My bike has been really messed up

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by MaximusHeisenberg, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Today I discovered that someone has tried to steal my bike and has wrecked the ignition and the steering and damaged the front tyre. With having 2 heavy duty chains plus a disk lock alarm, immobilizer and steering lock it prevented them from riding it away.

It's been parked in a car park next to a police station with CCTV cameras, I have reported it to the police.

Had to get it picked up and dropped off at the local bike shop but looks like it's a write off due to the frame being knackered, according to the bike shop it looks like it's been welded before around the steering area.

I only have 3rd party insurance but the breakdown guy noted it as attempted theft and the bike shop said the same so I really hope I am covered.

Got to wait a day or two from confirmation from the bike shop as to whether it's a write off or not.

I am gutted.

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Been around a bit,mate -
    you have to put it down as a learning experience....and just be thankful the bike was'nt wrecked,while you were riding it.

3. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

I am thankful for that but I am gutted, I just hope the insurance will pay out as I won't be able to get another bike otherwise, it's attempted theft so I'm guessing my 3rd party fire and theft will cover it, I've never claimed before or had this situation before.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If your green and a 1st timer on this issue,don't go into this situation alone.!.,
    Get a friend with a level head on their shoulders / more experienced in insurance issues and especially be careful about how you speak to your brokers,and what information you give them.
    It's very important that you think about what you say to them,as they have a tendency to focus on certain wordages,that deem how they will deal with your claim.mk.

5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

First you said you only have third party insurance that doesn't cover fire and theft so if that's all you have they won't cover that.

I feel for you tho. I had my bike stolen although it was just a push bike and quite cheap I was still mad some grubby little shit putting his hands on my things made me furious I wanted to strangle the thieving little shit until his fucking eyes popped out of his skull....unfortunately I never saw that again but I know the feeling of losing something you use everyday. I'd be even more pissed if someone had gone to the trouble of breaking my scooter and being too stupid to realise in the first place they would never have got it driving due to the locks and chains its covered in. I don't understand why they wouldn't break those first...why the hell would they go right for the ignition and fuck shit up like retards.

6. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    they probably wont even waste their breath as its classed as vandelised and it wasn't stolen. TPFT wont cover vandalism. At the end of the day shit happens, you've learned a lesson from it.

Your security gear did its job so be greatfull for that. a bike can always be repaired/replaced.

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

when i moved over here, i had my bike stolen, and of course, because i was moving abroad, i cancelled my damn insurance! i feel for you man!
    hope that they dont write it off! what bike is it? when my old bike got stolen (it was stolen a few times!) i got it back, and i was riding it a few days later, and as i went round a hairpin bend, the steering lock barrel dropped out and locked on....... i never claimed on the insurance any time it got stolen, as i was like you, 3rd party only (i mean the bike was only worth like 200 quid and it didnt even have a key!)

8. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Sorry for the confusion above, I have 3rd party fire and theft insurance not just 3rd party, I didn't go fully comp due to the value of the bike which is around £600.

My bike is a write off as the frame has been snapped and that alone will cost £500 without labour so probably around £700? But yeah it's a write off. The front wheel was damaged and the ignition, steering, frame so yeah not good at all, very gutted about it especially as i've only had it for a month.

Scubabiker, my bike is a Piaggio Skipper ST 125.

Phoned insurance company and looks like I am covered which is a relief, they will be getting back to me and arranging recovery of my bike for inspection.

Thank you for all your messages.

9. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Surprising, who are you with??? Keep in mind your insurance premiums are going to shoot up next year!!

10. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Why's it surprising? Attempted theft is still theft, I would say it's more than vandalism, the fact they have broke the frame and messed up the ignition/steering/front wheel in my opinion shows they were trying to steal it. The breakdown guy noted down attempted theft as that was his opinion too.

I'm with Hastings, they seem friendly to deal with and have been good so far.

11. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Have you got any pics of the damage ? In particular the ignition lock housing ?

12. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

No, but I will take some pics if I can when I go to collect the locks from under the seat which will be tomorrow or Friday hopefully, the breakdown guy did take some pics of the bike though before loading it onto the van although he struggled as the wheel was damaged along with the steering.

You could barely see the lock through the hole, when the bike shop took the front off and showed me the frame it was a total wreck, the steering lock was obviously broken first then I don't know what they did to it after that but I don't know why they would try and steal it, yes they might have been able to steal it but it was quite secure.

13. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    scootzmadness likes this.
  14. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

The frame is totally knackered, I've seen how bad it is and there's no way that's fixable without a whole new frame, that's £800-£900 with labour so it's a write off, it looks very bad under the front panel. The bike is beyond economical repair, that's been confirmed definitely.

I've told the insurance company they are welcome to inspect the bike by all means but I don't want them taking it somewhere and then charging me all kinds of fee's and storage fee's and if it did have any repairs need doing, I'd want the shop where it is at now to carry them out, so I've said they will have to inspect it where it is, at the bike shop. I believe in my opinion and from advice I have received that as the bike owner I can do this and it is a reasonable request.

Also been told that my bike is worth £1,000 in good condition which it is/was before it got wrecked, I didn't pay anywhere near that so if it comes to them paying out, It will be interesting to see what I am offered.

15. m1ck_t

Rides:
    alot of shit
    And as if by magic , another one turns up. , this one is on a Vespa S125 .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scootzmadness likes this.
  16. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Just an update:

Insurance company contacted the bike shop who confirmed to them that it is a write off so it is being picked up in the next day or two as a total loss and will go to the salvage yard and i should get a valuation by the end of the week.

When I get my replacement bike, can anyone recommend what else I can do to protect it? I have to keep it in the local car park as I have nowhere else to keep it. I had 2 heavy duty chain locks and the disk lock alarm with the GPS tracker and immobilizer and steering lock on this bike.

Is there anything else that can be done? Apart from putting a cover on it?

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

get a hidden ignition switch, somewhere nowhere near the ignition, like near the tail light or something

18. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

the ones you had sounded enough, at the end of the day, if they want it, they will have it.... the hidden ignition switch is a super cheap very efficient way of helping stop theft, saved my old suzuki like 3 times. i also had a dummy ignition switch (key thing with no wires actually going to it)

20. MaximusHeisenberg

MaximusHeisenberg Member

Where do you get the hidden ignition switches from and how easy are they to fit? Or would I have to get someone to fit it? Just wondering how they are wired and how they work?

Thanks for your replies though.