Need help with setting my bike up!

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Wunny, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    Ok, so here's my setup:
    Piaggio Zip 50cc 2 Stroke Premix
    17.5mm carb
    65 Jet
    Standard Airbox (Malossi Airfilter inside)
    Stage 6 Replica Exhaust

Now here's the problem, when I kick my bike it ticks over for about 30 seconds then cuts out, and if I try and rev it it cuts out.
    I'm premixing at 33:1 atm, i know it's too much oil, what ratio do i premix at and would the premix ratio make my bike not start?

Cheers,
    Nathan

2. Duggiedan

Duggiedan Piaggio zip 50cc

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    The premix isnt really a problem inless there was too much oil going in but that doesnt sound far off perfect. have you change idle screw settings? try cleaning carb out?

3. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    I've cleaned my carb and messed around with the idle screw, still doesn't work. :/

4. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    do you have auto choke? or manual? have you had the bike running since u changed filter n exhaust?

5. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    It's autochoke and basically it had a 70cc kit on it but then that fucked up (5th 70 kit :( ) so i thought fuck it, i'll change it back to a 50cc and put the airbox back on, did so now it ticks over for about 30 seconds and cuts out, then when it ticks over and when i rev it it just cuts out.

The 50cc kit has no scores/scratches and is pretty much like brand new. It has compression, spark etc. I don't see why it's not running.
    Thanks,
    Wunny

Dae2830 likes this.
  6. roxy boy

roxy boy Well-Known Member

Rides:
    roxi
    your jet will be set up for a 70

7. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    yep theres your answer. You was running a 70cc big bore kit on and now you have changed to 50cc when you put the airbox back on did u install a little brass plate between carb and air filter? you need 53 jet if the brass plate is in and if its out 56 jet. at the moment you are running really rich so flooding engine. If you take the air filter off and start the bike it should stay running try that?

8. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    No, as I said, I changed the jet to a 65 from a 118, so i have changed the jets. I put a 65 jet in as everything standard apart from the exhaust.

9. ramo

ramo GoldMember

65 is still to big for a stock 50. thats like a 20% upjet!

if you leave it idling does it stay running?

10. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    It stays running for about 30 seconds yea, and stock is 56, and i took it to a garage when i had my TT on and they upjetted it to 65, so i put a 65 back in. I've got loads of jets so feel free to suggest some :)
    Cheers,
    Nathan

11. roxy boy

Rides:
    roxi
    dont forget it only a 17.5mm

12. ramo

ramo GoldMember

i think only piaggios with catalysers come with 56 the others come with 53. its still around a 20% upjet tho

does it smoke alot? does it start easily? what colour is the plug? what happens when you give it a tiny bit of throttle?

you never really need to upjet over about 10% for a pipe.

13. roxy boy

Rides:
    roxi
    yea supose ..fort he wa runnin an open filter

14. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    It doesn't smoke at all, it starts first kick, the plug is brown and it cuts out with a tiny bit of throttle.

15. FiddyRox

FiddyRox Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Aerox, CRF450, YZ125
    Try adjusting your needle; Its the needle that controls the throttle up to about 3/4, not the main jet.

Also, check your float. It might only be letting in enough fuel for idle.

16. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    now you have told us that, what setting is your mixture screw currently at? what notch is ur needle on? and 53 is normally standard jet and wen you put an exhaust on you dont nessaserily need to upjet it depends on exhaust systems and what else you change

17. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    My mixture screw is out 2 full turns and a half. Need to check my needle setting aswel.

18. Duggiedan

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip
    that may need adjusting abit aswell cause my 50cc standard was running with it 1 and half turns out, ye check your needle aswell it seems to be running rich so move it up a notch

19. Wunny

Wunny Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 50 2T
    The needles on 2.

20. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    65 is perfect for a pipe. You're running far to much oil. Change too 50:1 and put a new plug in and try again. Check for air leaks too. Please title your pages correctly too.