long distance

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by twodogs, Jun 7, 2017.

1. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    im looking to buy myself a scooter may be new or second hand , but it must be light enough to pick up if I drop it so no1-000 cc jobbys it needs to maintain 60 . it will have 200 miles to cover in one hit so good mpg is a must
    a lot of the smaller scooters have small tanks , so they are out I want to do the journey in one go no stopping well not for petrol
    and the last thing is it must have a comfy seat
    comfort is a must so I need a screen
    what do you recomend

2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

What's your budget

3. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    now that's a thing ive not given a lot of thought to, the scooter first then the cost rather than the cost first
    I would not say theres no limit but I will pay wot ever it is for the right scooter
    was looking at 300 cc area rather than 650 I have a nexus 250 but its not at all comfy over 40 miles
    my 125 is nice but cant keep up with motor way traffic

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Any of the Burgmans starting at 400 should be ok as even the old 400 is rated at 97mph top speed so motorways are no problem.
    Of course for lightness probably something like the Beverly 350 or the Vespa 300's ?
    Some models of the Piaggio X9 500 had electric stands as an option.
    For ultimate comfort the Piaggio MP3 is brilliant and you also have the locking facility so it stays upright which helps with moving around but they are a tad expensive.
    I used to have the 250 version and it would hold 70 mph but nothing much above that so a larger version would be perfect.

Not sure if you'll get one that will do 200 mls as the tanks are never that big.
    Usually you're glad to get off after 100mls lol especially when you are older.
    For comfort I find that a large bag or luggage behind me on the seat acts as a backrest and helps a lot on a distance and you can move your legs around on a superscooter..
    Most scooters can be fitted with larger aftermarket screens for comfort/protection.
    I currently have an old Honda CN250 ( for sale)which doesn't quite reach 70 and an early 400 burgman and that flies lol

Comfort varies from person to person so I would advise checking out the reviews and also try one for size once you narrow down your search.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  5. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    there are a few dealers near me so can have a look but its the old problem how will my arse feel after 100 miles

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Problem with scooters is that they force you to ride upright or even slightly leaning back whereas a bike lets you lean in to the wind.
    Plenty of larger scooters with comfy seats but I think it's more the riding position that doesn't help.
    Most smaller scooters are made for commuting so comfort doesn't really come in to it.
    Do some research on mpg/range and see what is around locally.
    If there is a Piaggio dealer try the MP3 or any of their larger scooters even if you are not intending to buy.
    Some modern models have an adjustable riders backrest built in (not the padded bum stop)

7. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    Burgman 400 - as mentioned above, do decent speeds, reliable and if looked after will last. I have the 650 version currently and will be riding it to Copenhagen from Amsterdam in a few weeks time.

Honda Forza 300 - Reliable, Mine used to do OK speeds and would cruise at 70mph all day. The seat isn't the best but it's comfortable enough for 100 miles, you'll want to stop for a quick coffee and a leg stretch after that long anyway as well as fuel top up.

Yamaha Xmax 300 - same as the forza really, Do OK speeds and cruise at 70mph with ease. The seat is good for long jaunts but fuel tank only holds enough for 140ish miles at a time.

MP3 - Not ridden one myself yet but heard nothing but good things about them.

If you want to do serious miles regularly im afraid youll need something with a bigger engine that is built to do just that.

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you may laugh but ...... Honda C90 well known for being a long distance runner, yes its a bit slower and you need to do frequent stops but those things have done superlong distances ie lands end to john o groats

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  9. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

He's already said he needs it to hold 60mph and mentioned motorways so anything small doesn't fit the bill and a Honda 90 would not be allowed on a motorway.

10. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    thanks for your input guys, one of the problems with motorways and a small tank is planning your fuel stops ok if your familiar with the route ,but going blind is a worry , I have clacket lane on m25 then m11 be fore my next refuel im 50 miles from clacket lane so getting a bit panicy by the time I hit the m11

11. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you should see what they do to C90's to make them last longer, its not uncommon to find bike tanks strapped to the center console on honda cubs and routed to the carb via Y hookup . that extends the 2.5l tank upto and on past 5-7l , its one of the little tricks done to maximize the little cubs mile range. also these days the Cubs are getting fitted with lifan 125cc manual engines and will happly cruise at 60-65mph all day long give or take a few cooling down breaks .

12. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

What is your total distance or start and finish point ?

13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

The Burgman 400 has a capacity of 13 lts so you should get app 150 mls+ out of it.
    I should think other scooters would be much the same?
    What is your start/finish points or towns?
    You can get 2lt fuel cans so you could carry an emergency supply but I think you should easily get up to Birchanger services on the M11.
    Using a phone or satnav would tell you where other filling stations are near some junctions so it wouldn't take much to pull off and find one if you were desperate or do some planning before you set off.
    Have a look at these links.
    http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10935
    The fuel container is made in Germany so fully legal to carry
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Can-...040603?hash=item3ad3e40a5b:g:S9IAAOSw2xRYQF4w

14. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    168 miles door to door if I don't get lost, its a bugger when you miss your turn off adds miles to your journey,
    my nexus does 100 mpg at a steady 50 75 at 60 and50 at70 but its so uncomfortable think I will look at petrol stations just off the m25 north of Dartford tunnel
    been thinking may be I can change the seat on my nexus any ideas 076.JPG

15. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Rather than alter the seat you can get seat pads. Some are Gel and some air. Do an ebay search.
    It sometimes pays just to have a break anyway. My triumph Bonneville SE will only do just over 100mls to the tank so it's not just scooters lol

16. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

[​IMG]

Tesco Thurrock
    description

Supermarket Fuel Stations selling Petrol and Deisel near M25 Junction 30
    Tesco
    Cygnet View, Lakeside Estate, West Thurrock, Essex RM20 1TX

Find a Tesco Near You (http://www.tesco.com/storeLocator/)

17. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    Doubt if there are many maxi scooters which shall return 200 miles to a tank of fuel - have you considered a Honda integra 750 which consistently returns over 80 mpg - it has duel clutch transmission and will cruise at motorway speeds all day long

18. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

You could try a tail pack on the rear seat and that may help alleviate the discomfort as it would act as a back rest and take the weight off your arms and ease your back?

19. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    my mate has got one will try and get a test ride, at what speed were you doing to get that mpg

20. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    looks like my mates one thing I don't like a bout scooters is the seat they all seem to all have that double level so you are limited as to how far you can move back on the seat