My zip 172 conversion (big wheel)

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by gilly_runner, Apr 8, 2013.

1. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    So here's how it started i brought i zip 50cc for the bargain price of £130 with 2 months tax and mot it had a snapped belt but the boy i brought it of thought the engine was dead haha i fitted a new belt but after a few days i got bored of just a tt so i fitted my tuned runner engine and fitted a ac stage 6 racing mk2 (full setup in sig) well after a week i wanted more power so decided to put my 172 engine in :D IMG00005-20130319-2249.jpg IMG00003-20130319-2249.jpg here's some pics of the engine i fitted

2. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    After grinding the mounts down the engine was in IMG-20130404-00064.jpg IMG-20130404-00065.jpg

3. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    Then I fitted vx forks and mounted a kawasaki ar 125 radiator for the time being IMG-20130407-00068.jpg IMG-20130407-00069.jpg

Eggerz likes this.
  4. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    now here is how it looks at the moment stil need to do a few things like fit 2 bulbs from my quad runner headlight into the indicators of the zip and spray the mudguard as it sticks out like a sore thumb ! also make the runner wiring longer as its too short :( but been out on a little ride and she goes alright ps. making them holes in the front took fooking hours :D IMG-20130408-00073.jpg IMG-20130408-00074.jpg

Eggerz and toby ball like this.
  5. TyphRider

TyphRider Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio typhoon 70cc
    that looks so nice, have you got any 125 engines that will fit into a piaggio typhoon

6. Thatcharliebre

Thatcharliebre Member

So whats a list of things that are needed to put a 125 ina 50. Loom cdi etc

7. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    I got a 125 small drum (typhoon) engine that will fit ;)

8. RicksRUnner125

RicksRUnner125 New Member

I love it such a quality bike mate you've done it sick :) you got any runner 12 looms about mate?

9. asap

asap Member

Hey what engine mount did you use?

10. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    I used a modded zip 50cc 2 stroke mount mate

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Only problem using 50 mount is it's going to vibrate real bad! The only proper way to do the job is to fit a silent block/joint like typhoon/runner!

12. asap

asap Member

What is needed to be done wirh silent block mount to fit zip frame?

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You need the scissor joint and a silent block, some steel and make it up or an old frame and cut the mount off! If your competent to fit a scooter engine of a different size/model then making up a engine mount will be a doddle!

14. asap

asap Member

I dont totaly understand where to put the silent block do you have any pictures

15. gilly_runner

gilly_runner Member

Rides:
    Gilera runner
    Look on google ect for pics of a runner 125 2 stroke frame mate

16. Eggerz

Eggerz New Member

Nice bike pal how did you manage forks to fit ? And does the steering lock work as I want to do fork conversion and can u explain how u made them fit stuck with this pony set of zip forks and need to change as I have a 12 inch wheel on the back and need front same size looks silly cheers mate