Malossi multivar or Polini Variator?

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by SALVAGED, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    On Ad-pedstop, there is a £18 difference, the Malossi one being £109, and the Polini one being £93. Will the Malossi one work better with the Malossi 172 kit, or is that me just being stupid? help please!

-salvaged, thanks.

2. BigWill1

BigWill1 New Member

malossi for 125 vari, improved ramp angles and such.. get a polini 180 one tho and polini 180 belt..

3. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    I bought the 125-180 polini variator.
    But I think I made a mistake in buying the 125 polini kevlar race belt.
    Should I of bought the 180 polini kevlar race belt?

Davidoff likes this.
  4. Blue dwarf

Blue dwarf New Member

Dont know your bike specs but if you`ve got a 125 then set the Polini vario up as a 125 and run the 125 belt (read the instructions and place the shims where advised).
    If you`ve got a 172 then set it up as a 180 and run the Polini 180 belt (part number 248.018).

Simples :grin:

Davidoff likes this.
  5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ether way the polini variator is 60 quid.. the malossi is 90 so adrenaline can BLOW ME

can use diff size rollers to make up for the shimming issue ether way. 180 rollers with a 125 belt spaced up as a 180 works fine also.. theres gains and losses for every setup tho but do as dwarf says and the belt will sit straight. messure your rollers befor shimming tho as 19 and 20mm rollers make a BIG diff to bottom and top end pull.

ive found the polini variator wiht the stock torque drive hasd a small dip in accel to 10mph altho this is mostly wiht new shape engines.

Cboya likes this.
  6. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    I bought the polini variator, it should come with some rollers, but depening on the weight I might not use. I've also previously bought 12.5 malossi ones, but I also kept the 13.5 ones, rideorcollide took my 12.5's out, because he said my bike 'sounded' like it was gonna blow up, because the accel was just mad.

So, my setup probably would be;

Polini variator, 13.5gs, 125 polini kevlar race belt, 110 jet(or 95 idk yet), should I change this, or keep it?

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ang on, you got a 110 in a 20.5 carb? are you MAD?

13.5 is about right in any wc bolt on 172.. wont be as low as 12.5 wiht the majority of pipes

stock carb needs around a 90/92 for a 20.5 with a filter.. like an 86 without (just to make up for the pipe) supprisingly you dont need to upjet when fitting a 172 on its own, only when a pipes fitted.

8. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    I'll leave my 95 in for now then.
    I think I'm getting a pm59 very soon though, brand new from storeee, not the one with the TSAB though. So, should the 110 fit in there nicely? Or a diff. size?

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    you will NEVER need a 110 in a stock carb?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

10. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    Oh sorry minor, I forgot to mention the 28, lool, my bad.. ^_^

11. rideorcollide

rideorcollide Active Member

Rides:
    TYPH 172
    lol.
    u gettin the flatslide 1 or a normal 1?

12. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    flatslide will be way off jetting wise (compared to a dell) you want around a 150 to start with for an open filter...

lets start again, what spec is the engine, what carb type?

13. rideorcollide

rideorcollide Active Member

Rides:
    TYPH 172
    spec is 172 kit,
    polini vario
    125 polini belt.
    13.5 rollers.
    pm59

n hes geting a 28mm,
    i know someone selling a brand new 28mm flatslide.. said it was a dellorto though :confused:cratch:

14. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    dell dont do a 2t flatslide 28 to the best of my knowledge.. the vhsb is a 34 flatslide.

in a phbh 28 it will be a 110 worked down (maybe as low as a 105 in a wc) trial and error... main prob with 28's is the needles... hence people all say "28's are shit, 25 is better" as the 28 comes with a WAY wrong needle for a scooter...idle jet is usually wrong also.

but ye, work it down from a 110 but sort the needle FIRST, thick needles wont ever work right. see it all the time

15. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    so, if i got the choice to buy a 25 or a 28, you're telling me to get a 25 ye?
    because they're both there for me.

16. PrettyDodgyDave

PrettyDodgyDave Member

Rides:
    Runner 180
    no im goind for a 28 just because there a pain in the arse to set up dnt mean that once set up wont give alot better performance with them will just take time to set up

unless you can get to a good company with a dyno such as shiny?

17. SALVAGED

SALVAGED Member

Rides:
    125 typhoon
    I live in London, any scooter tuning places?
    except 2wheels, macmotors?

18. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    25 is a peice of piss to setup, no need to go changing needles idle jets and slides... 28 is quicker but drinks fuel. 2 wheels are fuck all good for any kind of tunning, nobody in there has a fucking clue (they just scammed somone into a new crank and mains on an engine i done just to have a look at my work... guess what, took them 3 weeks to rebuild the engine)

dont trust em, police sit opposit there shop, there staff are thieving asshoiles and the owner is a scaffolder.

19. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    mac motors are a great parts shop, if a little overpriced. know FUCK ALL about tunning... just ask silly questions like "what bikes it for" then sudgest stock parts?!?!?!

if its just a carb setup im in the south lon don area (kind of)

20. Cboya

Cboya New Member

I
    was maybe aquiring some help :) , what part of Sldn is one based I'm se26 , some sort of payment can be made