Noob seeking advice comments help for new scooter purchase etc

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Phil@Notts, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

OK the basics
    middle aged - usage 2 - 3 times a week mainly shopping, visiting family etc, just passed CBT and looking at new 125's
    Main choice is Honda PX125
    The problems
    Found it very difficult to find or get test rides - the only scooters I've ridden was an old secondhand Suzuki AP50 scooter (think it was that) about 20 years ago and recently a Lexmoto 50cc for the CBT
    i can't be bothered with gears (just yet) but need something to get me out of the house - former keen cyclist with ill health - tried power assisted cycle but still can't get more than a mile or so so that's why I've decided on scooter (50cc no good because of fast roads off the estate)
    Looked at PCX125 (hoping to test ride in coming week or so)
    NMAX but local dealership is p**s poor customer service - read poor reviews online went anyway and experienced what had been noted. Yamaha HO have told me to contact a person at dealership but for me it's too late.
    Speedfight 3 + Chinese stuff
    Been told by numerous to spend the extra (although tight budget) and get Japanese

But I also need helmet, gloves, jacket, boots and if I go for the PCX125 I'm struggling with (should I say) decent safety clothing.

Questions
    Do I need "decent" safety clothing? saw a new Leopard helmet Flipup on fleabay £40
    Can pick up a slight second (£120 new) jacket for £40
    Gloves?
    Boots (are they really necessary?)

Am I right to pay the higher price for the PCX? I might occasionally go some distance but not being able to "practice / test" I can't answer this just now.
    Has anyone purchased and been happy with the cheaper online helmets?

Apologies if TLDR but I'd sooner try to answer all your questions as best I can

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Honda PCX is a good choice.
    JOJO on here (not seen her for a while) has had 2 now, the first being written off.

Yes you need decent safety gear.
    Jacket and trousers most definately. In the event of an unfortunate one, you will thank your clothing for being what it is.
    If the budget is tight, then fleabay is your friend.
    There's loads of used textile jackets and trousers on there, but pay attention to the photos, better still go have a look and try it on first.
    Good makes are RST, Belstaff, Alpine Stars, Furrigan, Frank Thomas.
    All my gear is Furrigan.
    Make sure it has the inner liners with it. You will appreciate it in the rain and cold weather.
    Make sure it has the protective armour/pads as well (shoulders/elbows/back/knees/hips).

Helmets:
    Obvious statement is buy the best you can afford.
    I've seen the Aldi and Lidl Specials at £30 & £40, yes they have the EC22.04 sticker on the back, but they don't have the Gold British Standard sticker.
    They're good enough I suppose, but what price do you put on your head and face?
    I've tried one, a Crivit flip front. Looks nice, feels comfy enough, but by god it's drafty around the visor and lets water through.
    I've recently bought a new HJC flip front, the ISMAX 3. Good helmet, and only £120 from CMC Cannock.

Gloves.
    Again, what price do you put on your hands?
    Cold and wet is your biggest thing with gloves.
    Just because they are thick doesn't make them good.
    Ricah sub zero are very good gloves, but about £60.
    Or you could put handlebar mitts on the bike as well for about £25. Now those are good. I had some mitts on my zzr1100. Looked daft, but my hands were toasty warm with no hint of cold getting through them. And using the controls was completely normal.

Boots:
    Unless you can take a towel, spare pair of socks and shoes wherever you go....................ever walked around all day with wet feet?
    Not nice.

In conclusion, the only real thing I can say is buy the best you can afford now and upgrade as and when you can afford it.
    You will certainly know when you've bought the wrong stuff.
    Plus with the right stuff on, you'll feel more protected, warmer, comfortable, and confident that if you do come off, as we all do eventually, you more than likely get up again with just bruises instead of torn digits and gravel rash.

The other up side of decent gear is that it lasts longer.
    Helmets replaced every 5 years (regardless of use), gloves every 2 to 3 depending on use, same with boots.
    Jackets and trousers replaced when they start to leak. You'll know when the trousers start to leak, your cock and balls shrink to the size of a shrivelled acorn:confused:

A soggy crutch is all well and good in the company of a good woman, but not on a cold wet winter monday morning on a bike.

