NRG 50 piston removal question

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Buzz, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Before i start removing panels can anyone tell me if i can remove the head and do a piston change without removing the engine from a Piaggio nrg 50. Its got no compression so ill do piston first but id rather not remove the engine if i can help it.

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Don't know that particular scooter but it should be possible if you remove the spark plug access panel below the front of the seat and the helmet bucket.
    If that isn't enough then the other underseat panels can be removed but yes there should be no need to remove the engine.

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    got a funny feeling you can replace without dropping motor out of frame ;) thats an NRG frame looking at the side walls on the frame itself

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

I was just going to say put a rag round the connecting rod and stuff it in to the open crankcase and it popped up on screen in that video.
    You can bet your boots the circlips will be dropped in to the crankcase if you don't lol

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Good advice, ive only ever done piston changes on an engine that ive had off the bike which is easy. Looks fiddly while its still on as theres no space, and i can guarantee ill drop something into the case!! Other than piston and rings and potentially leaky gaskets on the head what else can cause low compression?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017