Longjia Grido de-restriction conundrum

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Oddball Matt, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Hey guys in a bit of a pickle here, I'm currently working on a Grido that sas sold as a 2010 year but upon closer examination it might actually be a 2009 as it looks a little different from the pics I can find in the net. Anywyay I need to get this thing de-restricted because whenever it hits downhill and the rev limiter comes on it starts to shake and sputter like crazy as if it's dropping out every other spark or sth. Youtube says to derestrict one of these all you need is to unplug the bullet connector beside the battery and that's that, well no such connector here. I tried looking up unrestricted CDI boxes but every one I can find has two different plugs with six wires in total, guess what this one has one square-ish connector with six pins of which the four in the corners are wired. Anyone happen to know how to de-restrict it, or know of a place where I can order a new CDI?! If it's of any help the rear quarter panels say Rally USA.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Got a pic of the cdi?

3. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

[​IMG]

Quite obviously this is not my picture but my CDI is identical to this one, problem is all the generic CDIs I`ve found so far that look like this are for four stroke and mine is two stroke. In case it is of any significance there is AIX 50 stamped at the end of the box.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Speedfight has that cdi.
    Fun fact if you use a 4 stroke one on a 2 stroke it will run in reverse.

5. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    THere should be pink wire just cut it and you are good to go.

6. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Awesome info thank you guys this has saved me a whole heap of both money and trouble! Damned me for not taking a picture of the wires but don't remember seeing a pink one there, oh well a speedfight cdi seems to cost 28€ locally so might as well grab one and see if it does the thing, always good to have a fallback if sth goes tits up.

7. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Im pretty sure that speedfight cdi no way in hell its gonna work your scooter, but try whatever u want. You can easy check if it has limited put it on stand and rev it they have rev limit to 8000 if it goes above that u dont have limiter, probably cdi needs to be replaced, you can find cheap chinese cdi`s for these 2T. Probably like 10$ max, try finding one from Baotian Falcon 50R you have those in the UK the cdi from the baotian doesnt have any limiters and has great pre ignition curve.

8. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Gonna pay a visit to a store called "moped sport" in Helsinki tomorrow (yea I'm in Finland) and have a chin wag with them about it. Me myself being used to fiddling with fuel mappings and such of big injected bikes, in fact currently have a Benelli Tornado on the table myself, taking a cdi of a completely different moped and expecting it to work sounds totally absurd but on the other hand it is just a stupid spark box so it might well work. It's been a pain in the nads to find any info about this thing as the pre-2010 model seems so obscure I wouldn't be at all sure such a scooter even exists if the bugger wouldn't be taking up space in me own shed!

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Greetings from norge.
    I dabble in big bikes, cars and small bikes.
    You would be surprised how often parts fit right over.
    I'm like 99% certain the limiter is in the cdi.
    You can check the transmission cover for a limiter wire though just to be sure, it's a little hall effect sensor that cuts the spark over 45kmh.
    Fair to say I know my way round this sort of stuff.
    Damjam is building an awesome project, go check out his thread on it.

10. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Yes i forgot to say the the sensor wire u can find it in the CVT cover. Also i know speedfight cdi wont fit but you can try it yourself and see :)

11. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Could you be more spesific on WHY the speedfight cdi won't fit? The connector seems the same but don't know if wiring is, space wise there's all the space I ever need.

12. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Dude its not the CONNECTOR its different pre ignition curve etc what are u on about, connector is the thing that matters the least you can litterally find which wire is which and connect it.

13. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Now we're getting somewhere, you spesifically said it won't FIT so I kinda hung onto that. I'l have a chat with the moped store guys about this tomorrow and see what they have to offer, if they can't provide, ebay.

14. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Some ebay cdi or find original from Baotian Falcon 50R, dont even bother asking them ;)

Edit: Also forgot to mentiion CDI from JOG 3KJ if u can find its even better.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  15. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I used a generic Chinese cdi on a speedfight and it ran great, bonus was it had no rev limit.
    Like I said over, I first used a 4t one (I have a few Hondas) which has the wrong curve and it ran backwards.

16. Oddball Matt

Oddball Matt New Member

Small update: the bike does START with the Peugeot cdi but will not rev, there is a pink wire (with a white stripe) I cut it and the bike won't start at all. Off to ebay.

17. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Give CMPO a ring or an email, they normally have the info for the de-restricted cdi's for most of the chinese models

18. Damjan

Damjan Active Member

Rides:
    Baotian Falcon 50R
    Find from ebay or get one from jog or baotian there must be replacement parts store somewhere in your country that sells parts for the Baotian Falcon 50R.

Also the speedfight has totally whole electricity system no way in hell it would have worked i told you, when i know something i tell it when im not sure i dont.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

There is, it's called Chinese Motorcycle Spares Online......CMPO

20. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Do you have thansen in Finland?
    They do some stuff for quite a range of bikes.
    Or speedoptions. Do they have a Finnish site?