My Piaggio Typhoon 183.

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by tErr0, Nov 20, 2006.

1. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Right well most of you know the score but for the ones that don't i'll give you a quick run through.

My bro got his Typh last May then spent up till xmas spanking it up as much as he could with the limited funds he had. He was on a ban so he could do everything without worrying about having to use it.

This is how it ended up looking.

[​IMG]

The specs at that time were...

Malossi 172 kit
    Malossi belt
    Malossi 12g rollers
    Malossi Clutch Springs
    180 Variator
    Open air filter

Then after all that he crashed it and fucked the forks and some other bits. So it looked like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the blue he decided to paint it black again but got pissed off with it and snapped both the side panels in half (thanks bro :evil:). So he just gave up and went to the land of boats.

So he gave his Typhoon to me. :D :D The plan is to make it into one of the cleanest stock sleeper typhs. The specs will be...

Malossi 172kit
    Malossi Torque driver
    25mm Carb
    Malossi MHR Reed block
    Malossi MHR Inlet Manifold
    Malossi E13 Air filter
    Malossi Secondary Gearup
    Malossi Clutch Springs
    Malossi White Contra Spring
    BGM 55 Stroke Crank
    Polini Belt
    Piaggio 180 Variator
    Scorp + PSN Stub

Crank fitting and porting work by MT.

At the moment I am trying to round up the parts that are needed to get it fixed up. The parts I am putting on it include a new seat, new inner panels, a new seat bucket, a new aftermarket front disk, clear or black lenses, a halogen front light, a new black back shock, a new stand and probably more I can't remember.

The panels are going off to get a mirror finish black paint job as soon as the new right hand side panel and front panel arrive. As well as that when i manage to find eather a set of Runner rims or a set of Nrg rims that will fit they are getting sent off to be Powder coat chromed as well as the trans casing.

Here is what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes the trans casing is the same one as in the first picture.

[​IMG]

Mmm Malossi parts.

[​IMG]

This is what my room is like at the moment. :wink: :p

[​IMG]

There will be more updates as soon as the other stuff i have ordered arrives. :wink:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update. Well some more stuff arrived :D but i am still waiting for the rear shock, stand, jets, rollers, gear-up AND i still need some FUCKING SIDE PANELS! I hate ebay. :evil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and a nice picture of the seat. :wink:

[​IMG]

More updates soon. :wink:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update. Wooohooo! New shock and stand. :D

[​IMG]

Update. This is the new version of the scorp. It has a new mounting bracket and the stub is nearly the same as the PSN stub but not as high quality. :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Today we took the engine out, took off the belly panel and back shock.

We cleaned up underside of the engine but at the moment we don't have a drill so we couldn't do it properly! I also gave the frame a good clean. :wink:

This is it just after the engine has been taken out.

[​IMG]

mmm shiney.

[​IMG]

Then after a lot of work the bottom of the engine looks like this. Yes it is sitting in my hall.

[​IMG]

Just about to be put away.

[​IMG]

Putting the bike to sleep. Awwwwwww aint it cute.

[​IMG]

There will be another update probably on monday or tues. :wink:

Update. Woohoo my jets, rollers, the right reedblock and secondary gear up have arrived. :D

I have also ordered a 55mm crank. 8)

[​IMG]

Oh and the Malossi tape adds 120bhp. :wink:

Update. Well most of the panels are packed up and they are all getting sent to be painted tomrrow!

[​IMG]

Update. Crank etc has come. :D Now all i need is a few piaggio parts so the engine can be built up.

[​IMG]

Update. Cranks out so time for more cleaning! Pretty much all done now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Well the pannels are coming along nicely and should start getting paint on them this week.

My bearings and seals have arrived so the engine can be sorted after my gear-up is fitted in a couple of days.

I found a local Powder coater so my rims are there and will be getting gloss blacked and should be done by next tuesday.

Oh and i also found a local tyre place that took both of my tyres off for a whole £2! :D

[​IMG]

Update. You didn't think i was going to put a dirty ass starter motor on my clean engine did you? 8)

[​IMG]

Update. More jets and some freeze spray has finally arrived. Oh and i tidied up the grinded weld on the new style scorp stub with a good old trusty hand file.

[​IMG]

Panels are nearly all primered up as well. :D

[​IMG]

Update. :D My rims are back and cost a whole £50 to do the pair.

My engine is also back now with a gear-up fitted and trust me when i say seized gears are not fun. :evil:

The should be having the crank fitted etc some time next week. :wink:

I have some tyres on order as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Well the engine + barrel has started having work done to it. I'll tell you all what had to be done to get the 55 stroke to work when it's finished.

