New belt = slower?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Rory5, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Rory5

Rory5 Member

Is this correct ? I changed the belt on my 4t Honda nsc50 and new one is about 10mm wider , back to what it should be I believe.
    The gearing feels a bit longer.

Does the wider belt travel more quickly up the variator?

The bikes lost a bit of performance in general which is why I tried a new belt. Tried plug, different contra springs, replaced clutch with original , different weights. Can’t figure out why it’s like 20% less nippy and worse on hills.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm valve clearances and a service maybe?

Rory5 likes this.
  3. Rory5

Rory5 Member

It’s only done 2400 miles , I did valve clearances at 1000 miles.
    I will check them again though worth a try.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

2400 miles and you've replaced the belt??
    That doesn't seem right.

5. Rory5

Rory5 Member

I was trying to find loss of performance and thought it might be belt slip so replaced it. It’s also 5 years old so thought it wouldn’t hurt for a few quid.

6. Rory5

Rory5 Member

Right I’ve just found out wider belts can mean you need to shim the variator out. Didn’t know about this.
    I’ll need to open it up and see how tight the belt is and how high it rides on the back pulley. I have a feeling it will be too tight and not get into as low a gear as it can.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Quite right, but a 10mm difference in width is HUGE.........ask any woman:D.......and as for belts.......
    Shimming the variator wouldn't help in this case due to the huge difference in sizes. The clutch pulley will only open so far at full acceleration, and your oversize belt will not be reaching the very bottom of the clutch pulley, thereby not achieving top speed.

8. Rory5

Rory5 Member

Actually thinking about it it wasn’t a 10mm difference , maybe a 1 or 2 mm difference. The new belt is a polini and 19mm wide which is the standard for my bike.

Checked valve clearances and all bang on.

Just had a look at it and the belt doesn’t rest at the top of the rear pulley, it’s down a few mm and it’s tight on the variator. Ordered some shims.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. Pawel

Pawel New Member

Rides:
    Peugeot v-clic
    Had similar issue, replaced belt with good quality (although same size) one and rollers for lighter ones= now ped does 30mph uphill instead of 15-20mph.