LC carb, which way do the water pipes go

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Buzz, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Gilera dna50 - Stupidly I forgot to make note of which nipples on my carb the water pipes fit to. I have two nipples, two pipes, does it matter which way round they go?
    One pipe is connected to a splitter where a large pipe joins the water impeller by the stator, the second pipe comes from somewhere else?!! Disappears into the main body.. I can't find a pdf anywhere that helps..
    I can't see why it would matter but it might so I thought I'd check here first.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I dont beleive it matters at all. Like asking which way round a hose goes...

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I presume that its simply a case of water flows into the carb body via one nipple and out through the other but i wasnt sure if it mattered which direction the flow goes. Does anyone know why the water needs to flow through the carb? Surely the carb doesnt need to be cooled and it cant act as a pump?

steve82 likes this.
  4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    water heated carbs, its not cooling the carb its using the heat from the water to keep the carb warm and prevent carb icing ;) its a more modern way than using a carb heater element .

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Every day is a schoolday !! Thanks

6. steve82

steve82 Nrg power

Rides:
    Piaggio nrg power dd
    Could you bypass this so it has cold air and not warm so you get better performance? I understand for winter I good idea but what's about summer?

7. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I cant see it warming up the airflow or mix, probably just warms the outer body of the carb to remove the standing ice if extremely cold.
    May improve performance if i bypass it but im not sure if it would be noticeable.

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    it warms the carb body.

icing happens when the fuel/air mix collides with the cold surfaces of the carb body, it then ices up and to much icing then breaks off and enters the motor / manifold , at the same time it can jam open reeds not allowing them to snap shut, can chill them to a point they fracture and break then enter the motor and cause a right headache.

highly unlikely to improve preformance if bypassed.

9. steve82

steve82 Nrg power

Rides:
    Piaggio nrg power dd
    Make sense

10. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Thanks, sounds like i need to design a carburettor jacket like a micro version of the one my house water tank has, i could make millions?!

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if you dont live in a cold country, there is no need to do this/have this fitted. can just remove one pipe and bypass with the other.