new to scoots, not bikes.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Bankofdad, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Bankofdad

Bankofdad New Member

Hey, just fixed up an sr for my daughter. Great little tool, surprisingly entertaining to ride. Especially in town (certainly compared to my bikes).

I rebuilt the engine, (the easy bit). Getting it to run sweet is now my aim and the black art of springs and variators. It starts easy and pulls a solid 50mph but there is far more in it, the transmission is completely stock. Fuel consumption is pants too, like 50mpg.

So looking to getting it to really fly. I think 60mph and better fuel consumption are both easily possible.

Anyway, if anybody still uses this forum (they are all slowing down), hi.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hi welcome.
    Get your self a mallossi over range kit or whatever its called.
    It's a kit with variator, rollers and clutch springs and belt.

3. Bankofdad

Bankofdad New Member

I have heard all sorts, its finding out fact that im struggling with.

The stock variator and torque spring are by all accounts good enough if everything is in good nick, the key is keeping the spring and the variator properly matched (?). The real benefit for me so im told is a gear up kit.

Its an ally 70cc with a pipe, running a 80 main (premix). We live in the sticks so mostly fast A road travel with a little bit of town when she gets to college.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

You need a gear up if it's revving it's tits off.
    To put into big bike terms, a gear up kit is like dropping a few teeth on your rear sprocket..

5. Bankofdad

Bankofdad New Member

I can do big bike terms, gears I can do, have been riding bikes since I was 15. Have a 1200vmax tdr250 and a couple of others its the belts and variator business that's tricky.
    Our sr has bog stock transmission and accelerates fine, little bit of body weight and up she comes on the back wheel.

Just think with a good 70 kit and a pipe I should get more for my 50mpg. I'm sure there is an easy 60mph in there.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah swap out the stock trans.
    It's the best gain you can get before you put a 70 kit on, most people do it that way round.
    I think it's something to do with the ramp angle and stuff. I've never studied them side by side to be fair.

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Always remember it's a 50/70cc , 60 mph is asking a lot from it as your wanting to ride it near flat out, it won't never be good on fuel.