Opinions... studs n nuts or bolts for exhaust?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Buzz, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Hi finished rebuilding my lads engine, New crankshaft, piston, head and more. Before this work I had snapped the exhaust stud so drilled it out but ended up damaging the thread. Having now replaced the head I have nice new holes. The question is whether to use exhaust studs and nuts or exhaust bolts on the new one? Anyone know if one is better than the other?

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I always use new exhaust studs, even if they are not already snapped.
    The reason being that, even though they look ok, due to the hot and cold nature of the engine, they can get brittle and snap after you've done all the hard work. Then you have to go through the rigmarole of fetching it all off again just to replace a broken stud.
    For the miniscule cost of a couple of studs, replace them with new. And nuts as well.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Are you thinking studs are better than bolts?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm ive always wondered why studs are preferable to bolts...
    Something to do with tensile strength i assume but have no real idea...

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Ease of assembly possibly too?

6. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    years ago they used studs on exhausts but fitted brass nuts saved all that rusting between stud and nut

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Ease of assembly makes sense as you can line up exhaust flange holes easily even at odd angles. Ill probably stick with studs then.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, i was just thinking of drag motors, its nearly all studs in them and hardly any bolts...

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

A lot of motors still do this.

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Always use studs. That way you can hang the exhaust flange on them and fit the nuts.
    With using a bolt you are risking cross threading the hole unless you can see and access it easily.