Malaguti Phantom F12 70cc tuning

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by banner001, Oct 21, 2013.

1. banner001

banner001 Member

after filling up today i worked out that its making 59mpg...not too bad, better than the 41mpg from the 400 and definitely better than the ~25mpg i get from the thousand. not sure how much oil its using...ill work it all out later and make sure its drawing sufficient oil. sorted the rear brake and replaced 2 of the instrument bulbs in the dash - i just need a lr43 battery for the clock and im all sorted. i might make up a small tool roll whilst im at it, always a good idea.

ive purchased an inspection cover as mine came without it, needs a few bits and pieces replacing, but other than that its all ok.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

it'll pull a gear up no problem, and you're probably best to, will stop any over-revving issues and premature collapses. You should be pulling about 9-10hp with that setup and the gearbox isn't built for it, long-term.

3. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi
    The Malaguti is a minarelli horizontal engine. I know a little bit about this motor.
    Suggestions:
    All Steeve P's advice is spot on. But if that scooter has not been fiddled with, it will have a 12 mm carb on it. LOOSE IT.
    Get a 17.5 or 21 mm del orto. Keep the standard airbox but upjet and remove the snorkel from the intake of the air box, Start with a 120 jet and work down by fives until it works right and you have a nice chocolate plug.
    Get a gear up kit! Simple as that.
    Get a malossi variator - the multivar.
    What exhaust does it have ? You want a Yasuni R or a C 16 if noise isn't an issue. With that lot your scoot may well be as fast in every day life as your motorbike.

4. banner001

banner001 Member

cheers guys, to turbovetto its got a 19mm del-orto carb and 110 main on a pod filter, fuelling is fine, but it would be better if it had a little more top-end speed, it pulls from the line fine and gets up to revs pretty fast, the speed then takes a while as the variator sorts itself out. it does have amalossi variator, i dont know if its the multivar, but it has the white spring that seems to come with the multivar kits.

would you recommend a primary or secondary gear up kit, or both? ive yet to pull the gearbox apart to see what the number of teeth is.

as for fast in everyday as my normal motorbike :D not quite, i usually amble to work at 110mph, more if im on the thou, or in a hurry. to be fair, as i dont need to put all my gear on for the scoot i suppose the time i lose on the scoot equates to the time i gain by not having to dress and re-dress myself for work twice a day.

i got fully airborne for the first time in a while on the zxr400 on sunday, frontend lifted over a humpback bridge and the revs shot up as the rear got airborne and i landed it perfectly :D

i think the 70 kit is the bog-standard cast iron malossi 70 kit, its running a ? pipe - no branding or marks on it. if funds allow ill stick a better pipe on it or maybe a better aluminium 70 kit and matched pipe.

5. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Good info -
    I would definitely get a gear up kit. The mina horizontal engine is crap stock as far as the transmission goes. It really needs a gear up kit if you want to go over about 45 mph. Even with a good kit / pipe with loads of overrun the stock gearing is just too low - even on a Nitro.
    I would get a primary or a secondary - but not both. Both will probably be a bit much. Go fo Malossi or Stage 6 - but NOT POLINI. I have tried. Too much trouble. The Stage 6 ones are ready pressed - so it's fit and forget. When you fit it, put on one of these:
    http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=...RpU77aCsW10QXnioD4Dg&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAw&dur=1371
    It has roller cages instead of nothing at all. Use sealant on both sides of the gasket when you put it all back together - and degrease the surfaces on the tranny case for the gasket with acetone before assembly. They will be greasy as hell when you undo everything. Use threadlock on the 6 screws and don't forget the two alignment guides. Put the screws through an M6 die to remove all the crap or get new ones. You want to fit and forget, not fit and then have the fucking thing pissing oil and leaking everywhere, undoing itself and making your life hell. I have been there. When I started playing with my scoot about 7 years ago. Get it right first time.
    This case is a godsend and will prevent all sorts of trouble later on. Trust me on this.