My brand new 180 variator and front pully have arrived.

[​IMG]

The torque driver is fitted now all i have to do is the springs then slot it all back together.

[​IMG]

And here is a little teaser picture.

[​IMG]

Update. A few more bits FINALLY arrived from SIP. They only took 3 days to get into the country then UPS fucked about for over a week. :evil:

[​IMG]

A little update on whats going on with everything.

The engine will be back in a little over a week. The panels will be back in about two weeks.

On friday i should be getting the front wheel bearings changed and then my Bridgestone ML50's fitted.

I'm also waiting for a large order of standard piaggio bits and bobs.

When everything has come back i will have about 5 days to build it. :wink:

Update. Engines back! I also polished up my scorp.

I'll be building up the engine on wednesday and i will also finally be getting the tyres fitted and front wheel bearings changed.

On thursday i'll be building the bike up to the point where all that's left is to put the panels on. They will be put on before next monday as i should be getting them back on wednesday or thurs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Busy day today! I've allready picked up the mountain of piaggio parts and dropped off the front wheel at a shop to have the bearings changed. After the wheel is done the tyres will be fitted.

[​IMG]

There will be another update later on today. :wink:

Update. Well the front wheel bearings got changed for £10. 8) I also managed to get a few other bits like spark plugs, new battery, impact gun, L plates, oil, etc etc.

The only place that let me down was the tyre shop. They said they would order tyres in on monday for me to have them fitted on wednesday but did they order them? Noooooooo. So the wheels have been left with them and they will deliver them tomrrow lunch time with brand new tyres fitted. :wink:

[​IMG]

Oh and i polished my float bowl a bit. :p

Update. Well yesteday was one hell of a day. We started at 10:30ish and didn't finish till 11 at night! Only ran into a few problems but the main thing is IT RUNS!!!!!!!!! :D

It was me being the tea boy and my brother and a friend doing pretty much all of it.

I didn't really manage to get any good pics as we were busy as hell. Buuuut i'll get some today if it ever stops raining.

A little teaser picture.

[​IMG]

Updateish. Well i decided to show you the other pics i took but i personally don't like them.

I don't have any pics of it with the scorpion on but i'll take some soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Well i've been busy moving so i havn't had much time for the bike. As i'm 17 next thursday i'm hoping to get it finished by then but the weather doesn't seem to be on my side at the moment.

My new fan covers have arrived.

[​IMG]

There will be another update when i can actually do somthing. FUCKING RAIN! :evil:

Update. Woop no rain! We were going to do some of the sorting out then realised all the tools are hidden in boxes that we can't find! :evil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trans casing and the kick start leaver are only temp. A black trans casing and chrome kick start leaver will be going on. :wink:

Update. Well we got everything sorted like the brakes, throttle cable, fitting the scorp, etc but we ran out of time to set it up. All that's left now is the panels, a few lil bits and to set it up.

It sounds fucking lovely. :twisted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the crappy picture. I might take some more tomrrow. :wink:

Oh and i didn't have any screws for the lil black trans cover but it will be going on very soon as it looks crap without it.

Update. Fitted the lil trans cover today and started it up and let it idle to start the wearing in process.

I spoke to my painter today so the panels should be coming back very soon!

[​IMG]

Oh and Clicky Clicky for a short vid of it idling. Please note that it was full of oil so it sounds a little weird.

Update. Bit of a shit update but who cares! Got a few more bits from newparts. As soon as there is some good weather they will be fitted along with a couple of other bits.

As for my panels. To make a long story short the guy can't be arsed to go to the post office to send me back the rest of my panels so he is getting taken to court for the sum of around £1000.

I have been trying to replace the more rare bits that he has of mine such as the rear grab rail which i have now managed to get.

I'm on the look out for a full set of panels in good condition or failing that i'll have to buy new panels unpainted and try and get them painted yet again. :roll:

If anyone has any panels for sale send me a PM.

[​IMG]

Update. To make a long story short tweak (aka the best guy in the world) went and got my panels off the bastard who had them.

They then went strait off to a local sprayers and are now back! There are quite a few little bits to do before they can be fitted but me and my brother will be doing as much as we can today! :D

For you that want to know i'm now £300 lighter.

[​IMG]

Update. Well when changing the front brake hose just before we were going to fit the panels we found out that some how the caliper was fucked. :? I then ordered a nice new one off SC thinking it would arrive in a few days but nooo. It's two weeks later and it only just arrived. :evil:

As soon as there is some goodish weather the bike will be done!