MARSH and Mark Emerson Trentham like this.
  3. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Thanks Stevep - for all

As I said it'll be only a few days a week if that and as and when so I'll take your hint "the only real thing I can say is buy the best you can afford now and upgrade as and when you can afford it" and just buy what I can afford then if I use the scooter more or have more spare cash I can upgrade. at least I'll have gear that's "certified" so it should offer reasonable protection

Thanks again

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

one thing you do need to realise, is all bike are made in china these days.
    i have a similar background to you, cyclist with poor health, but i own about 7 bikes.....
    the honda silverwing is a fantastic machine, leg out in front sort of thing so is very comfortable, also the piaggio x9? i think? is a similar things as is the suzuki burghman, big scooters with lots of storage (good for shopping) and big legroom....
    i change my lids every 2-3 years or so, currently using a shark evoline which is accepted as both open and full face helmet, so is a very secure choice, but pricey and also quite heavy. before that i had a nolan which was a great lid as it had a huge visor so felt like an open face lid, but had the protection of a full face

5. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

@accyuklad Hopefully test riding PCX125 soon and if it's OK I'll go for it - if not then I will try to test ride the NMax but will need to find other dealership as the local one has 100's of bad reviews and I experienced similar p**s poor service. Will wait and see
    I think the reason for safety boots is in case of accident - they're made to protect the ankles etc plus being sometimes/mainly waterproof and because I won't be daily commuting I don't see the point. Good idea about waterproof trousers but again CBT trainer pointed out the reason for "proper" trousers is for protection and I refer my honourable gentleman to the answer I gave a moment ago roflmao

@scubabiker Can't comment about where the bikes are made but I believe you get what you pay for including service quality etc. can't afford or ride the Silverwing ;) but thanks for the info about lids.

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    cSome helmets will cost you a mortgage :) - my personal favourites are THH . which are made in Taiwan,fairly good quality gloves are no brainer as faced with an off your hands & arms will take a bit of gip,jackets - i'd say watch the material....cheap synthetics can melt with the heat generated if you ever end up sliding down the road on your arse,good alternative to a set of bike boots.would be a set of construction boots,which you'll find in any industrial workwear shop
    As a relitively in-experienced rider.?. - your emphasise should ALWAYS be on your clothing/protection 1st,bike should always come 2nd,prob.done a cpla million miles in my lifetime/had a few knocks....trust me sage advice.;) ..

7. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Inexperienced maybe but stupid or speed freak sort that's a definite no. When taking my CBT 2hr ride the "examiner" took me into a store car park after 20 mins and said "If I could I'd pass you now but we've got to ride for 2 hrs" then after sort of applauded and thanked me for such an easy test.

I suppose I'm not the only one but I put my abilities/common sense down to both being taught to driver in HM forces and also a former (pre ill health) keen cyclist. so yes safety is a concern (former H&S@W "enforcer") but I'm balancing safety with how fast, where, how far and how often I'll be riding, It's not as if I'll be on dual carriageways or motorways hitting 75mph but yes you can't predict the actions of some road users.

I'm taking on board all that is offered but for the time being I'll stick to a £50 lid and the slight second jacket and some gloves sticking with waterproof trousers over jeans and my normal footwear. If my normal use increases and I decide to travel further I will of course upgrade my gear.

thanks again to all those who've took time to read, understand and reply.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  8. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Update
    Purchased (in a rush so that I could test ride a PCX125)
    MDS M200 flipup lid, some gloves & Held jacket
    Then shot up to Chesterfield "Via Honda" (good customer service) with the ability to test ride the PCX125
    I can't comment on other bikes or give comparisons as the only other scooter I've ridden recently was a Lexmoto 50cc but I'd just say if you haven't ridden the PCX you are probably missing out. Lovely ride (yes I had issues - lack of experience etc, difference between riding a 50cc against anything more powerful (especially on bends << note to the younguns - don't think that all bikes ride the same - becareful). I don't expect to need to test ride anything else I was well chuffed. On country roads upto 50mph limit (except the first few bends) was a breeze and a lovely ride then took it on a short 70mph dual carriageway (lets not forget I took my CBT on a restricted 50cc) and got the PCX125 up to 66mph and left cars well behind at the roundabout.

When I get it I assume the first few rides will be getting used to everything and bedding in so I will take it a little easier ;)

The only bad things - I had to get a black gloss helmet no stock in white my size (I know but I was rushed) and I assume white is better for extra visibility - what can I do (ideas please)
    What colour PCX125 roflmao - White? (maybe 5 extra days (they got to order in) or the Red (in stock) - for me I think White (extra visibility) but hey ho I already made the mistake with lid. Some will not bother, some will say it's safer to ride white.. who actually really knows the truth?

