Ludix one. Gurtner PY-12 carb

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Mark White, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Mark White

Mark White New Member

Hi all,

My Ludix one has been running fine and is to some extent... Apart from the carb keeps leaking from the float chamber overflow pipe.
    The float itself looks okay, so what can cause this issue???

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated

Mark

2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    sounds like you need to give the carb a good clean and check the little shut off needle on the float and seat that it sits in.try not to bend the arm the pin sits in cos you'll sod the float height up and get dodgy running.once you've done it,check it works by tipping the carb upside down and blow though the petrol pipe..
    if you cant blow through it,its working.if it still leaks after doing that,you have to reset the float hight.

3. Mark White

Mark White New Member

Thanks hairyjim. That sorted the leak, but now it won't tick over without cutting out.
    The idle screw seems to make no change either.

4. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    oh dear.will it tick over with your hand holding throttle steady.I'm assuming it ticked over before you stripped it.

5. Mark White

Mark White New Member

Yeah, it was ticking over before and ran perfectly. It runs and revs now, but won't idle on its own. It will with a slight twist on the throttle.
    Could the auto choke be broken maybe?

6. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Try adjusting the idle screw in a bit (the one with a spring on it).

7. Mark White

Mark White New Member

It's probably about 1.5 turns out from being fully in.
    I have screwed it in further with no changes, I then put it back
    To where it was, then continued to unscrew a little more. Still cuts out instead if holding its idle.

Odd!

8. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I think you might be adjusting the wrong screw.turn the one your turning in till it stops then out 1.5 turns,then turn the other one in until it hold a tick over .you may have to do a bit of fiddling after you get it stable but merlin can guide you though as he's had a lot more gurtner carb experience than me.

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Hairyjim is on about the screw that doesn't have a spring on it. That's the idle mixture screw and this is the one that should be tightened in (gently) then turned out 1.5 turns. Then you adjust the fast idle screw (the one with the spring) until you get an smooth idle speed (should be about 1500rpm).

Has that explained things any better?

10. Mark White

Mark White New Member

There is only one screw with a mormal screw head, and one that you adjust with a pen or special tool

Attached Files:

11. Mark White

Mark White New Member

The slow idle screw is approx 1.5 turns out

12. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    The screw that needs the special tool needs to be 1.5 turns out, that's the idle mixture screw. A small flat-bladed jeweller's screwdriver, the sharp tip of a narrow knife or the cap of a Bic Biro should be able to adjust the special screw.

The other screw with the spring adjusts the idle speed, not the mixture.

13. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    looks like your gonna have to adjust it from the cable adjuster.should have one at bars or one at the carb end.

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    You can't adjust the idle mixture with the cables, Jim. You might be able to adjust the idle speed, but the mixture needs the special screw adjusting.

@ Mark White

Have you checked that the choke operates properly, that the choke chamber is clean and that the jet is clear? Rough idling can sometimes be down to crud in the choke chamber.

15. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    aaarr.think I got it now merlin mate..so if his mixture needle is right and his choke is naff...hes only ganna have a good steady idle after his lumps warmed up and he can adjust the ide screw with out having his rev cut.but his revs are gonna be high if he does that and then fixes his choke..im assuming..so he can check the naff choke theory that way.yer? Readjust after fixing the choke..???

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Yeah, that's what I'd do, as the idle mixture should be factory set and shouldn't drift, unless the choke plays up or the air filter gets modified or changed for a high flow one. Check and sort the choke out then move on to see if the mixture needs adjusting. I'm playing a hunch that the choke is the issue.

17. Mark White

Mark White New Member

Thanks guys.
    I'm working away for the weekend so will check that out as soon as I can.
    Watch this space

18. hairyjim

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    every ped you break, every rev you take... we,ll be watching you.

Merlin likes this.