need help have lost my keys for my piaggio zip

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by reece crabb, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. reece crabb

reece crabb New Member

i have lost my keys for my piaggio zip and i have left my steering lock on and have tried replacing the ignition barrel but cant get to the clip as the steering lock is left on and i don't know what to do and don't want to snap my steering lock
    SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    You need to weigh up.why you need the 'ped.? -(school/college/work) - what's more important .?.;you're steering lock.?
    Have a Zip 50 /self,need it for certain things,would snap that lock in a heartbeat.

Mark.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

As mark says, weigh up if your steering lock is really important or not. Easy enough to start without the key

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take the front panel off completely. Or drop it down as far as possible
    Remove the leg sheild.
    remove the big black block off the back of the ignition switch.
    On the front of the ignition barrel you have the black plastic trim surround that says I/II/III (maybe), pull that off.
    You will probably have to drill the barrel from the front to actually wreck the tumblers inside it, or whack a small screwdriver or the like into it to allow you to turn the barrel to a point where you can acess the clip.
    There is a narrow slot towards the front of the barrel that has a really thin spring clip pushed right down into it, a bit like the bigger one on the back, but tiny and hidden right in the slot.
    This little spring clip keeps the barrel from coming out.
    Pull that out with an small electrical screwdriver or something and the rest of the barrel will come out.
    Remember to put that little spring clip back in or the new barrel will come out with the new keys.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  5. jhribar1

jhribar1 New Member

hello, is it the same on 2002 piaggio typhoon, i have no key also.