newbie nel here again ; problems maybe???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by nellyt5, Dec 9, 2013.

1. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

cheers tv
    il bear that info in mind for when it breaks down next week or sooner lol
    the plug cap is the one where the nipple is needed

what does the malossi clutch do? or why is it better?

also not being a drinker at all
    how much is a round of drinks nowadays?

lol when I was on the booze regular it was 96p for a pint of lager!!!!!

thanks for the advice buddy ,im sure I will need it and more besides

turbovetto likes this.
  2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Been a while since I bought a pint too..first price i remember was 18p a pint of bitter and last one was 2.25 a pint,

3. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

thanks guys for all the help thus far
    im sure I will be back shortly

im off to bed without a ped problem on y mind!!!!

4. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    95 p a pint ? I can only remember when it was 1.30 !
    Malossi clutches - Dunno if they make 'em for chinese peds. But it's just a better, more progressive and more adjustable clutch that won't break on a normal ped. Even on an abnormal ped.
    In fact I have nothing but respect for Malossi gear. And Doppler. Which I cannot say for Polini. In fact I would like to visit the Polini factory and use the two broken ignitions & spring variator as rectal torture devices on the management......

5. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

well more waffle for ya
    last night our 17yr old came back on his ped ,saying its crap its crap its crap
    so I said calmly "whats the matter with it?
    "it keeps cutting out when I stop and its dead slow, its crap"
    it took me a whole second to find the problem [ or pilot error ]
    "what you doing riding with the choke on" I said
    he said "you told me to"
    so after explaining AGAIN for the umpteenth time what the choke is for
    he spat his dummy out and got his mountain bike out of the shed lol
    and went out on it, "im going to work on me push bike tomoz, that ped is shit" lol again
    anyway I got up at 6am to go out with my metal detector ,and his ped was gone
    the minute he got back from work I thought to myself 1,2,3 GO,its dead slow he said its crap
    "ok il have a quick look in a min" I said
    BUT WHAT HE DOESNT KNOW IS THAT SINCE THE 2 STROKE EMPTIED ALL OVER THE ROAD
    I ADJUSTED THE THROTTLE CABLE SO HE CANT GET FULL THROTTLE
    CUZ THE GUY HE BOUGHT IT OFF SAID IT HAD HAD A NEW PISTON AND RINGS 200MILES OR SO AGO
    SO I THOUGHT IF I DONT DO SUMMUT ABOUT IT HE,LL BLOW IT UP
    ANYWAY THIS AFTERNOON ,I TRIED IT AND IT WAS INDEED CRAP LOL
    SO NOW ITS SET UP AS IT SHOULD BE AND IVE BACKED THE 2T PUMP OFF VERY VERY SLIGHTLY
    I took it up the road and its a lot better , it pulls my 15stone arse up the road so it should be ok with him on it
    ,hes at football now ,so Im sure he,ll be out on it when he gets back
    hope he don't say its crap cuz I doubt it will ever be any quicker lol
    il keep you posted guys

turbovetto likes this.
  6. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi Nell.your lads gotta lot to learn..sounds like he's got a good teacher though..by the time he's learned about his fifty...he's gonna be looking at 125s and then the fun will start all over again.good to hear its still OK...glad I ain't got kids of my own....don't think ide have the patience...

7. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

yeah jim hes got no idea , its a 100cc tho ,but it don't make any difference

on a slightly different subject, my little tw 125 ,the one in my pic <<<<<<<<< can I pick your brains again?
    as you know ive not had it long,
    on the first ride it was spluttering like a good un so I had to cut short my ride out with the lads
    so I started investigating, as you do
    I took the carb off and cleaned it ,checked all the jets,blew them out with compressed air,and set the float height as it was way too low,replaced the carb and ran it, little better but still not right by a long shot

then I thought id better check the mixture,and the screw was set at just over 1 turn out,the book says 2.5-2.75
    so I set it at 2.5 ,it seemed to start up with less choke than before and seemed a bit more responsive
    so I took it for a ride and was worse than before,so back in the workshop removed the carb again and re-cleaned it and checked the main jet,now it should have a 134 jet in standard but it was only a 132,
    right this is how I see it;
    its got a gpr stainless complete exhaust system, so it should have been up jetted to suit
    better breathing=more air=more fuel right??
    I then fetched a 135 jet [ that's all they had ] from granbys and fitted it ,
    so its now 3 sizes bigger than what was in it but only 1 size bigger than standard
    should be better right,NO worse than ever,however if I turned in the mixture screw to 1 turn out it ran a bit better so I took the carb off AGAIN and put back in the smaller 132 jet
    :confused:
    now I know I shouldn't do this but as a quick temporary fix I ran it round the block with the complete front panel off and the airbox with the filter removed ,and it runs mint , very slight miss on gear change but its way way better,
    so whats going on? where do I look now?
    is something blocked? crankcase breather,
    don't know where to look first
    im gonna wind the mixture screw out to the 2.5 turns like in the book and take it for a ride later with the airbox still off ,and take it from there
    bloody bikes :mad:

8. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi Nell
    sounds like it's just a bit rich. Try a 130 and see what that does. What's the temperature in the UK today ?

9. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

hi tv
    I reckon its about 5 or 6 ,bloody cold wind too
    so you think that going down to a 130 will solve it even though its 4 sizes LESS than standard and 2 sizes less than whats in :confused:
    where are you then?,obviously not in the uk

10. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    It might - it's difficult to say - but if a 135 makes it worse..........
    Try it and then find a hill and try accelerating up it. If it bogs, try the 132. Where's your needle at ?
    I'm in the Basque country - just above the border with Spain. It's a bit warmer here ! But not much......

11. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

a ha, I altered the needle as well the other day,
    the clip was on the middle notch so its now on the top ,lowering the needle=less fuel right?
    I get this back to front sometimes lol
    I don't know if it makes any difference but the carb on it is the later version ,the one with the diaphragm on the top and a linkage on the side for the push/pull cable

12. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    quite right - lowering the needle by raising the clip drops the needle farther in the hole - so it makes it poorer. You probably know this but:
    Slow jet & air screw affects the start
    Needle affects the middle
    main jet affects full pelt - and everything else if it's the wrong jet !

13. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

yeah thanks buddy
    I really want to have a look at it and take it for a ride but its too cold to be in the workshop on my knees
    and its raining now too

il let you know what I do next and what effect it has
    cheers nel

14. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hello Nelly..all the above sounds like you could do with a smaller jet to balance the mixture..is the choke fully closing .sounds like your getting too much petrol or not enough air at w.o.t .or you could fit an open filter like a k.n and see if that helps..mines a bit of a bugger in the rain though with an open one ..water from the back wheel throws up into the filter and mullers the running..so something to bear in mind if you do that.I'm gonna have to put a yogurt pot or something over it as a baffle.if you can do a k.n filter style change and don't have that issue...might be the way to sort it...only other thing I can suggest is whip it into a shop with a dyno and find out what it could need from a run up.or keep changing the jets downwards till it runs OK.

15. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

right then
    ive done a bit of a bodge
    rather than run the bike without a filter
    ive drilled the airbox tut tut,still with the same jet and it didn't run quite as good as yesterday
    so I wound out the mixture screw half a turn,= worse ,so wound it back in to where it was plus another half a turn
    =bit better but still not as good as without the filter
    now the mixture screw is less than 1 turn out:confused:
    so I would agree with you jim ,too much fuel ,not enough air, so a smaller jet next ,after ive double-checked that the choke is operating correctly
    im ok with 2 strokes and jetting ,like I said ive had numerous rd,s tdr,s,rgv,s etc etc and with a better flow/breathing exhaust and filter, they all need a BIGGER jet,not a smaller one LOL,i thought that the same applied for the 4t,s, maybe not
    owt else to check guys??

il get there in the end probably

16. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

merry Christmas guys
    thought I would get it in now cuz we,ll all be busy tomorrow night
    ;)

17. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Merry Christmas to you too.may Santa bring you a day without bike probs..

18. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Merry Christmas, HIC....... I started already :D

19. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Merry Christmas guys. Have a good one !

20. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

had a bt of a fright Christmas eve lunchtime
    I got the dreaded phonecall "ive brokedown again" around 1pm
    luckily he was only about 2 miles away and my van was still minus the seats so shot down to him and he said it made a grinding sound and then stopped,so very very briefly I pushed the starter and it sounded horrible
    so we chucked it in the van ,got it home and straight in the workshop with it.i was expecting a snapped belt or something,so after taking the tranny cover off AGAIN at first glance everything looked ok,then I noticed the NEW bendix gear sitting at the almost vertical position:eek:
    now I didn't want to admit it but I didn't use any threadlock before and the variator locking nut had come loose
    so I put it all back together WITH THREADLOCK this time, and all has been good since phew
    you live and learn don't you ?