New Scooter owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Little Wagon, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Little Wagon

Little Wagon New Member

Hello forum,
    Have purchased a 2010 Peugeot Speedfight 3 RS for my granddaughter with a view to sort it out for her 16th Birthday.
    Live in South Derbyshire area, so could do with finding scooter shops/dealers in that area.
    Hope to find lots of useful advice on the site to assist me lol know loads about motorbikes, but now't about scooters, so take it easy on me lol

Thanks

Little Wagon :)

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.
    Keep it restricted until she gets used to the roads, then open it up for her.
    She'll be the "fastest thiung in them thar hills":)

3. Little Wagon

Little Wagon New Member

Thanks Stevep,
    Said on the advert which I brought it off, that it does 40mph, is that the restricted speed or has someone had a play lol Have only rode it up the garden so far to the garage! Seems not to start pulling away till 5000 rpm, is that normal as bikes are more my game

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It'll go more than that with a few tweeks!
    But 40 will do for now, as long as it's running right.
    You won't really know until you get it on the proper roads, decent strong pull all the way through the rev range, up to it's maximum speed.
    If you do bigger bikes you'll know straight away if it isn't right.
    Especially with the handling.
    Look for any looseness in the head bearings, they tend to get overlooked a lot, and the starter clutch can be a tricky sticky bitch. It's behind the variator.
    Front and rear pads are also neglected, as are the discs, but all cheap enough to replace.

Basically, treat the going over it as you would a bigger bike, meticulous.
    After all, this is your grand-daughter you're giving it to.
    I've done it with my god-son and a Piaggio NRG, I wouldn't give him the Zip I tuned, it was waaay too fast for a newbie, but after 6 months I did open the nrg up for him.

5. Little Wagon

Little Wagon New Member

Stevep,
    Cheers for the information, intend to give it a good going over after Christmas, had 12 MOT with it but 4 advisorys
    1. Front suspension has slight stiffness in movement
    2. Front brake disc slightly worn
    3. Rear Brake disc slightly worn
    4. Exhaust is leaking but not excessively noisy

Intend changing discs and pads, assume front suspension is strip, clean and grease. Take exhaust off and have a look and replace with new gasket, then service the scooter oil, plug, filter, battery and what ever else?
    Oh quick one? Headlights, does it run with one light on, on low beam and both on high? As it changes from Right to Left when putting on main beam!

Thanks again, can rattle a bit lol

Little Wagon

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Headlight is normal. Dip one side, high the other.
    Can't remember if the front forks had oil or not, but a strip and clean won't hurt any.
    Exhausts are not excessively expensive unless you go for the high end sports ones, better to wait until it goes completely before replacing though.
    Careful with the exhaust studs, they can be corroded on, easy to snap them flush with the cylinder.

7. Little Wagon

Little Wagon New Member

Thanks for the advice so far :) Sort things out over the next few weeks and see I get on lol

Little Wagon

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Speedy 1 and speedy 2 pannels were the same on both the younger models, But the models 3 and 4 changed and they stopped being swapable at that point onwards.

i think some placed may do aftermarket panels BUT they dont come cheap upwards £150 for full set

9. Little Wagon

Little Wagon New Member

Cheers Tamiyacowboy,
    So I take it that the Speedfight 3 Darkside Iceblade and Furious are the same just different colours?
    Thanks for the reply

Little Wagon

10. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    not to sure on those models Wagon

they started to tweek around with the pannel fittings and designed a new sub chassis so the mount points kinda changed some what