*LOOK* CDI / COIL REMAPPING / TUNING? *NEW TUNING METHOD*

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by co77l3y, Jan 28, 2011.

1. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50
    Hello peeps i have recently stumbled upon a weird and crazy theory i came across a conversation with a ecu chipper and remapping tuning bloke just general conversation has his own dyno etc, and we was chatting about bikes and i remembered seeing a post in a forum about piaggios having some sort of chip / rev limiter on cdi or coil or what ever and this chip / electronic thing could be played about with some one with knowledge about chipping and remapping does any one know if this is true and your bike can be tuned by doing this? by getting a map programmed by a mapping programmer? Would like to know because the guy said he would be more than interested to try it out on my gilera dna 50 and experiment with it.

Please take the time to read this and tell me if this is true, or if i can buy a chip for my moped or if this thing can be done would like to see the out come of this :)

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    Re: *LOOK* CDI / COIL REMAPPING / TUNING? *NEW TUNING METH

This is done of fuel injected vehicles, remapping the ecu for the desired fuelling is a must on injected stuff, just as you would re-jet a carburettor to suit the set up of the bike/car.

For bigger bikes you can buy a kit called a power commander made by Dynojet which just plugs in-line with the injectors , this allows you (not having to pay someone) to remap and tune the injection system to pretty much a tee , this is mainly done when fitting after market exhaust systems and air filters (again just as you would on the carb of your scooter.

3. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50

Thanks for that mike, i know its done by fuel intected etc but im curious to see if there's anything to be mapped / tuned electronically in the cdi? on my bike? "gilera dna 50" and i can get it done for penny's family member owns own tuning shop with dyno remapping equipment has been doing it for nearly 8 years, so anything i can get done to my moped then? i wasn't really sure about it as its LC and its a scooter :p but was worth a shot at it because i don't want to resort to family fall outs over 70 kitting it and aftermarket exhausts, because im 16 and my family don't want me to have void insurance if anything happend or police etc but its fine to be derestircted they say, and it is derestricted, so is there anything i can do to it to make it that little bit faster or? i have got a polini variator and replacement stock polini blue sponge

4. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit

Nothing you can do to your bike mate.

5. co77l3y

co77l3y Member

Rides:
    Gilera DNA 50

argh thats a bummer :(

6. lshigham

lshigham Member

The CDI's are rev limited, but it's stupidly high at 11-1500RPM.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster

the cdi has an ignition map, aftermarket cdi's have different ignition maps. a map is basicly your static ignition point with a plus or minus figure for whatever rpm (usually go's up in 100rpm incriments)

basicly, your talking to car tunners about tunning scooters, why bother?

your cdi does fine. putting an aftermarket cdi on will give you more static advance (plug fires earlier) meaning you can run the idle richer and burn off the extra fuel thus giving more power/responce right from the start.. then as your engine picks up rpm your engine will naturally retard off the ignition (as in, make the plug fire a little later the faster it go's) there is a limit to how much advance or retardation you can throw at an engine, usually because more advance and more fuel being burnt doesent only produce power, it produces heat and DRINKS fuel.

this is the basics of aftermarket cdi's and quite frankly you have no real need to know. you can get programable cdi's, ive used them a few times now. only any good if you know what your doing, even then its only high end engines that will ever gain anything from them. its 500 quid just for a usb programable cdi.. you will buy one and end up puutting the same map as a 30 quid off the shelf aftermarket cdi has. or entrust a car tunner to do it wich will result in an explosion. 4t engines work totally different, they need more advance the faster the engine spins. a car tunner would make a mess of a scoot in a few seconds trying to "chip" one.

there ae no secrets or new idea's your gonna stumble across so stick with what people already do. it works, we all do it, why waste professionals time talking nonsence about superchipping a scooter when it has a carb and pre mapped ignition lol. you can BUY cdi's with many different maps straight off the shelf. there is NO way of getting power wihtout a piep and kit... live with this fact. there is nothing your gonna magically think of that will double your bikes speed wihtout actually having a decent kit/pipe and bigger carb on the thing. :)

8. Neil P

Neil P Member

Do these Gilera CDI's also drive the speedo. In particular a 2010 Runner ST125

I have not looked at the bike I have , and I am now at work killing time, so doing some bike related 'research'

I ask this because of two reasons..

1), The Daytonna Twin Tech TC88A CDI ignition unit on my Harley drives the speedo, and it can be calibrated to give correct speed after gearing changes , tyre size changes, to suit differing bikes.

2), The digital clock readout on the factory standard Gilera seems to be over reading by about 20%

These two thoughts got me wondering if a similar CDI was available in the scooter world, and if so what is it ? I saw mention of a £500 CDI unit earlier in this thread. Can that drive the speedo ?

9. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    digital dash boards , just convert a signal pulse to a readable rpm/speed. its usually done via magnets passing a sensor, the more magnets the finer the speedo reading is, most scoots run a two/three magnet system and its normaly hidden away in the speedo section on the front wheel.

£500 quid CDI systems are tuner able via usb. a little like a cars ECU remapping , but like minor confusion says a car remapper will fuck a scooter engine fairly quick unless they have knowledge of remapping small motors like we run. the CDI controls the ignition timing at various rpms higher the rpm the more retarding/advancing the cdi does, it sends a timed pulse to the coil telling it to fire. You CAN read the pulse sent from the cdi to the coil and use that to get an RPM readout , but it will not allow you to read road speed.

road speed is down to the dashboard be it mechanical or digital sensoring. mechanical wise its a cable that spins around thats converted into the speedo needle moving when your traveling, digital wise usually its magents passing a sensor, the dashboard reads those pulses and converts them to a User readble output ie speed.

10. Neil P

Neil P Member

Damn, was hoping rather liek th system on the Harley and the TC88A that the ECU/CDi sent out a speed signal as weel as the igniution pulse

So this Gilera of mine is the magnetic system, creating pulses, I am home now and checked... so those pulses ....ummmm. guessing some one skilled in electonic design could knock up a small circuit to read the frequency of those pulses and send out a modified frequency, in the same way you can get little gearboxes to correct mechnical speedos in cars. http://www.speedycables.com/calibration.html

I'll just send them an e-mail and see if they now create an electronic version...