Malaguti Phantom F12 70cc tuning

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by banner001, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    lithium battery wise, your not going to get small in way of a scooter/bike battery and they a right pain to get charging from the stator / regulator /rec.

use lithium polys a lot in my hobby as an rc flyer and builder/modder. but the rc lithium battery are small , 3x smaller than a bike battery of the same type.

have a look on a site called hobbyking ( https://hobbyking.com/en_us/?___store=en_us )

closest to 12v will be a 3s (11.1v ) but remember when fully charged that 11.1v shoots upto 12.6v , capacity wise they go from low 400mah all the way upto 8000mah (8 amps ). problem is with lipo's if they drain below 3.6v per battery cell they become unstable, they start to puff like a ballon and in some cases explode into fire/plasma balls. we tend to stick a low voltage alarm on them to give us warning when they are at the unstable mark.

charging is a pain you need to have a lithium polymer charger you need a high tech charger that can do pulse width modulation charging (PWM), if not your run the risk of overcharging (causing fire/explosion) or undercharging and that to ends up with either a fire or a badly harmed battery. its something i looked at when looking for a repalcement battery for he sym jet i own but i decided not to go down the polymer route and stick with standard batterys knowing theres no problems charging from stator / regulator.

you may have seen what a little 3.7v battery can do in a mobile phone ? well your rc battery/bike battery has double/triple the amount of cells in them so the risk is a lot bigger, if one cell lets go they cause a thermal runaway in the full chain and the rest of those cells start to become unstable to