[​IMG]

Update. Well as the weather was just about ok today a little bit of work was done. Fitted the front caliper and gave some bits a little lick of Autosol. ;)

No need to rush putting the panels on as i'm ill. :(

[​IMG]

Update. Today we finally started fitting the panels! We have stopped for the moment as we found out one of the side panel lugs was cracked. It's glued back together now and should be ready for fitting soon.

We also have a problem with the front light connector being different on the 06 front light that's going on it. After a trip to the shops and a bit of soldering this should be sorted. :D

Here are a few teaser pictures that look like about 20 other pictures i've taken. :?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and to get the smoked rear indicator lenses to fit properly they need a little bit of modding. If anyone wants to know how then PM me. ;)

Update. Today i rewired the front light connectors which was a lot easier than i thought it would be. We couldn't fit anymore panels or the front light as we have run out of screws. :oops: Should be getting some more tomrrow. ;)

This is for anyone who has forgotten what the front light is that i'm fitting. Please note it's not screwed in.

[​IMG]

Update. Well we got some more screws today so we pretty much finished fitting the panels. All that's left to be fitted is the rear grab rail.

Still a few more bits to be done but getting very close!

Please excuse the not so great pictures. It's not my fault the light is crap today. I'll take a lot of good pictures from all angles when it's completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random better picture...

[​IMG]

Update. I finally finished polishing my trans casing.

[​IMG]

Please excuse the crappy pic. My sister has stolen my tri-pod. :(

Another updateish.

Broke down on the way ASS. It cut out at 50 odd mph and lost some compression. Wouldn't start and was making crunching noises when kicking it.

Got it home and ripped it apart. Everything looked fine. Crank, kit, reeds, trans, spark, etc etc.

Started up but was still fucked. Making lots of noise from near the fly wheel. Today me and minor took apart the stator and shit and ruled that out as the problem.

The bearing closest to the fly wheel seems to have gone. So as soon as my new bearings arrive it will be back on the road. Middle of next week at the latest.

Mini update. Brand new, new style clock panel and a full set of switches have arrived and a little picture of my engine out ready to be split.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's because it is fucked. :msn1:

Today we rebulit the engine and started on the wiring for the new switches. Could have got it done but we thought there was no point rushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that's one fucked bearing. Look at the colours from getting very very hot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done. :cool: Still a couple of little things to sort out such as the foot pegs but as for the engine it's running better than it ever did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 172 kit was old and crap so I ordered a new one...

10,000 odd miles about 4 different owners.

It's been seized countless times. It's got scores in the cylinder wall and chipped ports. It's on it's second piston at least. The cylinder head looks like it has been drive-byed.

It's finally giving up. The Compression goes when it gets warm even though it has nearly brand new rings in it.

Yeah yeah i should have changed it ages ago but i just couldn't turn down a free 172 kit. :pimp:

UPS took their damn time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got bored and as my Scorp was off i gave it a clean and a re-polish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update. Yellow contra spring and Malossi variator turned up thanks to JakeSP. Also fitted a brand new oil belt and refurbed oil pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the Multivar and MHR variator have 4 holes in the back plate.

Right here are a few pics. Note that it looks a hell of alot different now due to a lot more grinding.

[​IMG]

New one getting there.

A standard 172cc air cooled kit. Please excuse the shoddy pic! It wasn't taken by me.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

Sort of polished exhaust port. Which i now have to bloody repolish after more grinding. :(

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just incase anyone wanted to know the new spec is...

Malossi 172kit - Ported
    Malossi Torque driver
    Malossi MHR Reed block - Modded (maybe changing soon)
    Malossi MHR Inlet Manifold - Modded
    Malossi E13 Air filter
    Malossi Secondary Gearup
    Malossi Clutch Springs
    Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
    Malossi Multivar Variator.
    25mm Carb
    Ported Casings.
    BGM 55 Stroke Crank
    Polini Belt
    Scorpion exhaust + Slightly modded new style scorp stub (aka PSN stub). - Soon to be changed.
    Runner 125 Stator and CDI.

[​IMG]

Engine out to get a bearing out in the gearbox! Everything fails when you start tuning.

[​IMG]

:pimp:

New seat and the grab rail is in the bin! Never liked it.

[​IMG]

Update soon. ;)

Update. Bit of a sneak preview.

Before.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

Update. Annnnnd it's done.

