Looking for images of Kawasaki 80's / 90's scooter

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by janegilr, May 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. janegilr

janegilr New Member

Maybe not the most usual thread.

I'm looking for images of a particular Kawasaki scooter produced probably in the 80's possibly late 90's. I understand that it'd been easier if I'd known the exact make, but my age was still in single figures when I last saw one of these so please bear with me. The thing I've managed to find that's the most similar is the Kawasaki M5, but that one is too small and old. The scooter I'm looking for is a bit like a Vespa in styling, with a flat skin seat and curved front part, but without the oversized wind shield (in fact I don't think there was a windshield at all.) There was a front-mounted basket for goods, at least on those I saw. It was not a speed monster, mostly favoured by retirees as I can recall. I can not recall seeing it in any other colours than white and read.

(So how come I'm looking for these pictures you say? Well the little boy from rural Scandinavia somehow ended up a consultant in pediatrics and next week I'm giving a lecture on Kawasaki syndrome - that's an inflammatory disease in children. And the thing that manages to keep knowledge of that disease fresh to me is the memory of those small scooters I saw the village retirees whizz about on. So I'm hoping to put that anecdote into the lecture so that the students maybe will recall the story and maybe even the symptoms one day.)

Very grateful for any suggestions and help.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Firstly, are you sure it was a Kawasaki?
    They didn't make many small scooter type bikes in the early days, and certainly none with a basket on the front, however people could have retro fitted them i suppose.
    Here's a link to the list of bikes Kawasaki have produced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kawasaki_motorcycles

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Broaden your search parameters,look at the format your using ATM - bouncing it off as many as possible can get you more perspective..
    Only other idea...don't just concentrate on one country/thinking being sometimes sales are targeted.;).

4. janegilr

janegilr New Member

Quite sure that the scooter / moped in question was at least branded a Kawasaki...much of the memory is the unbridled infantile fun in shouting "ka - wa - saki" (which in the local dialect roughly translates to "what's the matter") after said retirees. As mention, it was at single figures age. Of course it could have been a re-branded make of some kind. Anyways, an acquaintance better traveled in the world of dual wheel travel have suggested the Kawasaki Max, and that is a pretty good shout.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Have you thought of tracing motor vehicle records held in that country
    during a certain time (leave a bit of tail end either side/could have been around for years).
    , particularly concentrating on regional records.?.;).

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The Kawasaki Max is more the Honda Cub or C50/C70/C90 style, hardly Vespa styled as you first mentioned.
    I've never seen one with a basket on the front and don't think they even produced an aftermarket fitment for them.
    However, going along the lines of small scooters with baskets on the front.....The Honda Melody comes immediately to mind.

[​IMG]