Need help on gy6 oil

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Louie007, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Louie007

Louie007 Member

Hi all need help. I have a gy6 139qmb engine. Just installed a 80cc bore kit what oil is best to brake the engine in with as info online is so conflicting.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Use Castrol or something similar. And heat cycle it (bound to be a YouTube video) it's important that you let it warm up properly when it's new.
    I think they use 10w40 oil? Maybe?

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

as above

4. Louie007

Louie007 Member

So bog standerd 10w40. As people say sae 30 to seat the rings. Some say minarel oil...... I'm allready using 10w40 semi synthetic and apparently is too slippy has anyone fitted a bore kit that has allready done this successfully. Can tell me witch oil to use please

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Semi will work fine.
    Just remember to heat cycle it.
    And use some oil in the bore when you are assembling it all.
    I always use synth myself, but that's all I ever buy, because I use it in a lot of different bikes.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I've done thousands of motor rebuilds over the years....

7. Louie007

Louie007 Member

OK
    OK thanks. Sounds like you no what you are doing. Can u give me more details on heat treat please. As you no what your talking about please.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's just to start it up and let it idle for a few mins, then turn it off and let it cool down again, then do the same, but give it a bit of throttle or load (drive down the street and back)... Plenty of videos online I'm sure

MARSH likes this.