Michelin city pro tyre

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrXT, Apr 23, 2017.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Anyone had these before? I had one put on as my rear tyre and since its fitted it feels really soft like its flat even tho the air pressure is at the max my scooter manual specifies for the rear wheel. I also feel I can't lean in without losing the rear although that might still be because its still wearing in. Anyone got experiences with this tyre?

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Couple of thoughts. They seem to get very good reviews?
    Possibly as it's quite a "blocky" tread you are feeling it give a little.
    I've had bikes with trail type tyres and a 125 Typhoon 4t with an off road type tyre and you can feel the tread so possibly that's it?
    Personally I would go back to the normal pressure as taking it to the advisory max for your scooter will probably make it worse if you are not carrying a passenger
    Is it mounted the right way round?
    Trouble is once you lose confidence in a tyre it's always on your mind lol

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I feel like iv lost confidence in my rear wheel completely, i used to be able to scrape the side stand in corners on 16inch wheels but now i slow down and turn the handle bars like a noob to make corners. I feel like the rear tyre is going to come off the rim again everytime i make a turn and i can feel the softness of the new tyre through the bike very well because the old tyre and the front tyre were and are hard kenda tyres. Hope i can adapt to the new change otherwise i may try and sell this bike and move on. Sad because i loved this bike for cornering.

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well if all you've done is replace the rear tyre assuming everything has been done up tight? then it can only be the tyre so surely getting another tyre rather than selling would be the answer?
    Anything that came off to fit the new tyre has to be double checked.
    Sit down on the exhaust side and grab the wheel push and pull it side to side or get someone to hold it and use your feet to try and move the wheel.
    Did you dismantle it or did a dealer do it?
    If a dealer did it take it back.
    Take a look at this video there are plenty of bolts that may be loose(if a dealer did it).
    Ignore the language.
    Once the exhaust is off (in the video) pay particular attention to the two bolts at the front of the swinging arm and the large nut on the axle. Also the shock bolt. If that swinging arm is loose in any way it will affect stability.
    You should be able to check them without removing the exhaust.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    MrXT likes this.
  5. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Tyre is defo the right way around according to the arrow. After work i went in the car park and leaned in a few times and the bike seemed pretty stable i think it might just be all in my head, the tyre is much softer than the previous one and its probably just going to take a while for me to adapt to the new feel of the bike. Probably would have been wise to have both front and rear tyres changed to the same michelin tyre rather than having two odd tyres.