For the actual ratios - you need to have a look at what's in there (count the teeth) because I don't know for sure what's in a Malaguti. I have the ratios for the Rox & the Neos - and one of the two is going to be the one you have. A good idea is to call pedparts because they have the gear and they know what works. I am not taking mine apart to count the teeth !

The corrector in the Mina H is shit. Get A malossi Big one. You don't need the full overrange pack to benefit from having a linear corrector (the standard Mina is not linear and makes it impossible to get the scoot tuned right at this level of tune. You end up making a choice between a good take off and no top speed or a shit take off and good top speed.) Get a Multivar variator if you don't get the full overrange pack and you don't already have a decent variator.

And lastly, if you don't want to dremel your cases for the Overrange pack (and belt) use a Peugeot Buxy reinforced belt. It's longer than the stock belt but not long enough to rub on the spars in the tranny case.

Hope this helps -

6. banner001

banner001 Member

cheers dude! is france the only place to buy this particular transmission case from? ebay and a quick google search brings up nothing for the UK and pedparts dont stock the case. ill be sure to buy the pressed gears, i have a 10tonne press at home but i cant be arsed pressing it on and off myself, this way i can simply swap it out if its not got enough pull for the up-gear kit. ill email pedparts about my gear ratios and see what they can offer me in terms of % speed increases.

thanks!

7. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    You can order it from Maxiscoot or wherever - I'm surprised Pedparts don't stock it. They should ! The main axle of the back wheel relies on nothing but steel vs aluminium and the fact that it's in an oil bath. When you start really motoring, this just isn't good enough ! Same for the middle cog shaft. When you get to a certain level of tune, things are just spinning too fast for the stock system to cope. Is scrubs, vibrates itself to bits and is no end of trouble. Stage6 do a similar case, and Ive never heard anything bad about it ......

8. banner001

banner001 Member

cheers, ive just saved £250 on my car insurance so ill be buying these parts asap :D

9. banner001

banner001 Member

10. banner001

banner001 Member

ive emailed malaguti to find out my gearing, but im gonna take the gearbox cover off and just have a look myself. a quick question about gearbox oil, halfords sell a gearbox oil thats 10W-40...but most synthetic scooter gear oils ive seen are 75W-90...any explanation for the difference? will a synthetic 75W-90 be ideal for the transmission as its probably gonna be running hotter than standard?

11. banner001

banner001 Member

ok if anyone wants to know, malaguti phantom F12 AC 1999 gearing is:
    13/52 primary (1:4)
    13/42 secondary (1:3.231) - i took my gearing apart this evening so i know its correct, and ive removed the primary from the cover ready for the new transmission cover :D

so if i switch to the pedparts secondary of 14/41 i should gain +10.3% more speed which should be fine for this bike, im gonna lose a bit going uphill, but only a few mph. my bike is hitting 60 on the clocks so i estimate ~53mph by gps, this should go up to almost a true 60mph with the gear up kit.

anyone got any views on the type/make of gear oil before i order it all tomorrow? and if the bike cant pull this gear kit its no worry, ill keep the better transmision case and go back to the stock gearing.

12. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi
    Two things- I would be surprised if you lost any speed anywhere. You might need to lighten the rollers a smidjun but it's by no means certain. Gear up kits are good news even on a virtually stock cylinder, never mind a decent kit. I know because I had to put my stock cylinder & exhaust on my scoot for a police check up. Worked great! Admittedly the cylinder has been optimized, but it's not a massively powerful cylinder, especially with a frikkin stock catalysed exhaust.......
    Secondly, check with pedparts but I think that case has an O ring so you might not need the gasket. But I would smear sealant on it anyway.
    good luck!

