New honda x8r-s

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Ty1, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Hi all ,
    I have just bought a honda x8rs with alarm and immobiliser on a 03 for work 17000 miles . 1 small scratch (will t-cut ) no rips of tears in seat £250 bargain also got a helmet ,it stood for a year so done the usual carb clean , fuel & oil change , new filter sponge , spark plug and battery turned it over and it started ,after giving it a run to blow out any old s#*t to the mot today it's running well . Speedo doesn't work ,cables damaged , that will be getting changed tomorrow wen the part comes ...1 thing I noticed on the way to mot ITS SLOW with out the speedo working its hard to tell but were talking 30mph tops. So presuming it's restricted . I was wondering if changing the variator , weights and clutch springs. Would make a difference . Would I need to re jet the carb In order to run these after market parts .. Also was thinking Leo Vince tt exhaust . Also does anyone know of any other restrictions I don't want a speed machine I just want to keep up with traffic with the benefit of 50cc insurance and running costs . Also websites etc with cheapest but quality parts Many thanks in advance Ty

2. c0nn0r77

c0nn0r77 Member

Rides:
    Aerox 70
    Used to have an x8r and it was a good scoot still it blew up Lol, anyway you wont need to upjet if your only changing the variator and clutch springs. But your other restriction is in the exhaust, best thing to do is get a sports pipe and upjet it by 10% then it will keep up with traffic.

3. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    So if I was to get a Leo Vince tt exhaust pipe and up Jet it 10% (would I have to mess with the a/f screw or would it be just a jobby of changing the jet ). Do you know what Jet is in this bike and how do you work out 10%. Could you or anyone else suggest a variator and what weight rollers I will need :) I sort of don't have much or a clue about scooters .but am wanting to learn hence why I'm posting in here Thanks ty

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

I had an sfx which was very similar. The variator is tiny on them and to derestrict properly a new one was required with a longer drive belt. I got a polini one and it did the job. My sfx had a rather irritating rev limiter in the cdi which the scoot spent most of its time pinging against. The cdi without limiter costs around £80. Supposedly the standard one can have the limiter removed by cutting into the cdi and chopping a piece of metal. I tried this with 2 stock cdi's from different year bikes and it never changed anything.

The best 2 mods I did to mine were the variator and removing the head gasket and using some sealant instead. This gave a lot more bottom end on mine and made it very easy to wheelie :)

Cant remember who makes the carb for them off the top of my head, so unsure what jets it takes.

5. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Ah brilliant . How will I know what size belt I wil need ..first job on the list is a new variator then so polini is the way to go then. Why did you take out the gasket for silicone I don't understand that? .apparently this is info from the haynes scooter manual

main jet- 72
    pilot jet- 35
    needle type/position- A30 (2nd notch)
    pilot screw settings- 3 turns out
    float height- 14.3mm
    auto choke resistance- 3.2 to 5.6 ohm

Look right ?? Thanks ty

6. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

The polini variator was offered as a kit including the drive belt when I had mine. It is available here http://www.psntuning.co.uk/scooter_parts.php?prt_id=2716 but quite pricey.The part number for just the belt is PO248.016

pmtuning have a guide on all that is required here: http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/tuning-guides-read?id=39/

I cant remember the size of the jet where it screws into the carb so you will have to try and look that one up. The carb body should have its make cast into it somewhere which will help narrow down your search.

With the variator and belt my speed went up to 40mph or so aand slowly deteoriated to 35 over the next few thousand miles as the belt wore down. If you get the polini variator refit your standard rollers for it to work properly. (unless you change exhaust)

I discovered there was 2mm clearance between the piston and head, removing the gasket tightened this up significantly and gave a lot more punch to the engine.

