Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Annie, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Slow control you use the rear brake and the throttle to ride slowly thats true as in the figure eights you done so dont worry about that Annie.

coming to a stop or emergency stop use the front brake and the back brake , you will get used to this and it will become natural so again dont worry, just remember slow riding use rear brake and throttle , but to stop or emergency stop use both ;)

good luck for saturday and we are all behind you Annie , if your nerves are playing up take some sweets to suck/chew and take your mind of things and never be afraid to ask questions and seek advice from your instructor.
    we are always here if you need some inspiration and some helpful egging on .

Go and smash that CBT girl and no question is ever stupid ;)

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Notice on this video he is using the back brake to steady the speed so a gentle grip on the l/hand brake and a steady throttle.
    You just "feather" the brake you are not really trying to come to a stop so just a gentle pull but allowing the engine to gently pull you along.
    Coming to a stop is different using the front brake and gentle on the rear and closing the throttle at the same time.
    If you use the front brake on tight slow turns it will affect the scooter steering.
    That is why you use the rear in this situation as it allows you to concentrate on balance speed etc.
    There are plenty of CBT videos on youtube but look for CBT scooter.
    You'll get it basically you are trying to remember all the controls and ride an unfamiliar machine especially if you haven't cycled for years.
    Maybe the new instructor will explain things a bit better but if you have access to a cycle find some open quiet space and practice riding slowly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. madmags

madmags Member

To keep your balance, I think it's important that you sit comfortably and look ahead, at the road, rather than at your hands. Calm your nerves as much as possible and you should be fine.

As for braking, it's best if you do it before coming into a corner/turning. There's a pretty good article here:
    http://scootsafely.com/braking/

4. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

When filtering or moving slow you break with the back brake so you can maintain full control of the steering, using the front brake in this situation would affect your ability to maneuver.
    You certainly can brake while turning its just not advised, best to get your speed right for the turn ahead of time but if you need to slow down mid turn you gently press the brakes never squeeze (you should practice this).

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Hey Annie how did it go today ?

6. Annie

Annie New Member

Thanks again for great advice in the new replies since last time I logged on here:)

The cbt was today and I am very pleased to say I left with the signed certificate and felt I was well deserved haha:) The new instructor was absolutely brilliant;patient,calm and with great advice and any criticism was followed by helpful tips!

It was so much fun today and I can't wait to get more practice in and work towards becoming a better rider:)

Stevep, torpedo01 and Tamiyacowboy like this.
  7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper

WOOOHOOOOOOO Girl we said you just needed to get those jitters under control and you ACED IT , a big huge hug from us all at the scooter shack on your passing the cbt Annie you deserve it and to think you even wanted to not try a re-take.

Now you have all the time you need to enjoy the roads and your first scooter , and welcome to the wonderful world of two wheels

torpedo01 likes this.
  8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

9. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Well done

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You GO GIRL:D:D

11. madmags

madmags Member

Well done, I knew you'd nail it!

So, when are you buying your first scooter? And what are you planning to get?

12. Annie

Annie New Member

I was supposed to pick up my scooter today, a Longjia with a good price since buying off a friend. I have been ill most of the week so not sure if I will be able to do it today,don't fancy stopping to find a toilet or somewhere to be sick haha!

I chose this scooter mostly based on price to be honest and I think a cheap bike is good to start me off and then look for my dreamscooter when I have a bit more experience and money. Saying that, I have seen a very nice Aprilia Mojito but it has been derestricted to 50mph and I am unsure if this would be legal for me to drive just on a Cbt?

13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    as long as the insurance and dvla have been told you can ride derestrcted 50cc's. but most younguns dont do this and ride them anyways. and if your over 17 you can ride upto a 125cc on your cbt .

14. madmags

madmags Member

Annie, I hope you get better soon - I'm looking forward to hearing all about your first rides :) And you're right about not spending too much on your first scooter. A cheap one to start you off is a good idea, and hopefully it'll last you a good few years.

And yes, as long as the Mojito is under 125cc, you can it on your CBT. I'd probably go for a 125cc version - it may seem odd, but they're safer than the 50cc ones, as they'll get you away from dangerous situations on the road more quickly.

15. Annie

Annie New Member

Picked up my scooter today and rode the 15ish miles home with a big grin on my face:) Did get a little lost at one point but pulled over and got my bearings then got home with no problems. Parked up but then jumped straight back on for another little spin along a quiet road and I am having so much fun with it!

Insurance and tax sorted and I am pleased to say I did not go for the ridiculous £765 I was first quoted!!! He is parked outside my window and I keep looking out to make sure he is ok haha. Looking forward to plenty more on the road practice to come:)

Stevep and Tamiyacowboy like this.
  16. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Glad you have found a little scoot you enjoy and are taking every chance to go out riding, you will soon be a competent rider , the more you ride the more you learn and the more you just dont want to go home and park up.

Ride safe Annie and enjoy every moment you ahve with your new two wheel hobby, i also noticed you called it a HIM so he already has a Name ?

17. Annie

Annie New Member

No he doesn't have a name yet haha,need to see more of his personality first;) Now I wonder, do any of you know the legality of parking my scooter on pavement outside my flat?

I have tried looking into this but not really found much help..In front of my flat is a tiny patio area with the bins and two tiny steps so not sure scooter can go there without a ramp of some sort.There are some (time restricted) car parking spaces on road but nowhere to lock up my bike so I have left him on pavement locked to a signpost for now but would hate to get a fine! I live in Dorset if that changes anything,any viewpoints greatly appreciated!

18. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    its a bit of a gray area parking on sidewalk.

if its not obstructing pedstrians and is out of the way its kinda ok'ish but it depends on the council how owns that pathway.
    parking in puchbike bays is also sometimes allow as long as your not obstructing cyclists from using the bollards stantions.

i would contact your council and ask them about parking, mention there is no poarking for your flat and you own a small moped, and where you can park safely without running the risk of a parking ticket ;)

i have a small front garden so sank a couple of paving slabs into the lawn and a huge lump of concrete to hold my ground peg i chain my scooter to. but im always looking out the window to check its still there, i have also had panda cars drive past slow doing anpr checks on teh scoot to lol even though its off road on my lawn.

19. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    hi one question do you drive a car, or any form of vehicle on or off road if not it will be very strange to you noise speed balance don't worry we never took a cbt in our day and look at the situations we managed to get our selves in
    cbt is like a mot if all the bits are right it is a pass

20. madmags

madmags Member

Glad to see you've made a new two-wheeled friend, Annie! Any pics? :)

As for parking on the pavement, I agree with what Tamiyacowboy said: to avoid getting fined, contact your council and ask them where you can park your scooter. Mine lives in a secure communal garage, as I live in a block of flats, but parking might be tricky. I've seen a few bikes on the pavement close to where I work, but I'm not sure how legal it is.