Other road users

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Ellismit101, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Hi ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls hope your'e all well today.
    Couple weeks i recentley got a 50cc firefox50 top speed 40mph im on a Cbt and passed my test last month. A quick questions im on a 40mph road and im still getting cars over taking me even on a 30mph ive had cars over taking me whats best to do stick to left of the road and let them over take me or stay in the middle. And second question has any of you bikers had any van drivers pushing you off the road

2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Stick in the middle of your lane. Ride assertively and defensively. It's your lane when you are in it USE IT. Do not move over unless there is 100% guaranteed a danger to them actually hitting you. They do it because you are on L plates, Every CBT rider experiences it. I experienced it even when I was on 125`s. Do the speed limit, Stick to your guns. You are in more danger riding in the gutter than you are in the middle of the lane with an idiot overtaking you. If anything happens as a result of their actions, it's them at fault and you would get a nice insurance payout ;)

I recommend investing in a cheap helmet camera or a camera you can attach to your scooter. Just in case anything happens, video is evidence that can't be disputed. ITS YOUR LANE, DEFEND IT, USE IT.

MARSH likes this.
  3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Hold your ground, you never ride in the gutter like you would on a pushbike buddy.

if cars are overtaking in a 40 they are speeding , YOUR NOT so they are in the wrong.
    vans and cars will always try to bully you over, do not let them, hold your ground , place yourself on the road like your cbt instrutor told you and dont let them bully you to the edge.

that roadside edge is full of mud / dirt grime and grease, that on you tyres is like greasing up your surfboard only takes a slight touch on the front brake and your front end can slide out from you, hitting a kerb with your body will do more damage than just a slide and barrel roll on the road. let the cyclists use the kerbside and you use the road its your right as a scooterist to ride on a safe roadsurface.

MARSH likes this.
  4. Ellismit101

Ellismit101 New Member

Cheers guys feel more confident every time i go out on the road

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    just stick to your guns and take mine and Scootz advice onboard , dont let them bully you , you have every right to that road as well as them be if your on a 50cc with l-plates or a 1000cc leader bike .

6. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I agree with all comments above and ive ridden all powers of bike. Youre in front so its your lane and their risk to take, cagers think they own the road. If i have someone close behind i move into the right tyre line to be in a dominant position, ill flash my brake lights (dont brake check them or they will hit you) just engage the switch on the lever a few times so they get the message. i agree with the helmet camera as well. You can pick up a cheap one that will do what it should. Ive got a rear facing fixed camera on my bike and a helmet cam. When people see it they often back off.

7. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

I find I need to stay in the centre of my lane otherwise when i need to be back there it's harder to get back in as riding kerb side is an invite for everyone to pass

Only issue so far has been bloody taxi drivers who think they can do what the hell they want.

Done a couple of hours riding today and they have been the biggest menace!

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you will get used to becoming the bully Kris and ellis, you just gotta remember middle the road is yours , the gutter is for pushbikes only ;) .

it becomes second nature after a few months riding, you go into automatic mode and start to use the road as yours. you just have to be confident in yourself and your scooter thats all it is. i bet in a couple months you can look back on this thread and see your riding style has changed for the better , your no longer getting pushed around by cars but holding your ground and making them move round you by standing your ground and riding with a more advanced road positioning. and you will find your riding more defensively to .

9. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

I love riding in the centre but i try and balance being sensible, keeping a good speed but not being a hindrance to other road users. Not the easiest act to balance but I'm trying.

Taxi drivers have been my worst experience so far and doddery old dears in Nissan's!

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    trying to balance being kind and considerate to others is hard , more so on a bike. use that center line its yours buddy dont try to balance to much or you end up going back to gutter riding and filling those tyres with dirt and much ;) .

keep with the flow of traffic your not hindering anyone , keep your ground, and ride defensive .

11. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    im a lorry driver so I can see both sides of this problem as a hgv driver up behind you on a single lane road ,,your a pain,,mind you so are tractors, if you can let lorry's pass when you can may be pull over in to a layby it will keep us happy I know you cant go any faster, and I don't expect you to ride in the side of the road because of the poor state of the roads , you hit a pot hole and your off , and guess who will run you over the bloody idiot who's right up[ your arse
    as the others have said stick to your bit of the road my be if the minister of transport is held up enough they may scrap the silly 28 mph limit on 50cc
    ps youv met my mum in her Nissan then

12. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    just read this post again you say your ped can do 40 , still not very fast for main roads but a dam site better than 28

13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    same here TD mine only tops 40mph but i refuse to be bullyed :)

i treat the road like im a lion on prey lol its mine all mine

14. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Everyone is in a hurry these days, no one takes time to listen to the birds and see the sights, think of yourself as helping drivers to slow down and relax a little. The impatient stressed businessman, the impatient lorry drivers who think you're like a tractor and just want you to pull over so they can pass (two dogs), all need to use this fine opportunity to slow down and look around and enjoy life. The 50cc ped was invented by God for that reason, why else would he have made it. You are saving lives by slowing these people down. Hit a child at 30mph there's an 80% chance they'll live. Scooters are a positive influence on the road and you rarely find a stressed rider as we take time to look around, smell the air and laugh as we pass the people sat in traffic. If you worry about cars bullying you put a lorry sign on the back "Slow-wide load", that'll confuse them. In fact, you are the bully by stopping them passing so laugh as you watch them try!