Lexmoto Scout 50 - recurring not starting issue

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Stevie35, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Stevie35

Stevie35 New Member

Hi all,

I have a recurring problem with my Lexmoto Scout 50 (done about 1,100km). I know it’s bargain basement in terms of price and you get what you pay for and all that but I was after some knowledgeable advice if possible.

The general gist of what happens over a few weeks is:

- Electric starter button starts to need more encouragement to start the bike and may only work after 2nd or 3rd time of trying

- It sounds like it will cut out at traffic lights

- Eventually the starter button doesn’t work at all but kick starting it does

- Kick starting also starts struggle and takes 3 or 4 goes

- After a week or two it is completely dead, the petrol gauge doesn’t even move when you turn the key in the ignition

Now, I have taken it to local garages 5 times for the same issue and they have replaced fuses, charged battery, replaced battery and also replaced the new battery but every time, over the course of maybe 3-4 weeks it gets worse and worse until it is dead.

Has anyone had similar issues or have any advice? I do wonder if the scooter has the car equivalent of an alternator and maybe that isn’t charging the battery as it should do? I do only use the scooter to go to and from the train station (about 1.2 miles each way) but this has only become an issue in the last 3-4 months and I have owned it for 18 months or so.

I hate arguing with garages etc but I do object to repeatedly paying to fix the same issue.

Cheers

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Sounds like the reg rec isnt working. Or stator, but yeah either way its a charging issue.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That distance would allow the battery to recover from it's short discharging problem, which is probably why it lasts so long between dying.
    First off, get the battery fully charged. A couple of hours should be enough as they are only small batteries.
    Test the voltage at the battery when the bike is not running, should be about 12.6 volts fully charged.
    Start the bike, rev it over 2000 rpm, hold it there and check the voltage across the battery terminals.
    Should read about 13.6 volts.
    Any higher than that could indicate a reg/rec problem, any lower could indicate a stator (charging) problem.
    Does it have an aftermarket alarm on it at all?
    Or any other kind of aftermarket device?

4. Stevie35

Stevie35 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the response. That's good to know - unfortunately I don't have the equipment to charge the battery or have access to it. I was told there is a bit of work you can have done to be able to charge the battery at home but that requires the garage to create an access to it...

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Is it not just under a little cover?

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

How is fitting an optimate to the battery classed as a bit of work needs doing????
    Sounds a bit suspect to me that place..................