My Gilera Runner 180 is close to being complete

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Dean Wright, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Dean Wright

Dean Wright Member

Rides:
    Gileria Runner SP
    Pleased with the way shes looking, just a few Gilera decals to go. Created it to homage to a RD 400 Yam, but ended up more of a 1999 R1 Yam

IMG_20170922_132153.jpg
    IMG_20170918_184532.jpg

Engine mod wise, I have a technigas can. Standard carb and setting. 10.2 Weights. The Blue Malossi Clutch Springs. Malossi Air Filter.

Shes sweet, but I need to get her off the mark quicker. Them R1s are beating me when the flag drops!(when the traffic lights go green).

I know the can has raised the power band up the scale. So do I :-

go for a different carb set up that has a air screw ?

Or put the heavier red clutch springs that will engage the rear wheel (drive) at the higher revs ?

I am not bothered if she only does 50mph I want to be of the grid!! (the stop line) like a "scalded cat".

Dean

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Sweet looking ride.!.:) -

rode alot of DX's in the 80's & 90's,good memories.:):).

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Race crank/172cc psn ported kit, cases/25-30mm carb/pm 59/125 gearing and then you might have a chance!

4. Dean Wright

Dean Wright Member

Rides:
    Gileria Runner SP
    I have taken her back to standard as far as Exhaust and Air Filter. She now has a new Piston and Rings and all run in.

Loads more power the rings were well worn. The power is all at the top end, I am a Townie and want acceleration rather than top speed. Shall I go for 7.5 gramme weights to get her of the mark.?

I have heavy duty clutch and main springs with a race belt. Do not want to get into carbs and exhausts as she has the power, just not in the right place.

5. Dean Wright

Dean Wright Member

Rides:
    Gileria Runner SP
    Got some 10g rollers in and has improved mid range dramatically, as this is were the engine is peaking. I think now is all good in the drive area, as far as weights belt and clutch.

I need that voom !! from the word go. I am only going to get that from a carb that has a air screw. What is a good carb to get please? I want to keep original air-box.

6. Dean Wright

Dean Wright Member

Rides:
    Gileria Runner SP
    Got some 10g rollers in and has improved mid range dramatically, as this is were the engine is peaking. I think now is all good in the drive area, as far as weights belt and clutch.

I need that voom !! from the word go. I am only going to get that from a carb that has a air screw. What is a good carb to get please? I want to keep original air-box