Malossi mhr 50

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by James zip, Mar 26, 2019.

1. James zip

James zip New Member

I recently took the 70 kit off my ped and am decided to down grade to a 50 to try and avoid the engine seizing again and was in a motorcycle shop today and was asking about what I should get and was convinced into getting a malossi mhr 50 kit instead of a standard kit for the “higher quality” it was about £40 more and in just wondering if it’s really worth paying the price extra money and what is the main difference

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

The malossi mhr kit makes crazy power, but you'll be changing the rings every 20hrs. You'll need an aftermarket crank, a big carb and true expansion chamber exhaust to even consider this kit. Tuning on the transmission side is a must, too, so figure a variator and probably clutch and pully mods or replacement. And make sure it's not a replica malossi kit- there are loads about.

3. James zip

James zip New Member

Don’t think it’s a replica as he ordered it at the shop and I’m not sure if it’s the exact kit that I said before because it was £115 and I can’t find any close to this price but I would hope it’s not since he told me it would be more reliable so if it really does need all these extra mods then I feel lied too

4. milo2025

You could always take it back I guess but with the mods it would be fantastic.

5. James zip

James zip New Member

He had to order it and should be coming on Thursday I will just ask him some questions when I go to collect it

6. milo2025

£115? That doesn't sound right to me at all. If it is you have got yourself a bargain!

7. James zip

James zip New Member

I thought that was a bit off aswell but I just thought maybe they have some sort of discount but I’m not sure even then it’s still quite cheap

8. milo2025

Definitely best to double check when you go collect it.

9. James zip

James zip New Member

Just done some more research and it seems the kit I’ve ordered come with a 2 ring piston so isn’t a full on racing kit which makes it slightly cheaper but won’t create as much power but will still have more power than a standard 50cc kit so I don’t think all the mods will be necessary as it’s just a slightly more powerful kit than standard but will still just ask when it comes anyway just to make sure

10. milo2025

That makes much more sense. I didn't think it could be the actual full blown racing kit and yes the mods wouldn't be so necessary and you won't have to keep changing the rings. But it's still malossi and as such I definitely feel it's worth the extra 40 quid.

11. milo2025

I take back what I said about the malossi range of replica racing kits, for quality and value they are still excellent kits to own. You've got me looking at their website now to see what gear they have for my speedfight 100 2t!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Mechanics advice here.
    You can run a high end tuning cylinder without ever seizing it, as long as you do 3 things
    1. Jet it right.
    2. Use good oil
    3. Let it warm up and run it in.

I see seized motors all the time, they always have either one or more of these problems.

My 2 stroke lives a hard life, it's a 70 alloy kit with some porting, but I've never seized it or lost compression. I let it warm up. I use good oil (I use A747 but a synthetic Castrol or motul is good enough) and I have my carb dialed in properly.
    Run rich, run forever.

milo2025 and Stevep like this.
  13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I'm with scuba
    I did the same on my zip sp, but that was the 70 kit and Team MHR exhaust plus other "bits", went like stink and was reliable as hell.
    Sold it to the original owner who had it when it was new.

milo2025 and scubabiker like this.