my "little" bike

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by scubabiker, May 13, 2013.

1. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

gonna start the carb teardown tomorrow. wish me luck

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Good Luck ;) I'm really torn between buying a VF 750 F or a VFR 750 at the moment, I've seen an immaculate VF at a dealer but they are asking daft money for it.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

get the vfr, i got mine for very cheap, and i was lucky that it came with a spares bike and we had exactly the right spares at work, they are a very troubled bike, need lots of maintenance

5. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Yep I think you are right, go for the VFR for now and leave the VF until later. I've seen first hand a lot of the VF 750 F engine troubles, I just can't help loving them though! (and the VF 1000 FE)

If I went for the VF I was just going to use it for local jollies, keeping it more as a collector's piece and accepting it could spend more time on the bench than the road. The VFR I would want to get proper miles out of so I need to think sense not nostalgia.:)

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Fuel tank is off, what a pain that is, im actually gonna change the fuel pipes I think now

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ok so after 3 hours, got the carbs off, drained them, the fuel was brown, took a float bowl off, full of old rust, gonna split the fuel pump and clean the filter too, jets seem clean, carbs have been off before. gonna upjet by 1 size i think

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

this was the inside of the float bowls SUNP0015.JPG

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

carbs are together again, might try getting them on the bike tomorrow.

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

new fuel pipes fitted, new fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel pump, also made up a new earth cable, cant fit them to the bike as my shoulder is too bad from the tendonitus still, plus its minus 3 outside and gale force winds (its always windy as i live right by the sea)

11. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Tendonitis sucks, I had it my wrist for years. Have you had a chance to look at the cam lobe surfaces? Saw in some of the pictures the rocker covers were off.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah measured all of them, they were all like new, was actually quite shocked as I know these had bad cams, they did a recall on them, our parts fiche actually has the old part number!

13. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    That's good news, though a lot of them died because of the cams it was eventually sorted out.

I've seen cases where I guess the mods had not been done where they were badly pitted, obviously worn and in a couple of cases where they had worn completely through the outer hardening and effectively the whole cam lobe had worn away, leaving the engine full of swarf! Wish back then we had digital cameras, had to be seen to be believed in some cases.

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

update time. got the carbs on, still have all the skin left on my knuckles! have test ridden it, but it starts, i put the tank on for a test start, had the airbox off as im gonna clean the filter at work tomorrow. next step, seat cover, and then its paint. watch this space

15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Update, carbs and filter is back on, runs good, started first push of the button, do need to adjust the mixture a little tho, but that can wait till the dyno is fixed, then I can set it up right

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Update. Started sanding for the paintjob

turbovetto likes this.
  17. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Any pics? Love to see works in progress.

18. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Welcome to my world !

scubabiker likes this.
  19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im kinda lucky, the old yellow is gonna be part of the new paintjob, so its not too much spraying, lots of clever masking needs doing tho

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

SUNP0112.JPG
    the sun was out so i went up the mountain

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.