metre" before I clicked buy ;). But it was reassuring to have a chain for at home which needed more than a few seconds attention with a pair of bolt cutters (allegedly!).

Eddy89 likes this.
  15. Eddy89

Eddy89 New Member

I'll call up a few insurance companies for quotes and will mention the Almax chain as a possible security device. I'm quite curious to find out how they rate it now :)