Need help with Yamaha vity 125cc 2011

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Barto-095, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Barto-095

Barto-095 McVity

Rides:
    Yamaha Vity 125cc
    Hi there!

So i need some help with a few problems so I will try to keep this short and simple, I will include plenty of pictures soon.

To Long, Didn't Read;
    Rear Brake cable change, old cable is stuck in place.
    Belt change, how to and help
    Oil change, double oil change?
    Gaskets, how many, how to?
    Paint, rusty exhaust and general respray

Full post;

So my first problem starts with me changing my brake cable yesterday, started with the lever and noticed I broke the little plastic to engage brake light, so I need a replacement for that, I got the cable to follow through and noticed the old cable has completely stuck in the casing so I can't remove it, unsure if I need to do something to loosen it so advice on that would be appreciated.

I've got a new belt for the scooter, the problem is last time I came to change it my mate was certain I got the wrong one cause it doesn't fit yet I've been told about my old will have been stretched, is it hard to change the belt?
    Also my bike squeaks and judders at low revs, I've got a new gasket for the casing, I've seen many people say the inside could just need cleaning if so what should I use? Is it complicated? And could I fuck up the bike in the end.

I've got rust on my exhaust, my mate reckons get the spray on stuff but I've seen people use paint in a tin, is it worthwhile, and advice will be appreciated.
    I'm coming to respray my entire plastics, some of my plastics have cracked or are just missing parts, what am I best doing for this instead of buying new plastics?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    cracked plastics can be repairs with a method called Plastic welding. we use a soldering iron and a lotta zip ties to melt the parts back together adding a couple of tie staples ( small bits of copper wire embedded into the plastic to help sew it all together and add some structure/strength). then its just some good old elbow grease sanding and some body filler ready for painting back over. best to practice plastic welding first, so an old bucket thats got a split in it and some cable ties ( black or white and thick ties not the skinny ones) if your not careful you can melt the whole crack and end up causing more problems so practice practice practice.

rusty exhaust , maybe a good rub down to bare metal and a good coating of high temp paint ( rubdown depends on how far/deep the rust has gone, surface rust aint to bad but deeper rust can cause holes and need welding or patching up )

BELT : remove the left hand side cover, you will see to large'ish disks, the front is the variator and the rear is the clutch.
    you need to crack off the nut on the front variator and remove the face plate, then slip the belt off. if you cannot get the belt of the rear clutch you will have to crack off the nut holding it ( crack off meaning undo the nuts) and slip the clutch bell and the clutch off the spline.
    TO REPLACE : put the belt into the rear or the clutch assembly ( you may need to squeeze open the rear pully to let the belt slip in a bit. ),
    slide the new belt and the clutch back onto the rear spline and slide on the clutch bell and tighten up the nut to hold it all in place (torque it).
    next your going to slip the front of the belt over the variator spline and slip that front plate back on and again torque up the nut to specificaton in manual. install the side case and your all done. new belt fitted.

brake cable we replace the whole lot so you may find the cable and its covering is held onto the frame with small cable clips , you will need to remove the pannels to find the routing path and make sure the cable is freed from its holding points then it should come away freely and you can install a whole new cable.

squeaking could be a slipping belt or stretched belt , you may find this noise goes away when the new belt is installed ;)

Barto-095 likes this.