Looking to get a geared 125cc bike.

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by MrXT, Feb 21, 2015.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Currently drive a scooter but wanting to upgrade to a gear bike. Iv been looking at lexmoto zsx and lexmoto xtrs due to their cheaper costs and iv read good reviews about the zsx and its longevity and quality compared to most Chinese bikes but I also want one that has a center stand for secure parking on a steep hill that I live on. During this winter we have had some really strong winds so a sidestand just would NEVER cut it and would have surely been blown over. The winds ripped off my old bike cover and tore the straps off.

What would you recommend and does anyone have experience with the lexmoto zsx? It looks like a great bike but looks are decieving when it comes to Chinese bikes.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

With chinese bikes, although they are slowly catching up on quality, the key to them is staying on top of the maintenance. 6 monthly oil and filter changes are the best you can do for any bike really, but a little more necessary for the chinese brands.
    Lexmoto are not a bad brand, growing in strength, they have just taken over Pulse motorcycles, so from now on what was the Pulse Adrenaline will now be known as the Lexmoto donotlink.
    Some of the parts that you'd expect to be cheap can be stupidly expensive, and some of the parts that you'd expect to be expensive are stupidly cheap.

3. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    the zsx seems to be the better of the two, the xtrs has known issues with wiring and forks I believe.
    ive ridden the zsx and it is a nice ride if im honest, I think it looks better than the xtrs too..
    as stevep said, maintenance is key to keeping them on the road.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

im a little confuesd about these china bikes, i thought pulse and lexmoto where always the same company, just rebadge for differnt suppliers? (if you go onto alibaba you know what i mean) i thought they all come from the same factory? like the pit bikes, stomp and WPB are the same, just rebadged to confuse the buyers a little bit!

5. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    pulse and lexmoto were two of the biggest Chinese bike manufacturers, there was a bit of a difference in quality but being china bikes they are two brands being made in the better factorys, but both the better brands of Chinese bikes.
    but I guess lexmoto saw pulse were too much competition for them and though fuck it lets take them over and get rid of the competition (as the Chinese do).

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

so they are differnt companies? i thought that lexmoto and pulse where just the brand name and that they where made in the same factory. you know, like boation and peugeot.... there must be fucking loads of bike factories in china!

7. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    were different companies, now theres been a takeover im assuming that manufacturing has or will move into the one factory to save money. theres shit loads of bike factorys over there, the quality of your bike just depends which factory it comes from.

8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I found some reviews that say the zsx has shit tyres and people slip easily on them when wet riding. How much do you think some good new tyres would cost me?

9. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    no theyre just shit riders.
    spicy110 swears that you don't need to change tyres on Chinese bikes, hes still riding on standard tyres. you have to adjust your riding to conditions not the tyres to the conditions. but if your insisting on changing the tyres budget for around £150ish to £300ish depending on how good a tyre you really want but id recommend adjusting your riding not changing the tyre. ive ridden in all sorts of weather on shitty Chinese tyres. did fine.

10. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

This guy handled it well, doesn't look like he leaned into it too hard. start watching at about 2:35, soon as i saw the ground i knew this was it.

11. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    firstly lets start with he needs to learn what clutch control and engine braking are. hes clearly a new rider and it really shows but that minor slip up had nothing to do with the tyres, more rider error and shit road surface than anything. that sort of stuff will happen regardless of the tyres you run. you run what tyres you like but theres nothing wrong with the tyres that come standard and I personally think its a waste of money changing them straight away, get your use from them and learn to ride on cheap slippy tyres before going to a "grippy" tyre set. youll learn lots about riding and thank yourself for it when you know how to keep the bike upright when you slide on your "good" tyres.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

my 2 pennies worth: i ride all year round, on different bikes, i work as a motorcycle mechanic for a main dealer in norway, our roads are a little shall we say "rougher" than the uk roads. we dont have any kind of MOT here so i have ridden bikes with no tread. number of times ive fallen off: 1. and that was only because like scootz says, i wasnt riding to the tyres, it was actually on my scooter which is fitted with soft compound studded winter tyres, i leant too hard and just slid both tyres out. but yeah back to tyres in general. you CAN ride on ice on summer tyres, i actually rode an SV650 in a foot of snow 2 days before i did my motorcycle test (i came to the uk to do my test, its crazy expensive over here!) but yeah, tyres work if you ALLOW them to. i have some off road tyres fitted to my sports bike, havent slipped off that one, because i know how to feed the bike into a corner

scootzmadness likes this.
  13. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Also found a lexmoto zsf, wonder what the differences is between the zxs and zsf i cant see any videos of anyone whos bought the zsf. They look similer but the zsf is slightly smaller but the price difference is around £500 so im wondering if the engine ect is all the same hmm and it has a center stand!!!!

I think the zsf is a copy of the yamaha ybr and the zxs looks more like the honda cbr.

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

engines look the same, you pay extra for the "mean styling" or whatever

15. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    ok, i ride a honda msx. with cheap 'plastic' tyres on.
    everybody willt ell you you have to swap tyres asap. going as far as people paying to have them swapped at the dealer before they take delivery.

this is shit. i have ridden all through winter in snow (got abit hairy), ice, rain, fresh painted markings. never had a scary moment. it doesnt take much to just back off and keep it abit more up right.

determined to get rid of my chicken strips on them though once the weather warms up abit

scootzmadness and scubabiker like this.
  16. Nathanael

Nathanael Active Member

Had a ybr125 with its chinese specials fitted as standard. Heard lots of complaints about them. Reality was they were good enough to consistantly scrape the pegs through corners in the dry and safe in the wet. Unless you ride like a tool in the wet

scootzmadness likes this.
  17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

my winter tyres are some chinese ones, i can scrape the pegs on them!

18. supraking

supraking Well-Known Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX125
    i think ill be too chicken shit to scrape the pegs, but really cannot wait for the good weather

scubabiker likes this.
  19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

scraping the pegs on my scoot is easy though, i can do it in my driveway! i can almost on my BMW and i have scraped the side boxes a few times too

supraking likes this.