New project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by 4strokelover, Apr 1, 2018.

1. 4strokelover

4strokelover Active Member

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Starting a new long project.
    Have no idea what im doing yet but first of all i need to get it running again (electrical) issue.
    Its only a DirectBikes Lynx db125t-9 but picked it up for £50 so cant complain.

Things ill be doing...
    Get it running.
    Fix broken panels.
    Buy new handlebar cover (unless i dont need it Let me know haha)
    Probably modify panels before a respray.
    20180401_155105.jpg

CGC likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

First thing, try and keep all your questions to one thread please, multiple posts in different sections of the forum make it hard to follow what your doing.

Chasing your no spark issue is going to be a pig, they always are. Could be simple, could be you end up changing nearly everything.
    Start with a new plug and plug cap, cheap and easy. then check the wiring from the stator plate and pick-up to make sure there are no broken wires due to them coming loose and rubbing on the flywheel. You can check the readings from the stator plate with a multimeter to asses the condition of it. If thats all good, then you may need to change the cdi, but go through the motions first. No point throwing money at something that doesn't fix it. Check the back of the ignition switch as well for good connections.
    Does everything else work when you switch the ignition on? Brake lights/indicators/horn etc?
    Halfods do a generic Haynes manual for chinese scooters that will be useful for you.
    Any parts you need to buy can be had from CMPO.co.uk, they are the main importers.

3. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thanks the reply again and yes im sorry about the 2 similer posts. I forgot i posted this one. Just waiting on a new battery as the old one wouldnt hold a charge. The bike had no power at all, (no lights, ect) Dead. We had really heavy rain so im thinking theres water in the loom or its got into the imobiliser.

4. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Right i fixed all the panels (used soldering iron to melt/smooth the cracks and clip bits back on. Every one needed fixing.
    Next will be a all day cleaning the bike.
    Progress pics will be up asap.

5. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Stevep.
    I think the electrical issue was a melted earth wire right next to the head that caused the fuse to blow. Replacing the fuse tomorrow and getting a battery soon so fingers crossed..

6. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Well. On further inspection on the loom wires. I found that a green wire that splits into 2 has burnt out (from the split wires so not further down). one is a frame earth and the other leads to the cdi. What could of caused this ?

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Only one thing causes that, it's had a live wire crossed to it at some point. I'd start checking all the other wires carefully if I were you, you'll probably find more of the same, and you don't want to end up back in the same situation as you are now.
    Thinking about it, if you find any more burnt wiring, it might be prudent to pick up a new loom from CMPO.
    I've just had a browse but can't find a specific one, they are the main importers of all the chinese scooters and will definately have one. Could be anything from £25 to £110, but at least it will be brand new.

8. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Thank you stevep.
    I did find that the black battery earth wire looked like it got melted from the engine at some point (it was pretty close and dangling) The old owner said he was riding and it just cut out and lost all power. Do you think that could of hard shorted and burnt the other earth ?
    Thanks for all the replies tho. Appreciate it alott.

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so, in order to burn the wires you need to send a live feed down through the earthing wires. If the battery earth had become disconnected then that would have stopped the bike, how does the battery live look? You may need to trace it through and make sure it's not being sent to earth when the bike is moving.

10. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    The battery earth is connected to the frame but had melted on the engine when it was ridden and cut out completely. Both plus and negative wires look fine. Cant tell which is which tho as there both red so going to look more into that before i connect a new battery. I wish i could be more specific haha.

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

photos speak a thousand words y'know...............

12. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Haha. True that ma

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

yup, might want to pop down to halfords and get the chinese scooter manual that Haynes do, it will be useful for you

14. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Yeah man thank you. Ive already taken the burnt ones off so just need to rewire new ones on but will pick up a haynes manual. Is it the battery wires you wanted pics of or the loom to ?

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

everything as you go along, we can see what you're talking about then

16. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    That would help actually. I need to start thinking before i post and have pictures to make it easier to identify a problem.

17. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    Update. I took a pic of the 2 red battery wires and black frame earth. Ive circled the wire with the fuse. Isnt the fuse one the plus wire ?

Also the solenoid or whatever its called has 2 red wires aswell. There not connected i just put them on to take the pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Where's the other red going to?

19. 4strokelover

Rides:
    Longjia Raptor 200
    It goes into the loom and i dont want to cut the rest of it open to see where it goes. Theres the 2 red wires near the solenoid thing in the pic so i guess thats where it led to. Sorry im not good at explaining stuff. Would anything happen if i connected them backwards ? Like plus on negative ect.

20. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

on the battery obviously yes, but I don't think so on the solenoid. Thats switched via a relay to activate it; press the starter button, that sends power to the relay which closes the power circuit to the solenoid which sends power to the starter motor.