Kymco Super 8 rattling sound

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Brie, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Brie

Brie New Member

Thanks again! Really appreciate your replies.

Do you know if there is a difference in the variators for the 2 and 4 stroke Kymco Super 8? I can buy Malossi variator in my local store but when looking around on Internet I see that Malossi also do specific ones for the 4 stroke motor.

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

They are different get one to suit your 4T motor.
    2t and4t motors rev at different rates so the variators are set up to suit but I don't expect a 2t would fit anyway.

3. Brie

Brie New Member

Got hold a a new variator today but noticed that this was only 87 mm in diameter against the original Kymco that is approx 91mm. Also the drive boss that came with the new variator is 38,5mm compared to the stock 38mm.

Will this cause a problem?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    the boss length shouldnt hinder much it may give you a slightly higer top end due to length the variator can travel along hence pushing belt higher up the pulley faces.

again im not to sure on the variator facing plate 4mm is not alot so i would not expect a change would be hard hitting , take a marker pen and colour a line on the face of the variator from the center hole to the very outer edge on the face like a 5mm wide strip . fit it to the scoot slip belt on and hanker down that face plate. fit cover and go for a ride . open it right up to max speed then come home.

once home pull of the side case and slowly rotate the crank so you can see that pen line you marked how much has worn off . is it all worn of right to the very top edge or is there a bit of the line left. thats going to give you an idea when at full top speed and high ratio where the belt is riding on the front pulley ;) , higher the belt rides the higher the full ratio is gained , usually find about 5mm to 7mm is left from the edge of the pulley going down into the center .

5. Brie

Brie New Member

Thanks for your very informative response.

My only concern is that the 87mm variator would be too small (since the original is 91mm), hence that the belt would travel over the complete variator and mess things up inside the variator. However, by looking at the original variator it seems that the belt is only travelling about 85mm up which would leave around 2mm on this new smaller variator.

Also, I thought that a longer boss would give me a lower top speed?

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    no buddy extending the boss just means the distance between the faces is a little longer. some upgrade variators come with a standard length boss and a couple speed shims that extend the bosses length by a couple of mm at most, others have a slightly longer boss .

have a try at the marker pen method just run the bike upto its usual topspeed you were getting ie 45mph . pop the side case off have a gander at the pen marking. if its got a little extra penmarking pop out again wind throttle upto say 49-50mph come back pop of side case have a look at the pen marking less pen marking the closer to the variator edge your getting and the slightly higher ratio gain so a slightly higher top speed.

7. Brie

Brie New Member

Update:

Replaced the variator and it runs fine again. It was that simple :)

Just want to thank everyone for helping me out in this matter. Really appreciate it!