13. banner001

banner001 Member

fitted the kit, holds at 40 and 50mph (dash) a lot better, but its struggling to pull any more than that, i think its becoming engine bhp/rpm limited now (the exhaust has no make on it, and the cylinder looks like a cheap cast 70cc kit). if i go downhill it goes over 60 on the dash, but i think it would need a more powerfull cylinder/exhaust to accomplish anything more. its got 4.5g rollers, ill get a 3.5-6g roller weights kit and see what works best, its slightly lean on midrange both cold and when hot so im gonna raise the needle and increase the idle slightly tonight.

it does indeed have a large o-ring so no need for a gasket, it wasnt leaking when i put it together, but now its had a few runs out ill take off the variator cover and check it for leaks.

so the idea behind lighter rollers is that the scoot should get to max rpm and be in a slightly lower gear than before?

edit - ill get a pic today of the exhaust, though its completely unbranded.

14. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    If the scoot is running faster - you've got a result. You would need more power to go faster and it sounds like playing with the rollers isn't going to get you much more of anything. That will push the revs up for a given speed, but that may not get you more power with a hum-drum cylinder/pipe.
    But it sounds pretty good for cruisin' as it is.

15. banner001

banner001 Member

cheers me deers, i would look to fit a better cylinder/pipe but with all my other road bikes taking priority i think ill just have to settle for what it is at the moment, and fix a few of the cheap niggles, namely ill be needing a quick action throttle and a mount for a RHS wingmirror: the mounting lug inside the RHS switchgear has broken off, someone has attempted a bodge with a steel screw, but this has in turn widened the hole that the lug fits into, so as i turn the throttle the wingmirror dips towards the ground...so that needs sorting first.

the new transmission housing has definitely made a big difference, i dont get any of the offputting low-frequency "humming" noise that i used to get from the transmission now.

cheers for all your help, im sure ill be back in another month asking for minarelli AC cylinder/pipe combinations, might stick it on a dyno before then, its only £30, check out how its fuelling and where the power band is with my current setup.

turbovetto likes this.
  16. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Glad to hear it!
    If you want to go fast for minimum outlay, Stage6 Sport Pro/Yasuni R. That would be the ticket. I run that set up alot. I'm using the sport pro with a c16 (not the city16) and frankly it's so good I haven't bothered rebuilding the Malossi Team 2 yet. The Malossi is clearly faster(with a C30- and so it bloody well should be) but below 60 the difference is not that massive. And It's set up and forget. Which is not to be sniffed at.

17. banner001

banner001 Member

been adjusting a few bits to make it "nicer" to ride. the throttle housing is part of the RHS switchgear, the switchgear was slowly pulling itself apart so that i had almost 1/2" of "slop" forwards and backwards before the throttle kicked in...replaced it with a new long stage 6 throttle cable and domino quick action throttle...all sorted now :D

i replaced the previous owners bodge-job 2 horn mess with a single new louder horn and sorted out his wiring faults, ive replaced the reg/rec and replaced the +ve feed wire from the battery to the reg/rec as this had a break in it with a brand new wire left over from my full wiring rebuild from the fzr1000. ive wired the lights to be permanantly on (because i had to ditch the switchgear), all i need now is a bracket to hold the RHS mirror (lost it when i ditched the switchgear)...and then im all good, and will finally have a fully working, if slightly tatty scooter.

i had to go pick up a throttle cable i had made by a place 30 miles away, head down on the A46 and drafting cars i was hitting 66mph on the clocks and for most of it i was, albeit slowly, overtaking a good number of cars :D

turbovetto likes this.
  18. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Get a Doppler crank and a Stage 6 Sport pro with a Yasuni C16 exhaust and you will urinate on everything but without the high end hassle !

19. banner001

banner001 Member

as its christmas i have taken you up on this :D

ordered is a doppler endurance 12mm crank and a stage6 sport pro MKII barrel with 12mm pin. cant afford the exhaust just yet as im currently in the process of buying a house, but ill gather the parts and assemble them in the spring.

should be a good laugh once its built :D

20. banner001

banner001 Member

The bike decided to lunch one of its main bearings yesterday...who the hell installs a bearing with a plastic ball bearing cage??

Pics to follow. There was a fair bit of grease buildup around the oil pump gearing, but I doubt that was the problem as oil was in the oil feed tube. Either way it's all going to get cleaned to within an inch of its life ready for a rebuild and paint over the next month.