MHR Rep and Laser

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Major Rel14b1lty, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Major Rel14b1lty

Major Rel14b1lty New Member

Basically im really intersted in mopeds/scooters.

And differnt bore kits and exhaust combinations excite me

Does anyone know which kits work good with others and has any information regarding performance of exhausts.

I have a mhr rep alloy malossi kit with a laser x pro and malossi multivar.

Ive heard the mhr kit doesnt go well with the laser. Why not?

2. Major Rel14b1lty

yer whats the single piston ring all about and whats the disadvantage, do you losse compression?

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    one piston ring makes for less friction and more scope for porting as theres only one ring end to miss on the port wall as opposed to 2. this means the secondary transfer port can be wider.
    this comes with a disadvantage as the ring wears 3 times as quick and creates more side load on the piston causing skuffing and small end bearing wear.. good bit of kit tho

4. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

Bit of useless info there by morgan as neither of them are made for Pug engines.

It's all very limited when it comes to Pugs as not many people make parts for them due to the fact they don't have very good engines to start off with.

The match i gave you of the MHR Rep and Nardo is the only one you can do! Well unless you mod a C16 to fit but that's no easy job.

The only way to get more power than the MHR Rep and Nardo on a Pug is to swap the MHR Rep for the Hebo Manston Rep. It's got harsher porting and a single ringed piston. It will give you about 2bhp over the MHR Rep.

If you want more your stuck. You have to get modding Piaggio 70kits and exhausts.

5. Major Rel14b1lty

ok cheers mate, so why doesnt the laser work well with the mhr?

Could it wreck either by running them together, or will i just have less power?

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    to understand why it doesent work takes understanding of exactly how the pipe works. basicly the gas moves down the pipe, is reflected back pushing unburnt fuel in the cylinder befor bouncing back and leaving the exhaust. the laser reflects too early for your barrel (mhr kit) and as a result the timing of the exhaust port closing is out of sink with the pipe.

thas as basic as i can make it im afriad m8

7. Major Rel14b1lty

could this cause my bike tp pink

as laterly its started tapping, and i think it may be pinking.

Could using a laser and mhr wreck either or them?

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    it wont do damage, just the powerband will be alot lower than it should be. if the transmission is setup correctly it should be in the powerband anyway.

tapping/pinking noises can often be mistook for piston slap/worn bearings so its worth checking out. you can loose most firing issues with the plug gap tho.

9. Major Rel14b1lty

yer i thoguht it was worn bearings to begin with.

But i cant lift up or push down my flywheel or variator.

Little end bearing look sok but ive orderd another one anyway..

When i rebuild the top end if it taps again i think ill raise the head by mabe putting in to gaskets to see if the piston is hitting the head.

The kit was only fitted from brand new last sunday as was fine untill sunday night. Thats when the tapping occured and i have only ridden it once since witht he tapping.

As soon as i give it revs the sound complety dies out. Might be cause the exhaust noise is to loud so i cant hear it. But when i rev it cant hear it at all untill the revs dop again

10. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    could well be the big end bearing (in the crank) had this problem with old fuel befor now aswell..

to check wether the head is clearing the piston put 2 lengths of solder through the plug hole to ether side of the cylinder wall and turn the engine over slowly by hand. take the solder out an messure the squished part. your fitting kit will have the correct mesurement (min of 0.8mm usually)

11. Major Rel14b1lty

yer ivew been quoted 200 to get the bearings changed or a new crank put in, this is if i buy the new crank seperatly
    150 if i take the engine out

80 pounds if i split the engine..

i dont have that sort of money. Im going to try everything so hope its nothing expensive. Sounds as if its comming from the bore though

12. Major Rel14b1lty

do you think my standard pipe would work better with my malossi kit then my laser?

I very much doubt it just a though

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no the lasers are good pipes, perform better than a stock would on any barrel.

14. Major Rel14b1lty

o ryt thats good to hear, so they are good pipes ect its just there powerband doesnt perform well as the mhr rep kit and the lasers powerbands are at differnt rpm so its just for a shorter amount of time, as when i was riding it with the bore (last sunday) it was bloody quick and the exhaust soundy beutiful for most of the rev range

15. Major Rel14b1lty

Should i fit the reed that came with my bore.

The guys on pug-club told me not to

It seems the things they say other people with more expertues like you lot say differnt

what ya think reeds for leave stanardard ones?

And are they hard to fit

Please excuse typing had some of the old beeer

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    reeds are a must with a pipe.. they allow the bike to rev more freely at higher revs and reduce flutter. throttle responce will improve also. only use stock reeds with a stock pipe (even then i replace with stiffer even if the bike only has one part fitted)

17. Major Rel14b1lty

ok im going to go do em now, cheers for that mate, lets hope i dont screw this up or my bike will be off road dor longer.

18. Major Rel14b1lty

ok so what 70 kit goes really well as the laser, as i was thinking of getting a nardo, but i then thought if my bore goes and ive just bought a nardo i will be fucked off.

Were as exhausts dont usually change, so i think what ill do, is keep my laser and find out what kit goes best with it,. mhr sport i think you said?
    So when my "tapping" rep eventually goes bang i know what one to buy

Also how do the pm tuning pipes go with the mhr rep as my mate may want to buy it off of me, giving me the money and options for another kit :p

19. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

If it's running fine leave it. Your not going to get anymore performance out of downgrading your kit.

PM Tuning 50 exhausts are sport exhausts. Crap ones too.

20. Major Rel14b1lty

lol ok cheers mate

Yer his pm sounds a bit tinny and as if there is no back pressure.

However the bike is quick for a 50.

I want to try out this wheely stuff but i dont thinm my mono shock will cope with it unless i come down lightly.

Will a clutch help me wheely and do you think my spec is good enough for me to start trying with this bike