What to do? - any more ideas please

And anyone purchased a good but cheap anchor bracket can you post details ... thanks

9. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

lol at gold rims

I know it's a bit expensive compared to others available but it will hold the price if I want to sell later on (if you understand me)

I'm not fussy really about colour I keep being told it's more about safety "being seen" that's why I questioned the white ;) but like you hinted - some drivers it wouldn't matter if everything was lit up fluorescent pink with flashing leds...someone somewhere could still not see you

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Congrats on the purchase, photos please at the first opportunity:)

11. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Upgrades? upgrades? how can you upgrade such a special machine ;) joke
    I've spent up - cost me 2 arms and a leg but maybe down the road (excuse the pun) maybe get it gold plated or something IDK yet

12. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

There'll be no sexy chic (closest I could achieve would be my 70 year old neighbour) sitting on it and no pics of me unless I've got my lid on with sun visor down as I wouldn't want to frighten anyone but yes I'll try to take some pics ASAP

Stevep likes this.
  13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

While the bike is under warranty, take it to the stealers for servicing.
    That way they can't say you've voided it in any way.

And get it in before it's due mileage!

Some of the more unscrupulous ones will use it as an excuse not to honour any warranty claim if you go over the stated servicing mileage while still under warranty.

In other words...............DON'T GIVE THE F**KERS AN EXCUSE:p

14. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    I got my lid from my local bike store, went in with a set price in hand, came out with a Caberg stunt retailed at £140+ i got it for £120.
    my jacket is one from a few years ago when i owned my first ever scoot its a Spada jacket, i just replaced the elbow pads with some new ones i found that fitted as old ones had started to fall apart.

gloves i spent £30 on a set from a local bike store took me a while to find xxs gloves.
    boots i wear some old work boots steel caps good for riding in, comfy and my toes wont get chopped off. just give them a good wax n buff every week or so to keep them supple and waterproof'ish.
    i also grabbed some water proofing spray and gave my jacket a good soaking with it just to add an extra if it does pour down im somewhat dry factor.
    I keep a pair of waterproof trousers shoved into my backpack or under the seat for those " oh hell where did that come from english weather" moments

same boat as you middle aged recovering from heart attack / coming to terms living with heart disease, but i ride a little 50cc (woohooo i can just get a foot down size ) bike is a little sym jet basix/eurox 2006 model cost me £220 . insurance third party fire n theft £100, and the usual £17 road tax. the best purchase was the lid very happy with it and a big change from the £50 lazer lid i used to wear feels like its going to protect not fall apart.

only time i do not ride is mid winter when its just to cold for me to even feel the brake leavers let alone twist the throttle open

15. flash

flash New Member

Good read this Phil thanks for posting... Saves me doing one as I am after a Honda Pcx too and would have asked exactly the same questions!

I currently looking at Helmets but haven't a clue really! I reckon I'll be OK regards clothing though.

I am yet to take my CBT however but a I believe it's straightforward.

If anyone can recommend a Helmet sub £200 that would be great.

Cheers.

Phil@Notts likes this.
  16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Caberg ISMax or HJC
    Can get them both from CMC Motorcycles around £120-£140

flash likes this.
  17. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Hoping to keep it fully serviced - ill health prevents me from doing anything I like or could do (Qualified stage 1 Servicing & repair of Motor Vehicles)

18. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Thanks and noted

19. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Thanks for commenting - regarding your "symptoms" I don't want to give too much away but lets just say I know and understand. Ex military, ex postie, ex keen cyclist, ex keen gardener, ex DIYer and now... well you can probably guess

20. Phil@Notts

Phil@Notts Member

Glad I can help as others have helped me. Don't believe all the bulls*** you get at dealerships - I struggled to get a sensible response re test ride and it was only by contacting the "manufacturers" that I got action - even though it meant travelling up the motorway to get what I needed.
    Regarding your lid - like I tried to explain in previous comments - I'm not daily commuting (just yet) and it'll be maybe 2 x 2 miles journeys and 1 x 10 mile journey every week - could be more (hopefully as it's my plan to get out and about). So with my helmet and my gear I decided I didn't need to go superior (expensive) extra safety offered and got what was certified safe at a cheap price.

If I get more use then I will probably upgrade but I cannot make the decision because of my ill health

My lid is just a MDS M200 (flip up because of the hot summers and flexibility) for under £100

If you will be daily commuting your choice for better safety will be very different to mine - hope you understand

flash likes this.