Missing vacuum pipe?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Richierich, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Richierich

Richierich New Member

Hi guys,
    I am new to scooters, so bear with me. My son has a Sym City Hopper 50cc (Y-reg), it was working fine earlier in the year when we bought it, but now the cold weather is here, it has trouble starting. The electric starter turns okay, but we get better results using the kick-starter after a few goes. Could be many thing, I know, but we noticed a missing pipe coming from the carburettor as in the attached drawing. There was a broken remnant of a pipe on it, but I cant see where it should be attached to. I'm guessing its a vacuum pipe, but can't see a corresponding attachment point or broken pipe elsewhere. If I put my finger over the stub, the engine starts to run faster.
    Can anyone tell me what it is for and where I should be looking to attach it to?

Attached Files:

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think thats just a breather pipe?

3. Richierich

Richierich New Member

Hi Guys,
    I still haven't resolved this issue, despite searching all over the internet. It seems a weird carb, the fuel inlet is on a different part? Anyway, at present, the scooter idles really badly, until I put a finger on the stub to block it, then it idles smoothly. Conversely, when I rev it, with my finger still on the stub pipe, it cuts out. Would a breather pipe cause this?
    The stub pipe is on the air inlet side of the carb, just after where the rubber pipe attaches from the air filter, see additional pictures
    Thanks
    Richard

Attached Files:

• Sym1.JPG
      Sym1.JPG
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • Sym2.JPG
      Sym2.JPG
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
    • Sym1.JPG
      Sym1.JPG
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • Sym2.JPG
      Sym2.JPG
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
  4. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Hard to tell from the photos but normal a pipe coming off the inlet rubber or carb is a vacuum pipe and goes to the fuel tap on most scooters. so check the fuel tap. if it does not have a vacuum tap then it might just need blanking off because maybe a different model uses it.