Personally not keen on the honda scoots, the sfx had shit handling, shit performance, shit design aand the worst aand laziest approach to a wiring loom and electrical component attachment I have ever seen. Things were scattered all over the bike lol. Was good for wheelies though and I basically slowly destroyed it over a very snowy and icy winter from enthusiastic riding. (It is possible to 2 wheel drift a roundabout at 35mph on a moped in the snow lol)

7. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Nice one for all ur help mate . I wouldn't of had a clue and would of took ages reading up on it .The handling is good I previously had a piaggio typhoon and thought it was crap . Decent engine though , personal choice I recon ! .
    eBay item no. 370929698017 could you check this out and let me know if it's any good and will I need anything else to do the variator restriction wen you get 5 mins . Sounds good drifting in the snow . I done it heavy mud on a dirt bike years ago . Hand tingles of the adrenaline lol

8. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Or this item no. 360381959590. (It mite be crap??) I just want to improve my speed by 10mph to keep up with traffic and not be over took and near killed lol but I don't rele wanna spend unessasary cash as it's only a commuting bike :)

9. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Just checked, thats the right one. If you fit the original variator rollers there is no need to use the big spring included in the kit. Never realised the X8R had 13" wheels, that must be why it goes round corners :)

10. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Yes 13s mate it gos around corners well . So if I got for the polini variator and new belt with the standard rollers and spring will this give me a speed increase what tools will I need to fit it any special ones ? Thanks ty

11. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

A basic socket set will do to remove the CVT cover. The variator can be locked up to stop it moving with a carefully placed flathead screwdriver in the teeth of the large gear behind it. Then loosen the nut and replace with new bits :) It will be quite easy to see what I mean when you get the cover off.

This will give you the speed increase you are looking for.

12. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Ah thanks I will order the kit an let you know next weekend how I get on. Anything I need to look out for springing everywhere? I've never done auto before always geared dirt bikes . :)

13. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    whatever you do dont remove the head gasket. that is just stupidity.
    im a mechanic by trade and that is possibly one of the stupidest things you could ever do.
    its just asking for trouble even if you are replacing the gasket with sealent. its the same principle on ALL engines. some get lucky with sealent but you shouldnt do it.
    the gasket is there to help keep compression. that is one of its main jobs, by removing the gasket and replacing with sealent you are risking loosing that compression. no compression = bike no run anymore.

do so at your own risk but wouldnt do it.

14. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    No mate Ii never even thought about that . I was just interested on what the point in it was . I'm going to change the variator and maybe a a week or so a exhaust change and up jet , possibly a new cdi unit to help with it bouncing the limiter all the time :)

15. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    was putting it up mainly for future interest of people who might read this thread was all fella, but honestly theres no point in removing the gasket, it barely does anything, might make you wheelie like mad but the engine wont last long. seen it done with three of the lads who go to the college im currently working at. cdi would be first thing id change, dont know if it can be done on the x8r-s but i think the restriction in the exhaust can be cut out (can on most other scoots and first thing i do on my hondas) but probably easier to just change the exhaust lol

16. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Yeh I've ordered a polini variator . This will be delivered some point next week can the cdi itself be de restricted I.e. Pink wire or have they gone further than that now ? .. Does it need to be a race cdi ? Exhaust is defiantly last on the list to do .thanks

17. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    im not really too clued up on the x8r-s as i havent had a mess about with one yet only know what ive read so far (i have the intentions to get my grubby mits on one real soon) but a bit of googling might get you the answer to the pink wire although i think that might just be chinese bikes (thats how ive derestricted most of my chink bikes) if the cdi needs to be changed then it probably will need to be a race cdi but generally a cdi shouldnt cost much more than £40ish (i buy mine off ebay for £15 for most scoots) the cdi would need to be done same time as the variator i think as no matter what you change until you lift the cdi restriction itll still be stuck at 30mph because the cdi is telling the bike nope. no more speed.

18. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Oh ok then will any cdi fit or could you suggest one if you have a bit of time that would be great :) thanks ty

19. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    im off to work now so ill ask one of the lads whos got one for ya and drop you a message later on if somebody else doesnt suggest one already. doubt any cdi will fit as most scoots have different plugs/pins etc

20. Ty1

Ty1 New Member

Rides:
    Honda x8r
    Ah right ok if you can let me know that would be great :)