Mods for 50cc Vespa 4T 4V

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by dparis007, Jul 7, 2016.

1. dparis007

dparis007 New Member

Hi from Canada,

You guys seem to know a lot more about tuning than we do in Canada ans i have the following question.

I'd like to know what additional mods I could make to my scooter to make it go a little faster without decreasing the life expectancy of my engine too much. My max speed is currently about 75km/h indicated, but the rev limiter seems to do its job at about 70km/h, so I have to let off the throttle a little to reach 75 km/h.

I have a 4T 4V 50cc Vespa Primavera with the following upgrades:

Malossi 78cc big bore kit
    Malossi performance variator and 8grams weights
    Size 78 main jet.

Do you think a Malossi Digitronic CDI which wil lincreae the limited by 1000 RPM would increase my top speed to about 80-85km/h?

has any of you installed a secondary gear on the Primavera? If so, what kind and what were the results?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

David

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Welcome aboard shipmate

I don't think many of us here have much experience with the 4v 50 engines or 4t 50's altogether . Much favour the 2t engine in any format . However , tunning is tunning and I do know that on a 4t piaggio 50 engine, the cdi is the only restriction and with that removed it will easily do 40mph. How fast does it go with the mods you've done already ? A good camshaft is also a must on any modded 4t.

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    honestly, pull the engine/loom out, stick it in the corner of the garage nice and safe and stock, clocks even, buy a 2 stroke engine/loom, throw that in there... HONESTLY a cheaper option than a single tuning part for that engine. your stock engine is then unused, perfect, standard, there... you can then stick a 70 kit and pipe on the new engine and do wheelys all day

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    in response to your actual question, go for gears, leave the ignition alone. be prepared to loose a little acceleration/produce a bit more heat

5. Todi-Corsa

Todi-Corsa 4 stroke thumper

A gear kit would make a diffrence I haven't fitted a gear up on mine although I do have below.....

Malossi power cam and a good port and polish will see an improvement and will make the engine feel more alive - though the cam will make it idle very lumpy, change for a 21mm carb and stick a decent free flowing exhaust on it.

Ignition wise assuming youve removed the restrictor you could always remove the limiter, did this on mine and put an adjustable limiter on it as I was worried I'd over rev the engine, now I'm looking to change this for a completely new ignition system as I want to be able to make changes which cannot be done with the standard ignition, theres a few on the market, Polini make one and malossi also.

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Do not forget the Brap brap exhaust so you can scare all those big bears away and not become a meal for them.

Minor confusion has the best advice , shoving in a 2t motor would have your 4t making you smile from ear to ear 24/7 .
    Todi is right with an uprated cam to going to be alot better with that and the restricions removed from the ignition to.
    not sure how it would fair but maybe a rebore of the bigger capacity cylinder to a +1 oversized piston eaking out a tiny bit more capacity to
    and the gear up kit to finish.

that way your gonna be a lot quicker than those black bears and grizles :)

Todi-Corsa likes this.