L plates can you help? solved!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Sam phantom, May 11, 2017.

1. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

I past my car test in 2002 iv done my cbt and I have a 50cc scooter the dvla web sight says I don't need to use L plates but my cbt instructer asures me I most definitely do need them I'm confused?!?!? What do you guys do? Or do you know for sure if I do need them or not? Thanks

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

3. Sam phantom

I past from Feb 2001 so I must do a cbt which I have done it then says

You must complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course to activate your full moped licence after you pass your car driving test.

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

4. Sam phantom

The only difference between passing before or after Feb 2001 according to the dvla is the cbt needs to be done.thay are saying either way you don't need the L plates

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You passed your car test in 2002. Correct?

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you passed in 2002 you need to show L-plates

what i would do is call up DVLA and just enquire that your passing test in 2002 still allows you to hold a full moped licence and not need to show Learner plates, i gotta feeling your a year to late and and you did NOT hold a cbt when you passed the car test they talk about .

reading it careful it says " if you held a cbt when you passed the car test "

7. Sam phantom

Yep 2002 so I fall in to the catagory (from feb 2001)
    You past your driving test from Feb 2001

You must complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course to activate your full moped licence after you pass your car driving test.

If you have a valid CBT certificate when you pass the car driving test, it activates your full moped licence immediately.

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

8. Sam phantom

Ok I'll give them a call tommrow and let you know as I'm very confused lol thanks guys

9. Sam phantom

I have just read it back to my self lol and it says if you past from 2001 which I did! you must complete the cbt which I have done,to unlock your full moped licence !?! Are you as confused as me can't wait to call them now

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That's dvla for you, more contradictiions than the bible:D

11. Sam phantom

Haha iv herd that before,thanks for your advice anyway, I'll let you know what they say but to be honest I bet if I ring them several times and get a different operator each time I get conflicting answers

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

That's as guaranteed as a snail leaving slime

Sam phantom likes this.
  13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If you need em,make sure their proper sized as well.with correct borders - don't want some jobsworth copper on your case.;).

Sam phantom likes this.
  14. Sam phantom

Guys! I have spoken to the dvla this morning he's checked my details/licence and if you past your car test after 2001 and HAVE done or doing a cbt before you ride on the road you DO NOT need L plates and you can carry passingers also on a 50cc. By completeing your cbt it unlocks your full moped licence (moped being a 50cc). He asures me 150% those are the rules.hope this helps any one else who's not sure about the rules. If you past before 2001 the same rules apply Except you do not have to do a cbt so either way no L plates!!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  15. Sam phantom

I will say though! Check your own licence and the dvla for the correct and relevant entitlements as yours may differ from mine

Don't rush out and rip your L's off with out checking with the dvla as I have

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I wore my 'L' plates with pride for 4 years (pre CBT),cause i had something to look forward too -
    Getting rid of them.!.;).:):).

17. Sam phantom

It says you gain your full moped licence either by passing before 2001 or if after 2001 by doing the cbt! The L plates don't even come in to it the only time you would use L plates on a 50cc is if you only have a Lerner/previsional licence, still was good to check and make sure I was reading it correctly on the dvla website though. Feels good riding with out them you def get a bit more respect on the scoot :)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  18. Sam phantom

Nope you do not need them all confirmed twice! by the DVLA :)

19. Wizard2003

Wizard2003 Member

Hi, I am pretty mush in the same boat as you. Passed driving licence 2002 and just recently passed cbt, although I still have to display L Plates (phoned and confirmed by DVLA!).

Because my scooter is classed as a Scooter on the tax book! If its class is a Moped then you don't have to display them if classed as Scooter then you need to display then!!

20. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Someone has registered it wrongly. All mine say 2 wheel bicycle.
    Nothing about mopeds or scooters and I've owned a few and this applies from 50cc to the largest bike.
    There is no "moped " class on the v5. What makes it a moped is if a 16 yr old wants to ride it from a legal point of view it has to be restricted and he has to do a CBT and display L plates.
    It's still a 50cc 2 wheel bicycle regardless.
    Sell that one to someone older who can legally ride it without L plates and get one correctly registered then all you have to do is throw the L plates away.
    You could always ask DVLA if you can change it on the v5?

Last edited: May 19, 2017