Newbie Lexmoto Milano 50cc tuning

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Nuttyboy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Nuttyboy

Nuttyboy New Member

I'm new to this forum and am hopeful someone on here can give me some direction as to getting a bit better performance out of my 50cc Milano.

I've recently changed the variator to a polini performance one, the variator came with 6.9g rollers and was advised not to change for lighter ones as the kit had been designed as a bolt on kit.

However I haven't seen any noticeable difference, top end is a little higher but acceleration between 20 and 30 is still slow, ability to hold speed on hills is still poor.

Has anyone got some advice of what to do next.

Cheers

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    some lighter rollers say around 6g should help some what , a derestiction on the cdi unit will also allow the engine to have a higher rpm to thats going to give you a little more power also, not much due to being a fourstroke but it will let the engine have a higher rpm limit .

higher top end is due to the variators new ramps and it being a little lighter than stock, but the 6.9g rollers ( if you read the selling adverts) are somewhat holding back a little, the selling adverts do say you may want to use lighter rollers , we usually go with 6g or slightly lighter .

you may not think that loosing .9g is going to be a lot but

6x 6.9g rollers = a total 41.4 grams

6x 6g rollers = 36 grams

so your loosing 5.4 grams total in weight thats a good bit to loose and means the variator will allow the motor to have a higher rpm when the clutch opens out, it also means there is less mass so the motor will pick up a bit quicker to ;)

And let me welcome you to the scooter shack Nuttyboy, hope this helps and your little Milano gains a little extra oomph

3. Nuttyboy

Nuttyboy New Member

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

I have a derestricted CUD fitted and an upgraded coil.

I suspected that I needed lighter rollers, just wasn't sure how light to go, I'll get some 6g rollers and see how that goes.

I've also got an upgraded clutch that I haven't fitted yet as I was struggling to get the nut to shift, not having access to an impact wrench is proving problematic, any tips would be fearfully received.....lol

Also if I changed air filter for a performance one, I assume I would need to re-jet carb. Any advice on this subject would be good as well, read so many threads all giving different opinions.

Thanks again.

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    leave the stock airbox on will save you a lot of head banging and buying bigger jets.
    6g rollers should be fine its a good bit of wieght your dropping .

clutch nut, if no impact gun you can knock up a clutch locking tool , if not a belt wrench works to so you can grip the outer clutch bell and get a perch on the clutch nut with a good decent socket wrench ( you will need a torque wrench to re-torque that nut back on correctly )

5. Nuttyboy

Nuttyboy New Member

Thanks for the advice, new rollers being ordered tonight. Will reply in this post when fitted with the results.