MK 1 Piaggio Zip 50 2t electrical issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Laceee, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Laceee

Laceee New Member

Hey!

I would like some help with my scooter, it has been sitting for a few years, now we want to use it so we started to repair it. The engine works perfectly, but I have a bit of a problem with the electrics. The battery is dead, but the headlight and taillight works when the engine is on, however, I don't know if it needs a working battery for the indicators, horn, and brake light to work. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Ron-E.T

Ron-E.T New Member

Is this a troll question? If it isn't a troll then the obvious answer is "If you've managed to get it running by kick starting, then why not check while its running". All electrics should work on a running bike. Sensors, lights, horn, indicators.

3. Laceee

Laceee New Member

That would be pretty obvious, no it's not a troll question, but it might have been phrased badly, so, when the engine is running, the taillight and the headlight work but no other electrics seem to function. The battery is dead, and I'm not sure if it's needed for the indicators and other non functioning electrics to work while the engine is running.

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Indicators are run via the reg/rec, the flasher unit is built into it.
    Check the running voltage across the battery terminals to see if the rectifier is dead. You should have 14.6 volts at around 5000rpm.