My Piaggio Zip 50 4T Snail to "80cc thumper" :)

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Todi-Corsa, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
    the idel is very slow and the camera sound is crap, and it as no air filter on.
    but it runs and that the big thing after a rebuild of a 4t

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  2. Todi-Corsa

Todi-Corsa 4 stroke thumper

It's deffo you mate, it's running rough as its over fueling by miles plus the mic on the camera doesn't pick the sound up well. Ordering more jets tonight as I don't have the ones I need

Edgar likes this.
  3. Azzle-Dazzle

Azzle-Dazzle Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 4T
    Any updates from this ? is this project finished now?

What sort of speeds do you achieve with all these mods / tunings, and is it a massive gain over stock, or just better performance of parts and reliability.

4. Todi-Corsa

It's not finished as such, no project ever is haha :D

It runs well speed is a vast improvement over stock it will go off the clock now, not had chance to GPS it to get a true speed although due to work commitments I have had to get another car so this will be going on SORN shortly and into storage as another project needs my full attention in the small amount of free time I get.

I will update soon though as it will be having a few changes visually while its in storage :)

5. Azzle-Dazzle

Azzle-Dazzle Active Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 4T

Sell it dont store it ! Ill give you another project, another 4T Zip :D

do you think the 'off the clock' speeds are mainly from the Big Bore kit ? The big bore kit is around £200 and I dont really wanna pay that, for £200 I could sell my bike and buy something bigger.... But then that defeats the whole purpose of me having a really cheap commuter.

6. Todi-Corsa

Yes the bore kit helps a great deal as does the cam

£200 pound isn't cheap true but it's diffrent don't expect the earth from it though, alternitavly a possibly cheaper way you could get a 100cc engine the reason I say possibly cheaper as you never know if your buying a dud that will need money spending on it.

and I would never sell it haha :D

7. zanjan

zanjan New Member

what's the top speed?:D

8. Todi-Corsa

Not GPS tested it yet on a run, been in storage as I'm soon to be moving house so not had the chance to do anything with it till I get some free time :)

9. zanjan

zanjan New Member

oh okay, can u tell me the whole setup?

10. Todi-Corsa

Most of it is on here in this project thread.

11. astro77

astro77 Active Member

hey bud how's it going, ive not been on here in ages :)

12. Todi-Corsa

Not too bad mate not done anything new to the scooter though been busy :)

13. astro77

astro77 Active Member

good good , yep been busy myself but started to nosey around the forums again, get back into it when the weather is good lol :)

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  14. Todi-Corsa

Well it's been some time since I last updated this thread.

Been few changes to the scooter, it was in storage for quite a while as I had just moved into my new house and was doing lots of renovations. Now that there is less of my time needed on the house and I have massively had a clear out of projects I can spend some time on my zip.

While it was in "dry" storage...... you can probably see I was being sarcastic about the dry part of that quote........ the bike got subjected to damp causing paint and other parts to look not great to put it mildly.

So what's the plan? Well give it a strip down and tidy it up again, to sort the transmission and make it work nicer with the engine..... and maybe improve the look of the zip

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Great thread,keeping my lil 4t bog standard,it's stored/SORN atm/de-restricted,had a little blast on it when i first got it.reckon it'll make an ace backup bike just for knocking about the city.
    Sammo happened with my speedo cable,exhaust was corroded abit behind the bracket mostly - technigas GP4 in the future maybe.Mk.

Todi-Corsa likes this.
  16. Todi-Corsa

Well been doing a few hours when I can on the Zip, curently the engine is out and all the pannels are stipped from the frame.
    [​IMG]

Taken more of the little gubbins off of the engine this will soon be stripped fully ready for more .....intresting changes - keep posted for these
    [​IMG]

I'm keeping a few suprises in store for what I have planned, but the front end is being changed to a SP sinlge sided jobbie which I have managed to source for £15!!! (yea it neads sandblasing and the shock is knackered but thats going in the bin so doesnt' matter once its stripped and cleaned up it will be usefull for what it will be used for) there will be a change in wheels and bodywork also not decided on a colour yet.

Tbh I'm kind of glad the "dry storage" wasn't that dry and made a bit of a mess of the work I put into it as its give me somthing to escape away from life for a few hours a week :)

17. Neil Lawrence

Neil Lawrence New Member

Hi,just out of interest what top speed were you getting from the stock engine? My daughters 50 4T zip won't go over 20mph even with variator washer removed,cut coil and 78 main jet?

18. Todi-Corsa

for a 50 it should be seening 30-35mph on a flat should be more than doable, make sure your CDI has been cut propper, even when its derestricited the cut can sometimes be in the wrong place so either won't derestrict it or has cut another part inside the moulded case,other than that it sounds to me like the cylinder head needs a rebuild, the valves might not be sealing properly, can be a good DIY job depending on how confident you are, if you buy a haynes manual it will show you the timing marks so that you can line everything up to remove the head and refit once sorted

19. Todi-Corsa

Well done a bit more on the Zip over the last 6 months, not much to show for it but mainly striping the engine and frame and cleaning and sorting the parts ready for the rebuild also trial fitting the SP front end after finally getting the old teloscopic forks off - handle bars had seized in place.
    [​IMG]

Next up is continuing the last bits of disassembly to the engine then rebuild...... hopefully at a quicker pace .....

20. Jordanc611

Jordanc611 New Member

5 years on and youre still going strong on the project hahaha well done to you keeping motivation pal

Todi-Corsa likes this.