Metal shavings from dry clutch?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by CreepyButCute, Jul 12, 2017.

1. CreepyButCute

CreepyButCute New Member

The term newbie definitely applies here, so if this question is daft, my bad, haha. After my drive belt snapped, was forced to take that part of my Lexmoto Valencia apart and found a considerable amount of metal shavings in and around my drive clutch. Is that a normal result of one of those or should I be concerned?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    hello creepybutcute

this is not an ideal situtation , you really need to pull the clutch bell off and the rear pulley and clutch unit and have a very good inspection of those parts.

metalic shavings could be a sign of adverse wear or even a failure in a mehcanical part that could put you at risk later along the line, ie a second sheered belt due to these shavings.
    what i would say is remove the parts mentioned put them aside, use a compressor or a can of compressed air and give that area a good blow out with the air, then take your time and remove the clutch from the rear pulley so you can inspect it fully, also inspect the clutch bell inner face see if this has degraded over time, and also the rear pulley itself, you could find guide pins have worn or broken and the rear pulley is not working correct. if all these parts come back ok. remove the front variator fixed half and the variator itself, romove the rolelrs from the variator and check the roller ramps inside the variator are ok and the guide walls are intact.

these would be the main mechanical parts that would produce metal shards/shavings