Lambretta Gear Box Oil

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MightyGem, Nov 18, 2020.

1. MightyGem

MightyGem New Member

Hi, guys. I would like some views/opinions on the following.

My Series 2 is due a gearbox oil change. There was an article in October's Scootering mag about gearbox oil and what it should look like. I drained a sample from mine and it's pretty black, which it's always been every time I've changed it. Is this normal?

Scootering says that the colour should be pretty much the same as when it went in. That seems to make sense as I can't really see how it could get dirty. Scootering says that if it's black it indicates a problem of some sort of wear in the gear box.

Spoken to a local scooter guy and he says it's normal for when it's due changing. He also says that I can give the gear box a good clean out by putting half a cup of fuel in(with the oil), idling the scoot for 30 mins, then draining after it has cooled down. Does that sound ok?

Thanks

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Hi, I worked on Lambrettas and have never heard of using petrol to clean it out ! We always removed side cover to check chain tension on servicing and used brake cleaner or the like to clear out oil behind gears. If the crank seal is worn it will dirty the oil but not draw it into engine like a Vespa does. If you were to use petrol why run it ? just fill case up and drain off, I dought running it would make any difference. Rock st 90 is good oil to use !

3. MightyGem

MightyGem New Member

Thanks for that, MARSH. I take it removing the side cover will require a new gasket?

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Exhaust off and yes I always fitted a new gasket every time, best get a few in !

5. MightyGem

MightyGem New Member

Cheers.