Lights will not turn off.. please help

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by mejiggery, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mejiggery

mejiggery New Member

Any help or advice would be greatly aprehciated.
    I have a lexmoto gladiator 125
    the headlights are on constantly even when i turn ignition off and take the key out!
    im fairly sure the ignition itself is working ok as the fuel gauge turns off when i remove the key and when I unplug the ignition wire block the lights still stay on.
    I was told at one point there was a light diode that will have blow that was causing the problem ( the bike is totally origional no leds or anything like that) but from what i can see or find on internet the gladiator doesnt have one.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    remove the negative from the bikes battery this will stop it draining the thing dry of juice.
    could be the headlamp relay , lamp switch .

im not to upto date on bikes that are constant on headlight setup , and lexmoto do not have any schematic up to chase the fault via wiring setup.

3. mejiggery

mejiggery New Member

Thank you ... I have been disconnecting the battery. I did also replace the light switch. I shall try see if i can locate a relay for it

4. mejiggery

mejiggery New Member

i dont seem to be able to find a replay for the headlights

5. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    with battery connected.

start up bike then turn it off, if you have a kickstarter can you then put bike onto its centerstand and kickstart it . DOES bike start up even with ignition switched to Off. if this is the case the ignition is faulty. if no kickstart does the bike turn over on starter with the key in off setting/removed

if bike is a dc start it will start up even when key is off because the ignition is not working correct.

with bike running disconnect the negative battery wire , lights should turn off but bike will keep running ( its shows we are working with an AC power to everything)

its possible the ignition is faulted, BUT it could also be a loose wire in the stator shorting, or it could be a short in the lighting wire loom. its very hard to tell, normally lights dont work but yours is the other way round they wont turn off even with ignition barrel in the off position , thats leading me to a faulty ignition /ignition connetctors and the bike is in a constant hot mode

( hot mode means an electrical fault that is causing the bike to not sut of electrical power so its always on whatever, unless battery is removed.)

6. mejiggery

mejiggery New Member

thank you for your time.. i shall try as you mention above tomorrow when i can see.
    If the ignition was the problem when i disconnected the wires that lead from the back of the ignition barrel, would this not make the lights tuen off also? as in my mind it would be the same as it being in off position.. as im sure youve guessed im no electrician.. just asking the question.
    many thanks

7. mejiggery

mejiggery New Member

i am fairly sure its an AC power not DC

8. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    yes if the barrel was faulty it would.

theres a crossover somewhere or some electrical faulty thats causing this, its hard to say without the wiring schematic so we can see where lights are coming from and going to.

may also want to check all grounds inc the engine frame grounds from the wiring loom , otherwise it really needs to go into a lexmoto dealer to find the problem.

9. David Hickey

David Hickey New Member

Did you ever figure out the problem??