NRG DT fixer upper

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Lukash, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Hey guys, first project in a long time. Picked up a cheap NRG Power DT non running and been working on it for the last week or so.

[​IMG]

After close inspection, a lot more work than I hoped. Poor things been through some shit. Previous owner showed me it running but cuts out after a few mins, said it was set up for a 70 kit but had standard barrel on, had soft seized at some point. Noticed immediately no cylinder shroud on an AC, too rich, overheating - easy fix?

Anyways heres what I found after a week of tinekring:

-Setup is standard barrel, yasuni pipe (not sure which possibly Yasuni R) 3x 4.5g 3x 5g rollers, 68 main jet
    -Barely any panel screws
    -missing reed gasket
    -missing exhaust gasket
    -missing kickstart pinion
    -belt shagged

What i've done so far:

Ordered some jets in, went down to 58 main. Cleaned out carb with compressed air (dont have any carb cleaner atm). New spark. Still the same result. Tried some throttle, flooded it a bit and noticed leaking from base gasket and pipe.

[​IMG]

Checked compression with the ole' thumb over spark hole technique, pretty weak. Replacement gaskets ordered. While waiting for them to arrive I cleaned up the yasuni.

before:

[​IMG]

After wire brush and wipe down:

[​IMG]

Finished:

[​IMG]

Package arrived today, new gaskets, reed and exhaust gasket, manual choke, new airbox sponge, kickstart pinion. Fitted them all, compression feels a lot better but still won't run properly, no more leaks at least..

Off work tomorrow, so plan to pop to halfords and get some proper carb cleaner and get the thing spotless. Struggling for ideas if that doesn't work, need to check oil seals but dont see any oil leaking in CVT or fan cover. Stay tuned.

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

I remember helping identify that pipe. That's cleaned really nicely - good work! :D

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Use a compression tester.
    You can never know compression with just your finger.
    Saying that, you had the barrel off to change the base gasket

4. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125

It lives! won't move at the moment though. Transmission seems to work as it should when turning over by hand... maybe air leak?

Doesn't have a centre stand currently, so will try to wedge it up on something to see if the wheel spins up with no load

5. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Welp, scratch that got it rolling and nearly died - Just needed a LOT of revs for the clutch to bite. inlet manifold ripped and sprayed fuel on the back wheel - Tokyo drifted out of my driveway!

Anyway, inlet ordered hopefully be able to take it down the street tomorrow

scubabiker likes this.
  6. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Still pulling my hair out over this thing, engine runs absolutely perfect but no pull away.

Changed out the very worn and about to snap belt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revs up to about 7k but just doesn't bite. Unfortunately, I don't have an impact gun or clutch tool at home right now so struggling to get a better look. I can see a white contra spring though, and the old belt was polini so thinking this might have upgraded clutch springs...

[​IMG]

Next step, try to get hold of my old impact gun from my mums garage...

7. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    After thinking about this some more, I think the issue might be more intake based. I'm holding the throttle wide open in the 2 clips below and as you can see it revs up and drops to idle with the throttle still wide open. Any ideas, I'm stumped.

8. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    So after some digging and googling, figure this must still be a compression problem due to the lightly scored top end.

Project on hold until payday, then I'm gonna wack a polini sport 70 on. Was the longterm plan anyways, but didn't want to shell out just yet. Hey ho, the show must go on.

9. pupo-cro

pupo-cro New Member

Did you consider DR.Evo 70 instead of polini? Its slightly cheaper and produce slightly more power? Its not that well made like polini and needs few finishing touches but its bang for buck. Only, I dont know if Dr.Evo is available at your local dealer.

Did you manage to check intake? Also, I would check seals on crankshaft.

10. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    I think im gonna stick with polini as I'd like a bit of reliability and have had good experiences with their cast cylinders in the past, Dr Evo is a bit less common in the UK it seems, would end up being around the same price.

Intakes all fine, reeds look almost new, manifold replaced and new gaskets.

Both barrel and piston lightly scored so willing to bet it's that. Probably gonna wack crank seals on my order as they're only a couple quid but can't see any oil leaks from variator side at least.

11. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    upload_2019-4-30_13-30-59.png

Necessary bits ordered - lets get this sucker on the road!

Decided to try the malossi kit in the end. It apparently has a teeny bit more power on the low end - but I imagine it'll perform about the same as polini IRL

12. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125

Malossi kit fitted and running. Previous owners red sidelights have got to go! What a stupid idea.

Took it around the block and its not running properly, revs chug up and down when you give it throttle kinda like when a motorcycle is out of gear.

Think it might be a carb set up thing. Going to try riding with the choke on and if it's better I'll play with the mix and raise the needle

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    milo2025 likes this.
  13. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125

Raised the needle 2 notches, 1/4 turn in on the mix screw and seems much happier.

the exhaust was blowing at the end can, so did grandads ole cardboard gasket trick - seems to have sorted it. Used the rest of the cardboard box to bodge together a temporary L plate bracket.

[​IMG]

Also removed the red sidelight bulbs, nothing to replace them with atm but would rather not get pulled over every day..

Also discovered the speedo dont work, so adding that to the list. Can use a phone app for the time being.

Now just needs a proper test ride, whenever it decides to stop pouring outside!

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  14. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Rain here too, just in time for the bank holiday weekend wouldn't ya know it lmao!

15. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    Oh yiss, got it working right finally. Just needed a bigger jet, at 74 now. Still a little on the rich side but will keep it here for a little while to aid with running in the cylinder.

Did a quick 10 miles tonight. Running sweet and nippy too!

Up next is cosmetics as the fairings are a right state

milo2025 likes this.