Oil light flashing and bike won't run properly

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Max s, May 17, 2017.

1. Max s

Max s New Member

I have a Peugeot speedfight 3 2T moped.
    Had this problem start about 2 months ago, slowed down at a junction and my oil light started flashing fast and the bike cut out and wouldn't start. Left it in my garage overnight and it worked again in the morning absolutely fine. On the weekend, my oil light started flashing again and when I go below 2.5k rpm or above 6k rpm my bike bogs out and won't start again for about a minute. Replaced my reed valves as were slightly bent, also there is a loud rattle in the engine (not sure if it's related) and phoned a few garages but they have no clue. My bike used to top at around 50 but now barely reaches 30
    Please help has been doing my head in can't figure this out!

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    DO NOT RUN THE BIKE !!!!!

that oil light is flashing for a reason, twostroke engines DO NOT have engine oil in them like fourstroke bikes and motorcars.

on your speedy 3 there will be an oil bottle and you need to always keep this topped up with TWOSTROKE MIXING OIL, there are a few makes, putoline - yamalube etc etc, they all do one thing and that is keep your bike engine lubricated , the engine sucks in fuel and air and at the same time the oil pump squirts a tiny amount of oil direct into the fuel and air path, this oil then gets mixed with the fuel and air and its coated in the engine.

when your bike bogs out and stops that is called a soft seize its a dagerous thing to have happen as it leads to a heat seize where the piston gets stuck in the cylinder, the more you run the bike without oil the more damage your doing to the engine, infact you can do so much damage you end up having to have a new engine and they are NOT CHEAP.

so Max my advice is very simple, PLEASE PLEASE go to a bike shop and get a 1lt bottle of twostroke mixing oil , when you get home you need to get your oil and find the oil bottle on your scooter, unscrew the cap and fill it up to the fill mark. then give your bike a few kickstarts to help get some oil into the engine. once thats done, start your bike and let it sit for around 5-10 mins without throttle so the bike gets lubricated up again.

Next i want you to put that bottle of oil into your seat bucket under your seat and every say 3 days check your oil level and get into the habit of checking it and topping up the oil bottle, NEVER trust the oil light sometimes they stop working and you can run out of oil so ALWAYS check it with your eyeballs.

Loud rattle in engine : possible if you have run out of oil you have done some damage to the bottom end bearings / top end bearing so you need to get bike into a shop or remove the variator side case and variator and check the crank for any excessive play. damage comes from the bearings heating up to a point they start to wear very fast and the ball bearings break down, this causes a knocking rattling sound when it happens as the crank now does not ride smooth in circles but has a sort of egg shape swing due to the bearings have failed and are damaged.

Oh and welcome to the scooter shack buddy

3. Max s

Max s New Member

Thanks Tamiyacowboy. I've checked My oil level and the tank is 3/4 full... :/ strange one I know my way round An engine but this has baffled me

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    pull off the variator case, check the belt and remove variator and check rollers.

5. Max s

Max s New Member

Just checked rollers, they Are fine :/

6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    did you fit new gasket between the motor casing and the reed valve block, its not ideal to use the old one it should be replaced with a new one. also checked the area for leaks ie air getting into that area due to slack bolts or split /damaged rubber hose to the carb from airbox.

possible dirt entered the carb and semi blocked the main jet causing a starvation of fuel at higher rpms ?

7. Max s

Max s New Member

Is there anywhere else I can contact you? Trying to sort this out but don't have hundreds pounds to take to a garage. :/ my carb is clean now too. Can a gasket be the issue?

8. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You need to check your piston for scoring, your lack of performance hints at a mild heat seizure. Peugeots run pretty lean when it comes to oil and the flashing light indicates an oil pump problem. The oil pump hasn't failed fully or it would cut the engine out (the Dellorto CDI has this protection feature built-in).

9. Max s

Max s New Member

Thanks merlin. The bike does cut out when I either go over around 5.5/6k rom or below 3k rpm. It won't start for another around 20 seconds after that either. From my understanding it seems my oil pump is blocked as if I try suck oil out the input side of it, oil comes out but if I try suck the output side nothing comes out. Is there any way of unblocking this? As firstly I don't have the money to buy a new pump and secondly I can't even find a replacement online

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

WAHEY:D MERLIN'S BACK!

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    OK, try this. Unplug the oil pump and take off the oil pipe at the carb end. Turn the ignition on, then plug the oil pump in and leave the ignition on. The pump will go into 'bleed' mode and start to cycle for about 5 minutes, so you'll need to have something to catch the oil that drips out. It's probably worth checking the oil filter that is in the line from the oil tank to see if that's blocked too, but you'll need to either drain the oil tank or clamp the pipe to stop oil from leaking while you check it.

I think that the oil pump has an air lock and you may see this get purged out during the bleed cycle. The pump has a pressure sensor that makes the light flicker if there's not enough oil pressure inside it, so an air bubble will cause that fault.

12. Max s

Max s New Member

So without the bike on, just the ignition? And leave it for a while and it should come out? Is that what you're saying yeah? Gonna give it a go a bit later as it's pouring down with rain at the moment

13. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yeah, exactly that. Unplug the pump (the plug with the pink and red/white wires), turn on the ignition (don't start the engine) and then plug it back in. It puts the pump into 'priming mode' so that it bleeds all of the air out of it. This is what Peugeot do at the factory. It will pump slowly at first, then for the last minute or so it will pump faster. You'll hear the pump gently click as it does it and you'll feel a 'pulse' at the pump if you touch the pump while it does it. I've learned a lot about this Dellorto CDI and oil pump system in recent months.

14. Max s

Max s New Member

Merlin, I tried this thing what you said, I didn't seem to hear or see anything happening :/ very confused lol. On my cdi, it says langfang kokusan ACPH1(45km) MC-LK12 2F1 if that helps. I left the ignition on for around 10 minutes but not even a drop of oil came out the pump. There is definitely oil getting to the end of the input side of the pump tube so could it be the electrics for the pump maybe?

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yours is a speedfight 3. I think the pump is mechanical if I remember right.
    Did your oil tank ever go totally empty?

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

And is it LC or AC?

17. Max s

Max s New Member

It is a Peugeot speedfight 3 2T AC. Merlin seems to know the system. It has a electronic oil pump injection system and no it's never gone empty

18. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmm possibly the oil pump has a bad connection, try unplugging it and switching the ignition on to see if the oil light flashes different.
    And take a look at the oil pump plug connector, make sure its not badly corroded or broken

19. Max s

Max s New Member

Yeah. Had a look at everything. Seems fine no loose or corroded connections, tried unplugging but makes no difference.

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

There is something in the back of my mind about this, but I just cant remember. I used to work at a peugeot dealership so im quite familiar with them...