Before... And it was more fucked than it looked in these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures are abit shit but never mind. Bracket re-welded, dents taken out properly by a body shop not just fillered over like most pm's, sanded down to bare metal to remove any rust and shitty paint and stub matched to my 172 kit. :pimp:

End can sanded down and polished up, end can strap sanded down and polished up properly and exhaust bracket cleaned up.

[​IMG]

Yeah i know i'm late with the picture. Need to swap over the fan cover with a new one i've got lying about and do something to the bracket as gold just doesn't work.

Couple more parts going on soon (it needs them too) and I'm deffo gonna go for the powdercoated black bracket.

108 and 12.5's = endless fun. Gotta love the quarter throttle lift. :D

[​IMG]

:pimp:

Another not real update. I will have some proper updates soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the bracket. I just felt like putting it in the picture.

[​IMG]

Excuse the pm mount... Shiny still has mine. The end can has been cut down and it had a few cracks so it was re-welded and polished up again and has new packing as it was loud as crap!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And back up to date... Realised I didn't actually have any proper pictures of it with the Pm on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PM bracket is flattened so it doesn't have PM on it and it is black.

[​IMG]

Finally!

Next update will be putting on the last bits and leaving it as is. Final specs will be

Malossi 172kit - Ported
    Malossi Torque driver
    Malossi Secondary Gearup
    Malossi Blue Clutch Springs
    Malossi Yellow Contra Spring
    Malossi Multivar Variator.
    Stage6 V-force with custom cut Polini reeds
    Stage6 manifold and spacer
    Polini Air filter
    28mm Carb
    Ported Casings
    BGM 55 Stroke Crank
    Polini Belt
    PM59 with a custom cut down end can.
    Lightened Gilera Runner Flywheel
    Gilera Runner Stator
    Malossi CDI
    Stage6 quick action throttle
    Pre-mix

Cboya and suleyman like this.
  2. Nrg-Sam

Nrg-Sam Active Member

loovin it mr terro :D

is it all done, dusted and on zi roads now :p

sam :)

3. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Nice terro, you have done a bloody nice job there. :)

4. gazell

gazell Active Member

everytime i come on this site i have to look at that bike lmao

its fuckin bootyfull

5. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    Im pretty sure my next bike will be a typh, must be heaps of fun with the 172 in. :w00t:

6. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    i would never have a air cooled bike again. had so much trouble with overheating because i do loads of long trips on dual carriageways like 50miles trips at the weekend and then just go down to southend for fun

7. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    being air cooled shouldn't make a difference on long trips, if the bike is moving it should have a good flow of air over the barrel.

tweak used to commute from college in southampton to lincoln and back in a weekend on an sr125 (240 miles each way, stopping only for fuel) with no overheating problems

8. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    they just get far too hot for me

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    now trhats a fookin long drive for any 2t

10. bEN

bEN Active Member

Rides:
    Ducati 848
    In my experience an AC scooter has been alot less hassle.

suleyman likes this.
  11. area51dude

area51dude Member

Rides:
    Nrg mc3 70cc
    I like a/c ... Just the simple fact that you don't have to worry about coolent... A mate of mine fitted a 70cc kit to his l/c dna... The twat didn't bleed the coolent system... Seized his engine within 5 mins :emb:

12. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    i did that today :emb: , didn't seize it though. just rebuilt my area51, new crank, piston and rings. ran it for about 40 seconds and this sickenin thought hit me SHIT NO COOLANT. so off with the motor, leave it 10 mins (to stop me warping the barrel by the sudden cooling) then drop the water in it and run it up agian. no damage thankfully. now just running in :(

13. abz

abz Member

ac all the way least hassel defo

suleyman likes this.
  14. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300

you like a/c because your mate doesnt know what hes doing with his l/c bike :w00t:

15. area51dude

area51dude Member

Rides:
    Nrg mc3 70cc

Yeah... Probs :cool: :D

16. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
  17. LUXY D

LUXY D New Member

looking nice there terro

only thing id do diff is put nrg rims on! :cool:

18. tErr0

I would if i could find any! 12" are a cunt to find.

19. LUXY D

LUXY D New Member

well keep eye out for some coz that wud make it look SICK!

try even searching "storm" on ebay & shit coz they made a typh wid nrg rims but was a storm not typhoon

so u sure std 13" wuddnt fit na?

20. tErr0

I know lux. :)

13's would fit but i would have to change the front forks and my aftermarket disk. Oh and the rear hugger would have to be changed. o_O

UK ebay has none and ebay.de has none as well. :(