Kymco Agility 125 - Changing the brakes?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by kingzforever, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Hey guys,

I need new brakes it is making the grinding noise. I haven't changed them since I bought the scooter brand new. I trying to find out if it needs brake fluid too? I am already in the process of sorting out my middle/side stand so I have a lot to do.

I made list of other things to do for my scooter but will work at it one at time. Beforehand, I would like to get as much as I can before starting. I wished they sold a colored service manual book with precise details for my Kymco scooter?

Question:
    - Do scooter have brake fluid?

2. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Wow no shit your car has brake fluid??

scubabiker likes this.
  3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    two models of the kymco a dual disc version and a front disc rear drum model. would hedge a guess you have the rear drum model.

YES scooters have brake fluid its usually on the right hand side of the handle bars tucked under the handlebar coverings, some bikes like sym cover it and others like yamaha leave them uncovered. do you require it for a pad swap ........ possible .... you may want to add a little extra once new pads fitted etc etc. always good to have dot 3 -dot 4 fluid at hand.

rear shoes are a bit more a pain, you have to remove exhaust , to remove rear wheel to get at the rear drum shoes.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Haha akky back to his usual antics..
    Changing pads/ shoes isnt too bad. Is it front or back or both you are doing?
    I can write a little guide for you later if you wish?

Stevep likes this.
  5. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Lmao ...... it's the same person

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

6. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Eat a dick dickhead!!!

7. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Unless I'm missing something and you 2 know each other and this is just banter, I think it might be time to step back, breath and start again. Let's play nicely people [emoji8]

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

how is he supposed to eat his head? dont confuse the poor guy, his trio of braincells cant comprehend complex issues like that!
    anyway. i can make a start on the brake changing guide if you want?
    this is for disk brakes and just a general guide:

take the calliper mount bolts off, usually 2 and usually threadlocked/rusted.
    pull the calliper from the disk, it might behove you to use a screwdriver to lever it off. it can be tight on some scooters to get off because of the small wheel.
    next the brake pistons need to be pushed back in, you can use a tool made for it, or use again a screwdriver to lever them in, sometimes they go in by hand!
    then you can take the pads out, they are all differnt, if its a pin you pull/push it out, if its a bolt you obviously undo it.
    when you have the pads out give the calliper a bit of a cleanuse brake cleaner and a brush (old toothbrush does the job!)
    now check your fluid, it should be at the max mark on the reserviour. if its low you can top it up later, if its empty you will need to bleed the system later.
    stick your new pads in and be sure to coat the back of the pads with copper-ease it will stop squeeling.... (listen to my bmw to hear why!)
    put it all back together and pump the b rake a load of times before you ride it!
    if the fluid was low top it up after you put it together, and if it needs bleeding same applies, you cant bleed them while its apart...
    hope this helps!

Stevep likes this.
  9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Scuba
    Do a video;)

I've toyed with the idea of doing uTube vids for scooter builds and repairs and the like

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I dont have anything that needs new pads, i could grease the pads on the bmw i guess

11. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

He has no rib bones so he can easily reach it lol

I guess we got on the wrong foot. I don't normally react to childish people but got caught in his web lol

Sweet water under the bridge.

Cool, you guys were right there is brake fluid I checked the handle bar and found it. At what kilometers do you normally change the brake fluid?

12. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

I think the noise is coming from the front. Is the right hand brakes for the front or the back? When I press the right hand brakes it starts to grind?

13. sean178

sean178 Active Member

The right hand brake lever should control the front brake, the left the rear [emoji106]

kingzforever likes this.
  14. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Search "scooter brake pad change" on YouTube. There are loads of videos on there already [emoji106]

kingzforever likes this.
  15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I know you want to learn about how to maintain your own scooter, but if you're asking which lever does which, I think it would be best to take it to a competant mechanic and ask him to do it while you watch and he explains all.
    Brakes are not something you want to be messing with if you have little knowledge.

MARSH and sean178 like this.
  16. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Yes that confirms it. The noise is coming from the front. Cool, I checked out the youtub and it is using a brake pads and seem easier enough. Look like the back wheel are shoe brakes. I've changed my car my one last year and it seem identical. I have been servicing my own scooter recently; engine oil, light bulb, etc. I haven't done the CVT and brakes yet. So I am ticking it one at a time ;)

scubabiker likes this.
  17. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Guys, I feel really confident in changing the brake pads myself after watching it countless time on youtube. Now I need to buy new brake pads. I found some on ebay but noticed there are many brands and some are unbranded?

The unbranded brake pads are the exact ones but not sure on the quality? However, it is cheap as $10 the cost.

Anyone have any experience on the different types of brake pads i.e. Front ceramic vs Kevlar carbon brakes pads? Or any recommendations?

Forgot to ask earlier what do you recommend for brake fluid?

18. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

DOT 4 brake fluid
    EBC organic pads
    You won't need sintered or semi sintered pads for a scooter unless you are a lunk with the levers

19. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

Cool. Thanks. I did see the EBC organic pads on Ebay.

20. kingzforever

kingzforever New Member

[​IMG]

OK, these are the front brake pads for my scooter. Do they seem like they are almost brand new like the pads barely worned? I think I possibly need some new shoe brake for the rear wheels if that is the case?

What you guys think?