Mopeds,Mirrors an MOT's.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mark Emerson Trentham, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Is it actually a legal requirement.when you take your moped in for an MOT - to have mirrors fitted.?,
    and if not,would it be advisable to blank off the left & right threads (left 3/4 stripped,right broken off 3-4mm in).

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i dont think it is, just an advisory if i recall, do some googling and you will find out for sure

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Tryed that mate - but theres so many outdated posts & with laws changed all the time it's annoying as hell.!.,
    Plan on putting set of tubeless in for fitting tomm.morning,same place reckon i'll MOT it at.will get it straight from the horses mouth.;).

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i think it should be ok really. my gt didnt have any mirrors, but that was a 1980 model, so maybe special rules? who knows huh? guess we shall find out.

5. KidBilly

KidBilly Active Member

Rides:
    Zip 125
    My old zip 125 never had any mirrors and it passed the MOT fine, no advisories ect.

6. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    No its not.

The rule is - if they are fitted they must be secure and not cracked.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just had a set of Conti's fitted to the Zip - it is NOT a requirement in the U.K. to have wing mirrors fitted/that was straight out of the MOT testers mouth.;).
    So be taking it in soon without,an fitting one afters....as tester might not aprove of fastening.

8. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    As a qualified MOT tester (yep i just dont do the whole garage ripping people off thing anymore)

Id pass it as long as it is secure and not likely to fall off.
    Howeve some MOT testers can be arseholes and be funny about it.

again, the rule is - IF it is fitted it MUST be secure and the glass can not be cracked + must be fully functioning.
    IF they arent fitted then they dont get tested.

Same with side stands and centrestands, IF they are fitted they must be fully functioning. If they are NOT fitted, they arent tested. Some testers will be funny about that but a bike place will have paddock stands.